Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

9 cap questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 02:06 AM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9 cap questions

Hello
I am looking at getting a 9cap radio and wanted to know if this radio would work with my fm receivers. I thought that I had read where the cap could be switched from pcm to fm through the programming? Is there any advantage or disadvantage between the 9cap or 9ca?
Thanks
Jeff
Old 12-02-2002, 02:12 AM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

Default 9 cap questions

Yes it can do PPM or PCM.

There is NO difference between a 9CAF or 9CAP. The last letter just designates what type of receiver came originally with the radio.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:39 AM
redxfred
My Feedback: (3)

Default 9 cap questions

If you need or want to use all 9 channels now, order a 9CAP. It'll come with the 9 channel, R149DP. If you only need 8 FM channels now, order the 9CAF... it come with an 8 channel R148DF and costs much less. PCM is more precise, therefore more expensive.
Regardless of the AP/AF suffix, the part you hold in your hands is the same, a 9C transmitter. It is able to switch from FM to PCM1024 (not the old PCM512) and back via software switches. Unlike less sophisticated models, you can change transmitter frequency (Channels) by changing a simple plug-in module in the backof the case... the crystal is in the module. Modules cost $54 at Tower Hobbies plus S&H.
You may also use any Futaba narrow band reciever that's on the corresponding channel... so if you have a a Futaba 6 channel receiver in your Tower Trainer, there's no need to change receivers so long as the channels match. The 9c will transmit whatever you program to activate those available receiver channels. The unused transmitter channels will go into crew rest.
It is a dazzling piece of equipment!

By the way, if you go with Tower Hobbies, use ad number 011AE to get $30 off.

Fred
Old 12-03-2002, 06:46 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default 9 cap questions

For lots more information on the 9C, you might consider visiting www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-9c.html. here you can find answers to roughly 25 of the most popular questions on the 9C.

We hope you select this great radio for your next purchase!
Old 12-04-2002, 08:45 AM
MyStar-RCU

Default The 9C radio STILL has software bugs!

Originally posted by amcross
For lots more information on the 9C, you might consider visiting www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-9c.html. here you can find answers to roughly 25 of the most popular questions on the 9C.

We hope you select this great radio for your next purchase!
"great radio"??? I remember that's exactly what you said about the 8US radio, and it had some problems. The 9C has been out on the market for a year now...and it STILL has software bugs that have not been fixed yet!

9C software bugs that haven't been fixed:

1) The timer function does not work correctly when the timer is set to down and set to 0:00 in the timer menu. Instead of counting down from "- 0:00.0" on the home screen like it should, the timer starts counting down from ":9:13.0"... Note: The colon to the left of the 9 is not a typo error on my part; that's the way it appears on the home screen. This applies to both S1 and S2 timers and does this regardless of what you set to trigger the timer, IE: stick throttle, power on, or toggle switch. Also, note: When the timer function is set to up and set to 0:00 in the timer menu, the timer counts up from 0:00.0 like it should.

2) The LCD displays lines when turning power off. You told me Futaba fixed this problem however, I'm here to tell you my 9C (version 2) does this more often than the 9C (version 1) I had.

3) The battery icon that appears at the top of the LCD when the TX voltage is too low doesn't display properly or not all in certain menus and sub-menus.

4) Yet another bug in the glider software. Click here to read about it: http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...0&highlight=9c I'm curious if it does the same thing in glid 1, heli and acro mode...

The 9C would be a "great radio" if ALL the software bugs were fixed.

DRMM
Old 12-04-2002, 12:05 PM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default .

are these probs only on your radio or all? have you brought it up in the manuf. forum? jus curious as i am in market for a new radio soon.....
Old 12-04-2002, 12:26 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 9 cap questions

Hi mystar, a bug, whether software or hardware, is defined as an error that results in the product not being able to function exactly as it was originally intended to. I do not consider what you stated above as bugs but rather a GIGO phenomenon i.e. Garbage In Garbage Out. The "v-tail" bug was genuine as it effected the ability of advanced v-tail gliders to perform the butterfly with elevator compensation but that has been fairly resolved by Futaba. An analogy of GIGO is like driving a car fast and suddenly engaging reverse gear to stop the car. Well, one could have used the brakes as this is what it was originally intended for. Engaging the reverse gear at high speed is something that you CAN do in any car, just like you can set the countdown timer to 0:00, but this is operating the product outside its intended purpose and naturally results in some form of anomaly or damage. Just my 2C worth...............
Old 12-04-2002, 03:10 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Default 9 cap questions

"It's not a bug--it's a feature!"
Old 12-04-2002, 08:07 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default 9 cap questions

Rajul,
Thank you, you said it perfectly. The issues arised are cases of trying to use the system in a bizarre and non-intended way, and these are issues that Futaba will not take the time to burn new processors to resolve these user errors.

The 8U WAS and still IS a superb radio. As is the 9C.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:51 PM
Blackhawk RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Default 9C FAQ web site

I can't open this site as posted. ??????
Old 12-05-2002, 04:30 PM
Ross Kean

Default 9 cap questions

Remove the period after the HTML in the address.

Ross
Old 12-05-2002, 05:08 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Default 9 cap questions

I have two 9c's I use one on a full feature 1.20 UltraStik and the onther on a 1/4scale Cap. One is PCM and the other PPM. for the life of me I cannot tell any real world operating difference between the two. They both work great and have never let me down in over a year.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:47 PM
Blackhawk RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Default 9C Website

Thanks Ross that did the trick
Bruce
Old 12-07-2002, 05:15 PM
mvigod
Banned

Default 9 cap questions

I also will chime in here. I recently got my 9C and absolutely love it. I also own a 9Z and can compare it to that. The 9C was easy to program, full of every feature I wanted, had a great feel, can do PCM to FM and all types of mixing. I think it is one of the best products to come out of Futaba ever. I haven't encountered any bugs or anomoly's of any kind on mine.

What MySTAR listed above I have not seen on my radio with my regular usage of it. I do all sorts of crazy mixes on my UCANDO with it and have not seen any errors in the radio/software.

On a lighter note...I fear what type of "bug" list you might send to Bill Gates for his windows
Old 12-08-2002, 03:03 PM
Ian M Emery

Default 9 cap questions

One of the most attractive features that persuaded me to purchase one is that by changing the TX'r module it can be used on 72 or 75Mhz. Finally an "LSA" (Land, Sea & AIR).