RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Which radio JR3810 or Futaba FF9

Old 11-29-2002, 08:57 AM
etgkdis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Which radio JR3810 or Futaba FF9

I want to buy a radio for my aircraft fluing.

Between JR3810 and Futaba FF9 which one would you recommend?
Old 11-29-2002, 04:13 PM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

when the US government buys Radios for drone programs and such they order JR
Nough said
Old 11-29-2002, 09:52 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ETG,
Plesae send an email to our automated sytem which reads:

9cvs8103 in the body and subject. Our auto system will give you a full detailed comparison of the two radios and lay out for you exactly why so many JR users are purchasing the 9C.
Old 11-29-2002, 10:16 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Exactly how many JR users are purchasing the 9C, AnnMarie? I know I'm not.
Old 11-29-2002, 11:39 PM
amcross

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi, Mike! I can't give you an exact count, but just a search of the threads on this site alone will point out numerous. And I talk/email with roughly 3-4 new customers weekly at work who were JR users but have now purchased the 9C.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:42 AM
DUCATI996

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi etgkdis/all:

I have the same dilemma, so you guys would be helping me also. I have two friends who just bought the 9C, but I would like to have a more solid argument to buy any of them then just follow the crowd. So I think this is the correct place to find the real reasons to choose either one.

Regards,

GL
Old 12-02-2002, 01:52 AM
amcross

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ducati,

Here's a partial version of what the autoresponder can provide you. Simply email support@futabarc.com with "9cvs8103" in the body of your email to get the more detailed version.

The primary advantage the 8103 has is 2 extra models.Otherwise the 8U has more flexibility and functionality, and the 9C has even more, and easier programming.

Support: We offer FAQs which are regularly updated, support the 9C owner's mailing list, offer email support (typically < 24 hours) and intelligent automated information.

Feature-by-feature comparison:
Ties:
the 8U/9C has campac ability vs the 8103s data safe and data transfer options (arguments can be made for either);
The 9C and 8103 have 8 char model name; 8U = 6.
The 8103 and 9C have servo display.

8U +s over 8103: 1 more switch, 4 digital trims & idle down/thr. cut (more versatile than analog trim)
all 4 modes, normal & functional trainer, support for flaperon/ail diff w/5-ch RX, throttle channel expo
1 more linear mix in acro/glider mode but 1 less free mix, yet 1 more heli revomix
snap programming has safety mode and direction switches, aileron differential programming within flaperon, vtail programming in acro mode, start offset and speed offset (progr. trim1 and trim2)/elevon in glider prog

HELI: invert pitch curve, delay on offset mixing; 1 more swash type HN3, governor progr.

eprom memory and can't fail a lithium battery, a diode for reverse polarity protection.
increased assignability (most mixes, etc, can be assigned to any switch in any position) for control of mixes and other functions, particularly dual rates

9C ADDS:
- resettable fuse instead of diode for cycling/protection.
- HELI MIXES: the 8U has 2 free mixes, not multipoint, in the heli mode and 3 multipoint revo mixes; the 8103 has 3 free mixes, 2 of which are multipopint, and 2 revo mixes, not multipoint. The 9C offers 2 not-multipoint mixes and 1 multipoint mix, plus the 3 multipoint revo mixes, but no invert programming.
- HELI CONDITIONS: offers an option for sep governor, gyro, and dual rate settings per condition.
- Heli 3rd idle up instead of an invert condition.
- Heli - throttle needle programming has 3 separate curves.
- Channel control selet for channels 5-9. The 8U does not offer this. The 8103 has channel control select for aux 2 (but far less switch assignability inother features than either 8U or 9C).
- 2 Sliders in addition to the 3 dials.
- A ninth, switch only, channel (available only with the 9Ch PCM receivers.)
- Easier menu layout for ease of programming.
- Programming dial for speed and ease of programming.
- TRIPLE RATES easily set up and assigned.
- Nearly 100% switch/channel/control assignability.
- Dial/Slider master control mixing capability UNIQUE ONLY TO THE 9C.
- 4 separate programmable snaps.

8103 +s:
2 more model memory
the 8103 has acceleration mixing in heli mode
the 8103 can discharge the tx battery through the charge jack; the 8U cannot but the 9C can.

9C vs the 8U: www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-9c.html
TO COMPARE the 9C to the 8U to the 9Z, etc, please see www.futabarc.com and go
to the radio comparisons chart.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:07 PM
DUCATI996

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Amcross:

Thank You VERY much for the excellent information ! I think I will be looking closer at the 9C.

Best Regards,

GL
Old 12-03-2002, 05:58 PM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by amcross

- Dial/Slider master control mixing capability
What is that and what does it do?

Harry
Old 12-03-2002, 07:09 PM
Crashem

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Futaba and JR Rx are not compatible if you own any Airtronics or JR RXs already you will need to also factor in their replacement cost as well. If you own hitec or shift selectable rx then this won't be a factor.

One other brand to look at Airtronics the RD8000 and stylus radios are a very good value. I'm in the same boat as you I'm trying to decide between the 8103 and the RD8000 or stylus.
I've owned Airtronics for 18 years and never realy had a problem or complaint.

Might want to look at the RD8000 seems to be that it does everything a sport pilot could want at a very affordable price

Just my 2 cents
Old 12-03-2002, 07:27 PM
IronZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I personally LOVE my 9C. I started with a cheaper JR (421EX) and it was nice, but when the time came to upgrade the deciding factor for me was price. The 9C has more features and is considerably less than the 8103. I can't say anything bad about JR other than the price. On the other hand, I don't have a single compaint about Futaba. My 2 cents.

IronZ
Old 12-03-2002, 10:59 PM
amcross

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Harry,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by amcross

- Dial/Slider master control mixing capability
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is that and what does it do?

Harry

these are mixes where the master is a dial or slider, NOT a channel. Great for making a second throttle trim, adjusting camber, and lots of other neat ideas.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:42 AM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm not sure that I follow you correctly Ann Marie. Do you mean mixing a slider into an existing control? So that say throttle stick and trim work as normal but a slider can be mixed in as well so that it acts like another trim lever? If so, what is unique to the 9C about that, can't any computer radio could do that? That's why I don't think I have understood you correctly.

Anyway it's an interesting idea, (like your one of using the rudder stick to switch the 3D rates/conditions on and off which I now use on all my aerobats.) I can't think of a need for it for me on throttle trim, and I don't fly gliders to want to trim the camber. Do you know of any more uses for it for fixed wing power flying fliers? I took a look at the 9C FAQ in case it contained some ideas but did not find any mention of it there.

Harry
Old 12-04-2002, 08:15 PM
amcross

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Harry,
the SLIDER is the master, not a channel that's on the slider. Even 9Z can't do that. for 9Z, lets say i want to be able to feather in rudder VERY gently while torque rolling to avoid over controlling on a model with very large tail surfaces.

the master is the SLIDER
the slave is rudder
the percent is, say 25%

now while flying instead of using the rudder stick and over correcting, i can use the slider. when coming out of the torque roll slide the slider back to neutral. now no need for an extra rudder rate, b/c you've essentially created it.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:49 PM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ann-Marie,
Why would you want to operate the rudder via a slider, which is not the way you are used to doing it, rather than just bringing in a very low rate on the rudder? Is it to push in a bit of rudder trim from the slider and leave it there, or dynamically use it to operate the rudder to maintain the hover? Since your thumb will still be on the stick to operate the throttle it seems to bring in the complication of having to think about another finger to operate the slider if you are using it to actually wiggle the rudder to maintain the hover. But if people have thought of it then there must be reason for doing it that way and I am curious to know about it.

So that's a feature "unique" to the new 9C? Perhaps you should amend the Futaba sales literature. You won't be surprised if I tell that you I can name at least 3, possibly 4, other radios that can do it. And one of those radios has been on sale for about 10 years. You know which ones they are! On my radio, which came out 7 years ago, I can have TWO sliders and the stick all operating the rudder (or any channel) and each of those 3 controls operating the rudder at their own individual travels, own expo, own 13 point curves, own rate switches etc.

Harry
Old 12-05-2002, 01:31 AM
MikeL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think what AnnMarie was describing is using the slider to control a variable-rate that the rudder responds to. The position of the slider determines the amount of throw availible to the rudder. Correct?
Old 12-05-2002, 12:29 PM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

etgkdis

There is always a big JR vs Futaba war going on. once you ask which is better, you had better be prepared to sift through a lot of opinions.

I personally am a JR flier. But the bottom line is. They are both high quality radios.
The service and support from both companies is great.
Make your choice by what features you need or may need in the future. Don't listen to the people who tell you one brand is no good, they are both good .
Old 12-05-2002, 01:51 PM
etgkdis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by jemo
etgkdis

There is always a big JR vs Futaba war going on. once you ask which is better, you had better be prepared to sift through a lot of opinions.

I personally am a JR flier. But the bottom line is. They are both high quality radios.
The service and support from both companies is great.
Make your choice by what features you need or may need in the future. Don't listen to the people who tell you one brand is no good, they are both good .
-------------------------------
Thank you. I think this is a very balanced view. However, the answer of amcross above was:

Here's a partial version of what the autoresponder can provide you. Simply email support@futabarc.com with "9cvs8103" in the body of your email to get the more detailed version.

The primary advantage the 8103 has is 2 extra models.Otherwise the 8U has more flexibility and functionality, and the 9C has even more, and easier programming.

Support: We offer FAQs which are regularly updated, support the 9C owner's mailing list, offer email support (typically < 24 hours) and intelligent automated information.

Feature-by-feature comparison:
Ties:
the 8U/9C has campac ability vs the 8103s data safe and data transfer options (arguments can be made for either);
The 9C and 8103 have 8 char model name; 8U = 6.
The 8103 and 9C have servo display.

8U +s over 8103: 1 more switch, 4 digital trims & idle down/thr. cut (more versatile than analog trim)
all 4 modes, normal & functional trainer, support for flaperon/ail diff w/5-ch RX, throttle channel expo
1 more linear mix in acro/glider mode but 1 less free mix, yet 1 more heli revomix
snap programming has safety mode and direction switches, aileron differential programming within flaperon, vtail programming in acro mode, start offset and speed offset (progr. trim1 and trim2)/elevon in glider prog

HELI: invert pitch curve, delay on offset mixing; 1 more swash type HN3, governor progr.

eprom memory and can't fail a lithium battery, a diode for reverse polarity protection.
increased assignability (most mixes, etc, can be assigned to any switch in any position) for control of mixes and other functions, particularly dual rates

9C ADDS:
- resettable fuse instead of diode for cycling/protection.
- HELI MIXES: the 8U has 2 free mixes, not multipoint, in the heli mode and 3 multipoint revo mixes; the 8103 has 3 free mixes, 2 of which are multipopint, and 2 revo mixes, not multipoint. The 9C offers 2 not-multipoint mixes and 1 multipoint mix, plus the 3 multipoint revo mixes, but no invert programming.
- HELI CONDITIONS: offers an option for sep governor, gyro, and dual rate settings per condition.
- Heli 3rd idle up instead of an invert condition.
- Heli - throttle needle programming has 3 separate curves.
- Channel control selet for channels 5-9. The 8U does not offer this. The 8103 has channel control select for aux 2 (but far less switch assignability inother features than either 8U or 9C).
- 2 Sliders in addition to the 3 dials.
- A ninth, switch only, channel (available only with the 9Ch PCM receivers.)
- Easier menu layout for ease of programming.
- Programming dial for speed and ease of programming.
- TRIPLE RATES easily set up and assigned.
- Nearly 100% switch/channel/control assignability.
- Dial/Slider master control mixing capability UNIQUE ONLY TO THE 9C.
- 4 separate programmable snaps.

8103 +s:
2 more model memory
the 8103 has acceleration mixing in heli mode
the 8103 can discharge the tx battery through the charge jack; the 8U cannot but the 9C can.

9C vs the 8U: www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-9c.html
TO COMPARE the 9C to the 8U to the 9Z, etc, please see www.futabarc.com and go
to the radio comparisons chart.

----------------
Is this true? does this consern the ADT JR 8103? Most people in favour of JR are telling me that one of the main advantages is that the 8103 is made in Japan whilst the FF9 in Malaysia. OK but does this make a difference?

BR/COstas
Old 12-05-2002, 02:30 PM
amcross

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike,
No, this is a mix where the master is the slider, adn the slave is any other channel. ok, another example....my flaps are on a switch. i drop the switch and find i don't have enough flap in situation X but i have more than i need in situation Y. i an do a mix from the slider to flaps.

now, when i'm in situation X, i throw the switch, AND also slide the slider in teh positive direction, giving me more flaps. ready to bring htem up? slider up to neutral first, then switch up. in situation Y, i use the slider to go slightly OPPOSITE direction flap before throwing the switch so they don't drop as far.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:04 PM
etgkdis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Eventually I decided to go for the 9C.

----------
BR/Costas
Old 12-20-2002, 03:10 PM
trophy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Go for JR and "Feel the Difference!"

I had a friend that lost a plane he spent two years building and tossed out the Futaba.

He beat me over the head until I bought a JR.