Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Synth Buster - Hitec in a Futaba 9C Super

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Pops44RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synth Buster - Hitec in a Futaba 9C Super

Recently I have had 2 different discussions about synth modules and the Futaba 9C and 9Z.
The first was an experience a friend related when he tried using the 9Z with his Hitec
Electron 6 receivers he found they were not compatible.
The 2nd related story was the Hitec Spectra module would work in the Futaba 9C.

I understand the 9Z is a different chassis and design from the 9C so further discussion
about that platform can probably be set aside.
All of the preceding brings me to ask the questions:
Will Hitec receivers i.e. Electron 6 work with the Futaba synth module in the 9C Super?
Is the synth module only functional with PCM receivers? (That would explain the first question if Yes)
Will the Hitec Spectra module work correctly in the 9C Super? (That's the bonus question)

Because I have more Hitec Electron 6 receivers than Futaba and am seriously considering the 9C Super
as a new season purchase, I respectfully ask the forum to help bust or dispel the myth of the 9C,
Hitec receiver and Spectra module.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:38 AM
carrellh

Default RE: Synth Buster - Hitec in a Futaba 9C Super

Hitec RF modules are not FCC certified for use in Futaba transmitters.

Using a Futaba synthesized module in the 9C it is compatible with PPM or PCM Futaba receivers. Theoretically it should be compatible with any brand negative shift PPM receiver.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:36 AM
Kema

ORIGINAL: carrellh

Hitec RF modules are not FCC certified for use in Futaba transmitters.

Using a Futaba synthesized module in the 9C it is compatible with PPM or PCM Futaba receivers. Theoretically it should be compatible with any brand negative shift PPM receiver.
Older Schulze PPM-receivers dont work with Futaba synth module. So there is some deviations with PPM receivers. Newer Schulze-receiver manual even says that they have special "Futaba TX synthesizer modulation mode". I would stay using only Futaba receivers on all planes other than little park flyers. I have had several issues with 3rd party receivers and I have replaced all of them.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Might be interesting to see if there is anymore input on this since I have a 9CAPS and a 9ZAP WC-2.

I can tell you there are some PPM receivers that will not work with the synthesized module on the 9Z, some will. I've been told by the Hitec rep that it has to do with what he called "proprietary" programming in the synthesized module. Neither Futaba nor JR would comment on why it wouldn't work with some rx's but did on others. It's been suggested that the 9Z will work if I switch to a fixed frequency module.

On my 9C, it works fine with the other brand negative shift PPM rx's. But it is the fixed frequency module and I've not had reason to buy a synthesized module for it, so I can't say about the 9C synthesized module. But I'd almost be willing to bet it won't work if what I was told about the 9Z module is accurate, why would Futaba change the programming for the 9C module? To make it work with other brands of rx's? I don't think so... [&o]

This isn't a big problem since the 9C is used as a backup right now and to fly the foamies, but it's kind of a pain to not be able to use the 9Z on my foamies. All my other models use Futaba PCM rx's...
Old 02-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Pops44RC

Thanks for the input. All of my models are on the same frequency right now
so when I pull the trigger on the 9C super I will go with the single freq. module.

It is just that lately the addiction to RC has approached a chronic state
and some of the items I have been eying have receivers of a different channel
than my current xmtr, some Hitec, some Futaba.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well you'll like the 9CAP Super, it's a great radio with lots of capabilities and it's pretty user friendly whereas the 9Z is not very user friendly. I was just really intrigued with what the 9Z will do, but I only got to fly it a few times before the snow shut us down for the Winter around here.

I can sympathize with the RC addiction as I too have suffered it after retiring last year and looking for something interesting to do, I'd forgotten about my childhood addiction to models when I couldn't afford RC.

As for the other part of your problem, rx crystals are pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things...