Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Airtronics Stylus

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 09:18 PM
joshbud
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtronics Stylus

Why stylus transmitter so "PRICEY",to be honest, I grouped
AIRTRONICS, HITEC,ARISTO-CRAFT ect... together a notch
below JR & FUTABA. Am I missing out on something, how does it compare to TOP SHELF JR & FUTABA PRODUCTS?
Old 11-17-2002, 04:20 AM
Randy Smith

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I'm biased because I am a Stylus user. However, I have used and programmed JR 8103, Futaba, Hitec Eclipse, and others and none beats the Stylus for the easy user interface of programming. It has the most intuitive and English language prompts of any of these radios. It's dead easy.

Also, the Stylus offers the ability to plug in a 50 model memory card in the side. I have all my models on the one card. I own only the Stylus Tx. No need for anything else. For Aerobatic types, Glider experts, or Chopper guys, you can also buy specific programming cards to add numerous programming features and mixers specific to these aircraft. Ultimate in flexibility. Also, high quality electronic hardware and design.

The only down side is no digital trims (if you like digital trims). It does have trim memory so you just press a button after your flight to "remember" the trim setting and then bring your trims back to center.

R. Smith
Old 11-17-2002, 05:30 AM
Joe B.

As an 'ex' Aitronics user, there is no shortcomings in Airtronics equipment - period. Definately not the most visible manufacturer but I always liked their radios and (knock on wood) never lost a plane because of a failure of theirs. Top notch equipment, they just dont get the visibility others do.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:03 PM
Schuie Driver

You know it's funny this thread just popped up. I have been looking at the JR XP8103 and the new Futaba 9C as my only real options for a new helicopter I just purchased. Then I came across a video of Alan Szabo Jr. flying the CRAP out of a Raptor 50 with his Stylus and I started taking a look at that radio. With all of the features it offers I really DON'T understand why more people don't use it especially considering it offers 7 point throttle and pitch curves.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:50 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Customer Service is "Incredible"!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2002, 02:30 PM
rusgmil

Been using Airtronic radios since 1980 (used MRC before that) and now only have one Stylus transmitter with the 50 memory card with 14 models in memory. I think all radio equipment sold now is equal in reliablity and quality. Popularity is probably due to advertising budgets and what the local gurus are flying than anything else. Having set up other peoples models with JR and Futaba equipment, I think Airtronic transmitters are much easier to program. I do not like digitals trims. IMHO trim memory is better.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:46 PM
joshbud

Default STYLUS-FUT-JR

Boy, I am getting exactly what I wanted from this thread I posted.
I too am begining to shop for another TX. Little over 1 year ago,
I was owner of an illegal AM radio, coupled to the "FLYING 57",
so named because its original design was impossible to pin down.
Too many "HARD", landings. Hence the name, sorta like seeing a dog that has obvious leniage,but too many limbs on the tree to
dicern its exact pedigree. Having been out of this HOBBY for about
25 yrs,"Never R/C , WAY OUT FINANCIALLY", U-contol,TESTORS,
COX-049. Then, after glue no longer coul allow my plane to fly,
buying balsa kit. Never forget first one, "LIL`SATAN", no landing
gear, freaked me out. When my flying buddy let go, imediately
I realised two things: 1-it needed none 2-after controling the instant"WINGOVER',a manuever could not do with plastic COX`s
THIS BALSA WOOD IS WAY TO GO. BUT,back to STYLUS JR FUT,
paid $175.00 for" FLYING 57", about$125.00 too much,OS 40 FP
only redeeming factor. Never can too much research be done,even
the asking dumb questions. In this one year, we bought SKYSPORT
FUT, then 3 6xas fut & Probably 20 or so planes, ranging from
DIAMOND DUST 40GRRT MVVS, to HORIZON CAP 232, with S.T.2500.Now we are ready for next step, a more serious RADIO.
ALL opinions,personal experiances,even word of mouth, truly would
be appreciated.THANKS Y`ALL
Old 11-18-2002, 05:14 AM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Does no one here fly multiple model types using different function cards with their Stylus? Having to wipe all the internal memories and reload from the 50-model card each time I switch feature cards would drive me nuts. Thank goodness I only fly sailplanes with mine.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:36 PM
nocrash
My Feedback: (18)

Airtronics makes great radio equipment. Not many people at my flying use Airtronics but the few of us who do are sold. I flew JR back in the late 80's, switched over to Airtronics when JR's prices when up. I tried Hitec but did not like their transmitters. All of my car and boat RC equipment is Futaba (same brand since the 80's). I have not experienced any difference in quality between JR, Futaba, Airtronics, or Hitec. I mix compatible components often. The bottom line is buy what you have confidence in, but don't knock other brands if you don't have any experience with them. If you talk to people who have experience with the four brands I listed you will find that most will prefer one over the other for personal reasons not lack of quality.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:56 PM
jabowil-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

Does anyone know if the Stylus can be programmed to run two elevator servos? Not with a "Y", but through two channels.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:02 PM
visioneer_one

Do it with a PMIX or buy the latest Acro card for a ready-made "ailivator" mix. (I think I butchered the spelling of that one)
Old 11-23-2002, 06:38 AM
Randy Smith

Yes, two elevator servos can be run with the Stylus using two channels. I fly a V-Tail Quickie 500 pylon racer. I use the B-Mix function mixing elevator and rudder.

If you don't have a V-Tail but just want individual elevator servos, it can be done as well. Likely just another mixer as indicated by visioneer_one

PS. Stylus is the best kept secret in RC......... shhhhhhhh !

R. Smith
Old 11-23-2002, 02:27 PM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Just to satisfy my curiosity, why are you buying a radio that does not have all the functions and mixers and memory already built in? Why would you buy a radio that you then have to buy additional cards for? What is so good about it to offset a lack of built in features when you bought it?

Harry
Old 11-23-2002, 11:11 PM
Randy Smith

Hi Harry,
The Stylus comes with a very good compliment of features for mixing, dual rates, exponential already on board. It's stock feature set is as good as any of the other radio brands. It also has four model memory in it's base feature compliment.

By purchasing a aerobatic, glider, or heli card you can significantly increase the programability, mixers and overall features specifically for those types of aircraft. This make the Stylus a "customized power house" for a 3D aerobatic ship, glider or heli. You do not have to purchase the extra program cards. I am a sport flyer and a pylon racer. The stock feature set serves me just fine. It provides more features than I would ever use. However, others who are deep into competition in these other specific aircraft find the expansion cards useful.

Also, the 50 model memory card allows for expandability beyond the basic four models. I have as many as 12 or 15 models on my memory card so far and often make small changes to a program for tweaking purposes and store it as a separate model. That way I can experiment with various program settings without losing the one that I know flys well. Other radio manufacturers use similar expansion chip strategies. There is no need for more than one transmitter. I own only one and have all my models on it. How many guys do you know that have multiple transmitters to support their fleet of planes ?

Randy S.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:11 AM
Legend4

I am not an Airtronics user.
At least not yet. So please correct me if I am wrong on this one.

One reason for the cards that sound good to me is the ability to up grade the transmitter with new functions with out having to go out and buy a whole new transmitter. An example of this would be CCPM for heli's. A lot of older radios do not have this so you would have to buy a new transmitter. Buying a new card for the Stylus sounds better to me. A lot less money and the money saved could be spent on more planes.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:09 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the link for the Stylus tansmitter and the cards:
http://www.airtronics.net/Aircraft_Stylus_Z.htm
I will answer some of your questions in a little more detail, I think.
Each link to a card lists all the features.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:51 PM
visioneer_one

Originally posted by Randy Smith
. . . It also has four model memory in it's base feature compliment.

By purchasing a aerobatic, glider, or heli card you can significantly increase the programability, mixers and overall features specifically for those types of aircraft. This make the Stylus a "customized power house" for a 3D aerobatic ship, glider or heli.
The cards are a big plus *if* you use the transmitter+card combo with that type of aircraft only.

Case in point. I used to have an 8103, which I primarily used for flying my sailplanes and electric models. That radio was quite well suited to that task, as its base featureset is quite robust. Some of its features are not laid out in the best way - flaps, for example. When using the GLID model type, the throttle stick becomes your flap stick, which works perfectly.

Problem - when setting up an electric sailplane with flaps (or flaperons/spoilerons) you can no longer use the GLID template - you have to use the ACRO template, which moves (variable) flap function onto one of the front-mounted pots, which SUCKS.

(Unless you can put your motor function onto a momentary switch - then you can use the GLID model type)

My Stylus OTOH has flap sliders on the rear of the case which are useable regardless of the model type. Furthermore, the GLID card's model type templates help to simplify setting up fairly complex models. This is great.

BUT

It became unnecessarily difficult to set up simple models when using the function card! Furthermore, if I'm using a function card all four internal memories can only hold models that correspond to the card.

If you're a sport flyer and fly different model types and are using one of the feature cards this SUCKS because every time you want to switch between model types you have to power down the radio, swap in (or out) the feature card, re-initialize the internal memories, swap in the 50-model-memory card and load that model into one of the internal memories. You also have to go through this dance if you are flying multiple models and have some set up with the feature card and some using the base feature set.

The only way to avoid this nonsense is to set up as many models using the your function card.

Ghod help you if you're using multiple function cards. Power down the radio, swap out the old card, swap in the new one, power up, re-initialize the internal memories, swap in the 50-model memory card, load your models into the internal memories.

Ridiculous!
Old 11-25-2002, 11:35 PM
Joe B.

Sounds like the 9C has all of this. As a recent convert from Airtronics to Futaba (for the 9c specifically) I LOVE the fact that you can assign any function to any switch, slider or knob. I also like that it does ACRO, GLID and HELI w/o cards and for $64 you can buy a 128k UltraPac which will give you somewhere around 50 total model memory slots. I'm not bashing Airtronics so don't think so and I've never had their 'flagship' radio so I can't comment on most of its features but having had a couple other of their radios (and prefering the Airtronics brand) and now jumped to the 9c I can say dollar for dollar it's the best thing going. Only catch was now all I have is ONE receiver Need more $$$ to buy more to get the rest of the fleet in the air!

- Joe
Old 12-01-2002, 10:21 PM
davo74

A friend of mine who is a religous airtronics user bought the stulus this spring, and had to return it threemonths later for repair because the computer went spastic! it was like the expo was on in reverse, if you moved the sticks about a quarter inch you had full travel on the airplane, yet none of the travels in the menu were set that way, after trying to reset the radio to no avail he finally sent it in, works fine now , not surewhat they told him the problem was.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:27 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Originally posted by visioneer_one
Does no one here fly multiple model types using different function cards with their Stylus? Having to wipe all the internal memories and reload from the 50-model card each time I switch feature cards would drive me nuts. Thank goodness I only fly sailplanes with mine.

Multiplex MC 3030 or MC 4000 99 memories and you don't need to plug in cards for different type of models its all there with even 13 point curve on every channel.

What the Stylus doesn, My 20 year old Multiplex was doing then

Go to this thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...431&forumid=27]
Old 12-19-2002, 09:08 AM
TXDA2000
My Feedback: (2)

Default Changing Cards

Up front I am a field rep for Airtronics.

As far as flying on different cards, here's my take on the subject. I often go out with my 40% IMAC plane and an XCell Fury Heli. I have literally spent all day going from one to the other every couple of flights. Really, its not that big of a hassle. Takes maybe two minutes to power down, insert the other feature card, power up, insert model memory card and choose model. The big down side to this is the card release lever is WEAK. I took some helicopter blade tape and made some pull tabs for the cards. That made all the difference in the world.

The 9C programming is about on par with the stylus w/ no feature cards installed. With the Acro or Heli card, the stylus is as powerful as a 9Z, but much easier to program. The JR stuff is way behind Futaba and Airtronics.

I've been with Airtronics for two years. For 15 years before that I flew Futaba and JR thru the 9Z and 10S. Had a 9Z for 8 years before switching to the Stylus. I used to put Airtronics in a lower category like most people until I really got to looking at the features.

The support is great. The only downside is upgrades come to the market slower than the other guys. I think most Airtronics guys are ready for a 9 channel Stylus with digital trims. Maybe a bigger screen. I would be more than satisfied if they kept the current software.

As far as dual elevator servos, with the acro card its much easier and does a better job than a 9Z. This comes from recent personal experience setting up my Carden Cap with my Stylus, and another guys cap with a WCII.

We won't even get into the servos, thats another discussion.

Daniel Rathbun
Team Airtronics
Old 12-19-2002, 03:01 PM
visioneer_one

Originally posted by aerografixs
Multiplex MC 3030 or MC 4000 99 memories and you don't need to plug in cards for different type of models its all there with even 13 point curve on every channel.
R - right now I have two 10X radios plus th Stylus. One for sailplanes, one for power planes, one for helis. (I fly all three types.)

I'm taking a long hard look at the Evo as a replacement for these three radios. I'm also considering the 3030 because its so bloody cheap right now. I'm just waiting to see some more details on the RE regarding the trainer system and the computer interface. A couple of reviews would be nice, too.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:49 AM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

I would like to add my 2 cents to this thread. My stylus used in my Univ. research project has passed the 500 hr. mark with no problems. I love the radio. I also have a number of older infinity 660 with a lot of hours and also no problems. Generally, the users of Airtronics do not sell their equipment because they are happy with it. Therefore, you seldom see used equipment on swap boards like these.

Personally, I hope the stylus never gets digital trims, I hate them. Out of trim airplanes are a real struggle to get in trim with digital trims.

Elson
Old 12-20-2002, 04:20 PM
SoarNeck

This is a post I made on the Ezone, but it seems relevent. I agree with bugman that digital trims aren't great, but I think the Profi (MPX) handles manual trims better. When you load a program, the transmitter prompts you to return the sliders to their last position with little arrows. The AutoTrim feature of the Stylus is less intuitive.

I hint at it in the message, but I really appreciate the fact that the Profi uses sub-c sized cells. It runs on 6 cells instead of the usual 8, so the pack weight is about the same, but sub-C's last MUCH longer on average, and tend to be more durable cells.

It does require that you use a peak charger instead of the wall charger (or find a 7.2V wall charger), but as far as I'm concerned, charging a radio or flight pack with a wall charger is borderline negligence. Sure that little light was on for 16 hours, but how much capacity does the cell really have?

I get about 4 hours of run-time on the 1300 SCE's that are in my Profi right now, but I'm tempted to try GP3300 Ni-Mh's (9 hours+).

Anyway:

"Let me throw in one more vote with the MPX club.

A few years ago I bought a MPX3030 (EVO uses much of the same programming) to suppliment the Futaba Super 8
that I was using, mainly to avoid having to use the throttle stick for both camber and crow. You only have to try
thermalling once with crow, then land with camber mode on, to see how dumb that setup is.

Anyhoo, I ordered a MPX radio without ever having seen one in the flesh (one of the first in Calgary, I'd wager). I was
shocked at the size of the Profi when it arrived, but soon got used to flying with a neckstrap...mainly for safety as
opposed to any issues with weight (I'm a thumb flier). I'm now very comfortable with my serving tray, and feel
insecure without a neckstrap.

The programming takes some getting used to after 8 years with Japanese boxes (JR 622, Futaba 8 & Super 8), but it's
SO much more powerful when you master the German way of doing things. And like anything, you really only need to
understand about 10% of it to get 90% of the functionality out.

Flash forward to this year, when I was given the opportunity to buy a brand new Stylus w/glider and memory cards
for $500 cdn (cheap eh?). I jumped at the chance, mainly because I could never manage to use the Profi for DLG's.

Well...now I ONLY use it for DLG's (and my HOB Microcub). I hate the stupid Stylus, since it's heavy, gaudy,
bass-ackwards to program, and it only runs for 2 hours on the standard battery (what a joke). Plus, while the card
concept isn't bad, it's covering up a fundamental design flaw. For example, if the Profi can have all it's
heli/boat/airplane functionality built in, why does a Stylus need a card? And while it's neat to be able to swap memory
cards with other Stylus users, it's pathetic that only four memory slots live in the radio.

My advice...get a MPX radio. I'm not going to sell my Stylus, but whenever I get a new model, it goes on the Profi.
Next year I may even learn to fly DLG's with it "