Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Looking at two radios, IYO, which is better and why?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Looking at two radios, IYO, which is better and why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 02:23 AM
G1K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at two radios, IYO, which is better and why?

I have narrowed my radio search to two models. Multiplex 3030, and the Futaba 9c. I currently have all futaba equip (servos, switches etc) but my receivers are all toast.

So... why would I choose one over the other? Will I be able to get parts and acc. and support from the Multiplex easily? I can currently just drive to the LHS for a servo.

All comments (related to this topic ) are welcome.

TIA
Ryan
Old 11-29-2002, 05:43 AM
IronZ
My Feedback: (3)

I can't do a comparison, but MAN do I love my 9CAP. Just had to say it.

IronZ
Old 11-29-2002, 06:09 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The Multiplex will blow away the Futaba in flexibility of programming and range. And in my experience, the MPX is infinitely more reliable than brand F (two nice turbine planes destroyed by Futaba crap). Ernie Pritchard in Arizona is the MPX repair guy and he is top notch. You can use any servo ya want, no need to use MPX sevos, although the digitals are top of the line. In the past 30 years, I have had all of the major radio brands and for the last two years I have flown MPX exclusively. Nothing else compares.
Old 11-29-2002, 12:33 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Wocketman (love that name)--I started with Futaba, spent years with JR, and now fly MPX. The 3030 is slowly being replaced by the EVO, so right now they have a great deal going on while they "bring in the new"--been using their servos for many years, and their transmitter for a few with never a glitch. I have never had TOO MANY problems with the other brands, but I really love the German technogoly and craftmanship. It does take a while to figure out that it is a totally different programing mindset than what you are used to with JR and Futaba. I have heard many say they are not too pretty--to which I say "I don't look at the transmitter when I fly anyway".
Old 11-29-2002, 02:56 PM
G1K

Programming won't be an issue, since I don't have any experience with computer radios... I assume the sticks still do the same things?

Ryan
Old 11-29-2002, 03:16 PM
Woketman

That's one big advantage with brand M. The sticks WILL do the same things if you set it up that way. Or you can set it up so that the sticks will do really weird stuff, if you have a bizarre application that demands that. Simply the most versatility you can get in a consumer R/C system, period (also the best range and, in my opinion, the best reliability).
Old 11-29-2002, 04:18 PM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

I also would recommend you the mc3030 !
Even though you say you don'y have any experience with computer radios, since you are thinking about getting one, obviously you feel the need.
Once you get into the programming, the 3030 will be much more flexible ans easy in its programming.
I switched from a Multiplex Cockpit MM to a mc 3030 about a year ago. I read throught the handbook once or twice when I got the TX, and haven't needed it since , it is that easy !

And, if you want to go on using Futaba receivers, MPX USA can fit your TX with a selector switch between pos. and neg. frequency shift ( MPX TX's come from the factory with pos. shift).

And, like AJF--2 says, MPX currently has a really good price on the 3030 $ 350.- for the TX.
A few days ago, one went on eBay for $ 280.- !

Michael
Old 11-30-2002, 01:28 AM
ec121k

If your receivers are "Toast", and you go with the Multiplex gear, why would you even consider a brand F receiver unless it is brand FMA Direct???.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:09 PM
Woketman

Why would anyone even consider an FMA receiver? Now that IPD technology is here, giving us the best of both the PPM and PCM worlds, it is the only choice of receiver for a plane that I care about!
Old 11-30-2002, 03:55 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

And if you can spend a bit more, OK a lot more, look at the MC 4000,
I have owned just about every Multiplex radios in the last 20 years, and its been a steady improvement in high tech.

I agree that the 3030 is in direct competition with JR 10xx and Futaba 9Z etc. and the 4000 is in a class all by itself.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:44 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Since the mid 7os I have owned ordinary radios by Futaba, JR and Sanwa, and computer radios by Futaba, JR and Multiplex. I could not honestly say that any brand in my experience is any more or less reliable than another. I have owned Futaba for far longer than I owned any other brand. But for computer radios there is only one brand that gets my money nowadays, Multiplex. The Multiplex concept of programming simply destroys and buries anything made by Futaba and JR. IMO there is nothing by Futaba/JR that even comes close to the simplicity and astounding flexibility of Multiplex, they just are not in the same league.
Old 12-01-2002, 03:10 AM
ec121k

I'm comparing the FMA against the Futaba 127. I agree with you about the Multiplex receivers.
I ask again. Why would anyone spend money on a 127? After all it's the latest and greatest in 1980'a technology. Now if you're into boats, they would make a good anchor.
Old 12-01-2002, 03:21 AM
Woketman

OK, I see. I agree with you, except on the point about the anchor. A 9ZAP transmitter would work far, far better!
Old 12-01-2002, 09:17 AM
GasNewBoy

I have just gone this route - I have flown only Futaba for 5 years, most recently the 8UAP but have now bought a mc3030. It is an incredible radio but as some of the other guys have mentioned it is a completely different mind set to setting it up. Forget the computer part... just to install and set up aileron, elevator, throttle can take a whole morning!!! Te 'How To' manual is 94 pages long!!! But Boy Oh Boy.... all this means that is is one mighty powerful beast. AND YOU HAVE 99 MODEL MEMORIES as stabndard!!

They only do PPM now. Since the introduction of the IPD technology thta is betre than PCM they have discontinued their PCM offering.

The only thing that has bitten me so far is that the Futaba 9202 servos in my CAP don't work properly ...terrible jitter. Other Futaba servos seem OK.

Buy it ..... you'll never regret it
Old 12-01-2002, 09:30 AM
HarryC

Originally posted by GasNewBoy
just to install and set up aileron, elevator, throttle can take a whole morning!!!
It should take 20 seconds to have those functions and servos assigned by copying from your master memory! Allow another 60 seconds if you have to alter direction and travel of all 3-4 servos. What are you doing that takes so long?
Old 12-01-2002, 01:49 PM
olivier

Hi all Multiplex lovers,

You don't have to convince me about the possibilities of the MC3030. The only member of our club with a Multiplex did it : I think the limitation of possibilities of a MC3030 is restricted by one's own imagination. Whatever you want the radio to do, you can program it (I own unfortunately a Robbe/Futaba FC18).

Now my question (as a hand-held user of the FC18) :
Is anybody using a MC3030 as a hand-held transmitter. Or do you all (have to) use the 3030 as a "tray-transmitter" (or how do you call that??).
The only reason why I am in doubt of purchasing this fantastic radio is this : it must be a hand-held radio for me.
Of course, I could not hesitate and by me the new Royal Evo.But I should have to study the manual to see for the possibilities, if it's also so flexible.
Olivier
Old 12-01-2002, 01:58 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Originally posted by olivier
Hi all Multiplex lovers,

You don't have to convince me about the possibilities of the MC3030. The only member of our club with a Multiplex did it : I think the limitation of possibilities of a MC3030 is restricted by one's own imagination. Whatever you want the radio to do, you can program it (I own unfortunately a Robbe/Futaba FC18).

Now my question (as a hand-held user of the FC18) :
Is anybody using a MC3030 as a hand-held transmitter. Or do you all (have to) use the 3030 as a "tray-transmitter" (or how do you call that??).
The only reason why I am in doubt of purchasing this fantastic radio is this : it must be a hand-held radio for me.
Of course, I could not hesitate and by me the new Royal Evo.But I should have to study the manual to see for the possibilities, if it's also so flexible.
Olivier
You bring out a very good point with the tray/hand consideration.

I can tell you from my own experience, that when I sold my 3030 to my flying buddy, he doesn't use a tray, and I was concerned about it. We installed the regular short sticks, (long for tray users) and using a neck strap (optional) he found no problem whatsoever. The transmitter is wider then the Japonese counterpart, but the sticks are close to the side of the TX which is perfectly balanced.

You could try your friend's TX in this way to check for yourself for the comfort zone..
Hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2002, 02:07 PM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

I also use it as a handheld TX, and sometimes use a neckstrap.
Even though at first sight, the 3030 appears not to be a good choice as a handheld TX, I found that it is quite comfortable to hold, I think this is due to the low height of the housing. Having relatively big hands, I even use the long sticks in handheld mode.

Michael
Old 12-01-2002, 02:54 PM
Woketman

I have been flying turbines with the Profi 4000 (same TX layout as the 3030) for two years and I fly with thumbs and hold it with no tray or strap. I love it, no issues. I now know that I can fly a pizza box! I use the medium sized stick on the right (ail & ele) and the short stick on the left (rud & thr).
Old 12-01-2002, 04:49 PM
HarryC

Originally posted by olivier
Is anybody using a MC3030 as a hand-held transmitter.
Yes, hand held, thumbs on top of sticks, as do almost all the Multiplex users in my club. It is only jealous Futaba/JR users who spread the lies about these being tray radios.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:31 PM
Woketman

Harry hit the jealousy nail on the head! I LOVE MY MPX!!!