Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

9C with Spectra?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 07:30 PM
dave0101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9C with Spectra?

Somebody at the field told me the 8U would work with a Hitec Spectra module, and that he thought the 9C would also.

I wouldn't have guessed it, but does anyone have any idea about this? If it does, is it reliable enough given the potential liability?

Thanks for any comments
Old 11-23-2002, 08:32 PM
ec121k

Default 9C with Spectra?

How many threads must we have on this subject????

You are altering the FCC certificated transmitter if you do this. Look up past threads on this or ask Ann Marie at Futaba or the guys at HiTec. Nobody endorses it.

Check with the AMA about voiding your clubs liability insurance if you do this. They'll no doubt say you will.

Bottom line. Can you do it? Yes it may work. You might not be pulled off frequency far enough to effect other pilots. But is it really worth it?

Can we get over it already?????
Old 11-23-2002, 08:54 PM
dave0101

Default 9C with Spectra?

thanks for the clarification, sorry to have upset you.
Old 11-23-2002, 10:55 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default 9C with Spectra?

TO answer your question.
Electrically the module will work in the 8U and 9C. In the 9C the electronics are not 100% compatible so the signal is not as good as with the Hitec or 8U
Old 11-24-2002, 02:15 AM
dave0101

Default 9C with Spectra?

Thanks Geistware
Old 11-26-2002, 03:29 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default 9C with Spectra?

Dave,
Please don't feel bad for asking the question; however, it has been asked and beaten to death on this and many other forums, with extensive and many times harsh words passed between modelers over it.

I would just like to suggest that you might want to do a search prior to asking any technical questions you may have, as we find that the same questions get repeated over and over and in cases such as this one where the topic is volatile some folks get quite frustrated over the repeated discussions.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:45 AM
dave0101

Default 9C with Spectra?

Thanks for the well intended comment, but I must say, I really don't feel bad for asking the question. I do feel bad for people that are so misplaced with their focus they actually get emotional as if they're the one paying for the bandwidth consumed by posters to the web site.... As you have demonstrated, it can be said so much more politely.

Then again, after searching on the topic, the true answer was not easy to uncover, Geistware helped cut to the chase. Of course after being flamed I repeated my initial search. The fact that some of people are afraid to swap crystals, and some say they have been doing it for 20 years clearly put this issue hard to decipher.

These small PC manufacturers violated FCC rules for years with custom built PC systems; the FCC finally changed the rules allowing for component qualification without the need for end system testing for PCs, specifically to accommodate this market need. Not that this has immediate bearing on an intentional radiator, but it does demonstrate that reasonable measures should be allowed, and will be if the market, and the manufacturers push enough.

Anyway, it's late, I probably shouldn't have responded... I just can't help but argue that the one response to this thread that applied to the subject matter added value that was not easily uncovered through searches. I will ask questions again, and if somebody doesn't want to read my thread, I hope they just don't read it...
Old 11-26-2002, 06:15 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 9C with Spectra?

Bravo Dave0101,

Sometimes the older posters forget that when the post dissappears into the distant past (which is the case for this subject matter) it is not readilly available without a detail search. I for one frequent this board on a regular basis looking for, what is to me, new topics. It is purely a browse and if I had to make sure no one else had ask the same question in near or distant memory I wouldn't be spending much time on these boards. And, since this is not a government, AMA, or factory-sponsored information source sometimes the "you can't do that because it is not allowed" is not what the poster is looking for.

Dave0101,

The Hitec Spectrum module is used by hundreds, if not thousands, of Futaba 8AU and 9C owners with little or no difficulty. I vaguely remember a distant post that even acknowledged that they are used more in Futaba TXs than Hitec TXs. There has been some concerned with the 9C's compatibility. I have never seen a post that raised a concern witht the 8AU's compatibility. I personally have a Futaba 8AU, a Futaba 9C, and a Hitec Eclipse. I have the Spectrum module in my Eclipse. Though I have inserted and successfully tested it in both Futaba's I do not use it in them -- my personal choice.

NOTE: What you must be aware of is this combination is not supported by either Futaba or Hitec. Their bottom line is they have not certified this combination. It has been posted that both FCC and AMA has come out with a postion that it is an illegal combination. With the exception of the 9C, nether Futaba nor Hitec has officially reported that this combination does not work. The Hitec rep on this forum has raised concerns about the module's compatibility with the Futaba 9C.

amcross -- really am surprised at your response here, it does not provide a good welcome attitude for new posters like Dave0101.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:39 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default 9C with Spectra?

Dave and Jim,
My apologies. My post was not intended to come off harshly at all. I was actually trying to soften the blow of EC's post.

I apologize if my suggestion came off as unfriendly. It was not intended to do so by any means. However, i do stand by my suggestion to all users, though, that it's really helpful to search for a topic before you post. Often you will gleen far more useful information from reading the past discussions, and get your answer quickly and easily. If you don't suggest people search for info before asking questions, then i guess i see no point to the enormous archive we have of prior discussions. Also, at least in most cases, I would suspect that for the modeler asking, the ideal would be an immediate answer to your query, rather than posting a question and getting an answer somewhere between 5 minutes and 5 days from now, depending upon the question.

So Dave, again, if I came off at all unfriendly, I sincerely apologize! Welcome to RCU!!! I hope you enjoy the site and stay around!
Old 11-26-2002, 07:52 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default 9C with Spectra?

Ann,
I don't think your post was out of line. As a manufacturer, you cannot come out and support an undocumented and/or unsupported combination of systems that could have legal ramifications! as I have said to you in the past, many of us welcome your honest and frank input. Don't get dejected by the few who do not value your wisdom.