RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Cirrus TX

Old 11-27-2002, 10:18 PM
walkingtall
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cirrus TX

Hey folks,

I had a friend who's father-in-law used to fly r/c planes and had a lot of stuff packed up. He had a new Pipper Cub J3 ARF. OS .25 motor (new), a used Cirrus 4 channel TX and receiver and 3 servos and some misc. stuff that he sold me for $60.00, yep $60.00.

Here is the thing, I am just getting involved in this and have no idea what I have. Is the Cirrus any good, how old is it and can I use it or the servos? The Cub and the motor are brand new so I think they will be ok. Any advise on what I have and if it can be used or should I just start from scratch on the Cirrus.

Thanks,
Walkingtall
Old 11-28-2002, 03:28 AM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cirrus TX

Hi Walking tall first off welcome to the sport and the board. Lets talk about the radio. Cirrus was marketed by a national chain store called Hobby Shack in the eighties and that brand is now defunct and I am not sure exactly when this happened. It is important because in 1991 the industry underwent a major overhaul of the frequency spectrum that gave us many more channels to use but the price of the change was something called narrow banding. Our equipment had to be made to a more narrow frequency selectivity than before. It was possible for some of the older transmitters to be checked by a shop and with the addition of a new narrow band receiver could still be used. If this was done your transmitter will have a gold colored sticker somewhere on it but I doubt that is the case. The problem with this it got to be expensive especially with the required addition of a new receiver and with a radio of unknown origin that was usually not a good idea.

Now there is another factor with the Cirrus . They used proprietary plugs for harness and sevos that is no longer used by anyone. While it certainly is possible to replace them or modify them to work with modern equipment if as I suspect you are just getting started its not a good idea for now. For your ultimate success may I suggest you start with a new radio outfit that is far superior to the old stuff and inexpensive.

What you need to do before you buy anything is to find a club either through your local hobby shop or through the AMA website and take your airplane to the field and simply ask how to get started. I am sure you will be guided in the right direction And you will get a lot more guidence here by other posters.

John
Old 12-03-2002, 12:59 PM
jetranger-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default radio

Your Cirrus radio was made by Futaba it's either a Conquest or an Attack Send it to KMI -Pete can up date the set to gold but the RX may not make it but he can tighten it up. Most likly you have the flat Fut. plugs on it I do not think they came with the three pin G type the sevros will be Fut 148 or 28
Old 12-04-2002, 06:01 AM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: radio

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jetranger
Most likly you have the flat Fut. plugs on it I do not think they came with the three pin G type [/QUOTE

The plugs used by Cirrus were proprietary plugs common to neither the Futaba J or G type. Gray in color they were very close to the J type with the same wire orientation to the tabs however unlike the Futaba J with a single tab the Cirrus used a double slotted tab which means without modifacation a Futaba 'J' servo could be plugged into a cirrus receiver but a Cirrus servo could not be plugged into a Futaba 'J' plug receiver.

John
Old 12-05-2002, 01:56 AM
jetranger-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Plugs

If you have Cirrus servos that have a flange on both sides just match the plug up with a Futaba wire color wise and cut off the extra flange thats all I have Cirrus servos with the flat gray plus and they are the same as Futaba yours mite be a little older