RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

hitec 5645 servo failure

Old 11-27-2002, 04:39 PM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default hitec 5645 servo failure

this past weekend while flying my aeroworks 90 size edge practicing spins and snaps the plane went into an uncommanded upright flat spin and into the ground. once i got the plane back to the pitts, i found out that the rudder servo seemed to work, but after a minute or two it locked up full left. this servo is about 2 months old and was purchased new from tower hobbies.
it seems that, from reading in these forums, these servos have had other problems with locking to left and the plane going into a flat spin and hitting the ground.
has anyone found out whats going on with these?? i've got another 5645 on the rudder of my u can do 3d, along with 2 5625's for elevators and i don't want to lose another plane.
i'm using r-148dp futaba receivers with a 9cap radio.
thanks guys.
tony
Old 11-27-2002, 06:59 PM
Giant Scale

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry to hear about your loss hope you can rebuild her.Basically all you can do is reset the servo to make sure it has the latest version of the program. Then test the hell out of the servo's on the bench before putting them in a plane. I'd return the servo to hitec, they should replace it for you.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:16 PM
N55340
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry to here about your plane. I just went through the same thing, but I fortunately managed to get by plane down safely by shear luck. After reseting and testing the 5625 it turned out to be bad. Install a new 5645 in its place and had the same problem again.

I was using a 9C with a Hitec 3200 receiver. Moved to a Futaba receiver and the problem moved to a different surface. Ultimately, I switched all the servos out for Futaba servos and no more problems. The rest of my fleet containing Hitec digital servos are grounded until I get some answers.

It looks like to me from reading other posts that the 5625s have an extremely high failure rate, but I can't help but think there is another problem.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:51 PM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Did you check the date code on them ?
Old 12-17-2002, 05:31 PM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yes i checked the date code, it is march 2002. i also called hitec and they said that they don't know why this happened and told me to send it back. waiting for a response as to the problem.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:04 PM
Crashem

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

vatechguy3,

Sorry for your loss!!

With all the problems people are reporting with these servos why is it that Hitec can find nothing wrong?

Does anybody other then Hitec have the expertise necessary to diagnose this intermittent fault? Maybe someone with that knowledge could do some independent testing to confirm or deny the problem. Yours not the first plane to meet its demise in this manner..
Old 12-22-2002, 10:10 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is something to think about, if you have a Hitec servo lock over on you in flight. I have read in several of the recent posts about Hitec digital servos locking over, that when the pilots turned on their radios, the servos functioned normaly again.
If you have time you may as well switch your radio off and on, and see if you can regain control of your plane.
Does this make any sense?

Greg
Old 12-22-2002, 12:00 PM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hitec has knowed about this problem for some time now. I would have thought they had fixed them my now. I have heard of some large planes lost. I just hope no one gets hurt!

Doug
Old 12-22-2002, 02:58 PM
Carroll-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Amazing!

I keep reading these stories about Hitec failures and plane loses.
Why in the world would a person build a $1000 to $5000 plane, spend $800 to $1500 dollars for an engine then buy the cheapest servo on the market? Doesn't make sense especially after all the horror stories about Hitec servo failures.
I have had one servo failure in 14 years of flying and that was a Futaba 9102 that was already several years old with over 100 flights on it.
It sounds to me that Hitec has no quality control or thought about the end process of their product. I bought three of their servos last year and two of the three were bad out of the box.
I certainly won't support Hitec by purchasing their servos.
This is my opinion and not inteneded to offend any Hitec users....
Carroll
Old 12-22-2002, 06:12 PM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Wish I knew

I wish I knew what was the right equipment to buy.. I have only had failures on Futuba, Ace, Hitec, FMA, Haven't tried JR.

But the maybe I just fly too much, or put too much stress (g's)
on the parts.

vettdvr