Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Reciever/distance

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 04:09 PM
rideredintn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reciever/distance

I recently lost a trainer to failed reciever or over distance. What I would like is a reciever recommedation and an idea of the range I can exspect.

Thanks Estacy

[email protected]
Old 11-26-2002, 06:35 PM
Crashem

how about the same brand as your TX.

Since some Tx use pos shift and others use neg shift Making a recommendation will do you no good.

If you want a recomendation other then manufacturer you need to state whate TX you will be using it with.

Otherwise FMA, hitec are good bets but again you need to know TX brand unless you buy a shift selectable rx
Old 11-26-2002, 07:29 PM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

A receiver really doesn't have a limit as far as distance. The transmitter however does.
This is taking into account that the receiver is in good operating condition.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:42 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Different models will have different ranges. I have found that Futaba seem to be OK at 50 paces (100-150 feet). As I understand JR has a longer range with the antennae collapsed.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:13 PM
thomasb

You can cut your Tx's radiated signal strength in half and overall range is only affected by about 25% (which still offers good range). In our hobby the most important aspect to range performance is usually on the Rx end. R/C Rx designs can vary in sensitivity and selectivity. Antenna installations will affect Rx range too, as will localized RFI noise issues on the model.

Not counting some of the low cost park flyer Rx's, nearly all modern R/C Rx's will offer beyond visual range performance. But there are design differences that may matter if you are in a noisy environment (EMI/RFI) or tend to fly using binoculars.

In any case, if a ground range test shows trouble, then do not go up.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:03 PM
Gary Retterbush

A good radio system that is correctly installed will have more range than your eyes are good for.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:04 PM
rideredintn

thanks for all the responses. I have a Futaba Skyport 6 DA

estacy
Old 11-27-2002, 04:10 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sensitivity is a function of the receiver, not the transmitter as said above. All RC transmitters (in the USA) are limited by law to about 750 milliwatts. That is input to the final, not RF output. Depending on the efficiency of the design, most all transmitters of the major brands put out equal power. The sensitivity of the receivers can vary greatly, check out the microvolts/meter spec to see which are the better ones. Each manufacturer should have this specification available to you. Antenna design, placement and location at both receiver and transmitter, can have great effect on usable range. No two setups, even using identical equipment, will be exactly the same.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:11 PM
rorywquin

Your aircraft should be close enough to you so that you can easily note the attidude and orientation of your plane at all times - at that range, unless there is a fault somewhere you will never have a range problem.

A FAQ from people new to the hobby is "how far away can it fly?" -and we all know the answer - further than you can see!

I learned to fly over a wheat field and had a real wake-up call when I moved to the UK flying in a small field surrounded by trees. But.......it has improved my flying!