Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

9CAP or 8103

Old 01-22-2002, 06:58 AM
FilipM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9CAP or 8103

Which would you fellas recommend for airplanes, and why?

Filip
Old 01-22-2002, 07:28 AM
DK64

Default 9CAP or 8103

i have the 8103 and love it and would buy another one before i would get a 9cap. Why? i like the way it looks, feels, oh yeah, it works great also!
Old 01-22-2002, 02:46 PM
OnTheEdge

Default From what I've heard they both are great radios.

I just recently bought the 9CAP. I'm very happy with it. This is my first computer radio and I have to admit Futaba is right on the money about how easy it is to program. Without even reading through the manual I was able to save my Zagi in its own model memory, reverse the throttle, assign elevon mixing, set up dual rates and expo for both low and high rates and then assign both elevator and aileron dual rates onto one switch of my choice. Now I did have to fiddle a little but all in all I think it should be a radio that will last me for years. Three things that swayed me to the Futaba is the customer support found here and on other RC forums on the net. I can't ever recall seeing someone from the JR support team chiming in on questions here. (Not that that was a deal breaker but is a consideration) And I also have four Futaba recievers that I could switch crystals and fly with the 9CAP. I also liked the digital trims and most importanly their location. Easy to find on that nail biting "first flight". I test flew the Zagi in about 30 degree weather standing in snow and my cold stiff fingers found the trim very quickly. I'm sure you'd be happy with either as they are both great radios from great companies. Best of luck...............Mark
Old 01-30-2002, 06:03 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default 9CAP or 8103

So glad to hear our support is a factor for you!

Comparing 9C to 8103:
The primary advantage the 8103 has is 2 extra models.Otherwise the 8U has more flexibility and functionality, and the 9C has even more, and easier programming.

Support for Futaba: We offer FAQs which are regularly updated, support the 9C owner's email mailing list, offer email support (typically answered in under 24 hours) and intelligent automated information.

Feature-by-feature comparison:
Ties:
the 8U/9C has campac ability vs the 8103s data safe and data transfer options;
The 9C and 8103 have 8 char model name; 8U = 6.
The 8103 and 9C have servo display.
8U +s vs 8103:
1 more switch
4 digital trims & idle down/thr. cut (more versatile than analog trim)
all 4 modes
normal & functional trainer
support for flaperon/ail diff w/5-ch RX
throttle channel expo
1 more linear mix in acro/glider mode but 1 less free mix, yet 1 more heli revo mix
snap programming has safety mode and direction switches
aileron differential programming within flaperon
vtail programming in acro mode
start offset and speed offset (progr. trim1 and trim2)
elevon in glider prog
an invert pitch curve
delay on its heli offset mixing
1 more swash type — HN3
governor programming
eprom memory and can't fail a lithium battery
a diode for reverse polarity protection
increased assignability (most mixes, etc, can be assigned to any switch in any position) for control of mixes and other functions, particularly dual rates
9C ADDS:
- HELI MIXES: the 8U has 2 free mixes, not multipoint, in the heli mode and 3 multipoint revo mixes; the 8103 has 3 free mixes, 2 of which are multipopint, and 2 revo mixes, not multipoint. The 9C offers 2 not-multipoint mixes and 1 multipoint mix, plus the 3 multipoint revo mixes, but no invert programming.
- HELI CONDITIONS: offers an option for sep governor, gyro, and dual rate settings per condition.
- Heli — 3rd idle up instead of an invert condition.
- Heli - throttle needle programming has 3 separate curves.
- Channel control selet for channels 5-9. The 8U does not offer this. The 8103 has channel control select for aux 2 (but far less switch assignability in other features than either 8U or 9C).
- 2 Sliders in addition to the 3 dials.
- A ninth, switch only, channel (available only with the 9Ch PCM receivers.)
- Easier menu layout for ease of programming.
- Programming dial for speed and ease of programming.
- TRIPLE RATES easily set up and assigned.
- Nearly 100% switch/channel/control assignability.
- Dial/Slider master control mixing capability — UNIQUE ONLY TO THE 9C.
- 4 separate programmable snaps.
8103 +s:
2 more model memory
the 8103 has acceleration mixing in heli mode
the 8103 can discharge the tx battery through the charge jack

Further comparisons: www.flash.net/~dynamic3 ; 9C vs the 8U: www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-9c.html

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Senior Manager, Proprietary Services and Support
Great Planes Model Distributors
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
NO AUTORESPONDER
Old 01-30-2002, 06:22 PM
Outlaw-RCU

Default 9CAP or 8103

I love the 8103. And for the manual it hasen't even been cracked open because this thing is so easy to program. If you can read then you can use this radio. The only reason I would get rid of it would be for the 10x. I love the feel of JR radios and they fit like a glove. Futaba feels like you are holding a cardboard box in your hands but even the low end JR radios have such nice grips and it's like your not even holding a radio at all.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:38 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 9CAP or 8103

My friend just got a 9C not too long ago. I have been into it a couple of times and must say that it is very easy and intuitive to program, I never touched the book at all. The big bonus on the radio over others is the switch assignability, basically you can put your DR anywhere you want instead of being forced to use a particular switch. Also the triple rates make it another leap ahead of the 8U and the 8103, if you want that on a JR I beleive you need to jump to the 10X. If I didnt already have 2 - 9ZAP's I would get one.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:54 PM
ftomteen4cat

Default 9CAP or 8103

I have neither radio, but should futaba send me a 9cap I will happily extoll it's virtues til kingdom come! No..? Ah well..

Another thing I like about futaba is that when you get RealFlight G2, you're already used to the feel of the radio.

I'll resume lurking...
Old 01-31-2002, 04:12 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Default 9C questions

Two questions on the new 9C radios:
Do they have the little battery that holds the memory and has to be replaced every 3-4 years like the JR radios?
Will the 9C radio work with all receivers [Airtronics-JR-Hitec-] as well as the Futaba receivers?

Mrs AMC may have already answered these in her postings, If so someone help me out here.

Fred
Old 02-01-2002, 03:08 PM
GaryB-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default 9CAP or 8103

...i've owned over 20 Futaba radios in over 20 years in the hobby with mostly good luck - but when Hitec came out with their new Eclipse w/Spectra systhesizer at a very reasonable price, i just had to have one!...

...well, it seems to work ok, but i was amazed at some of the features it DIDN'T have that the Futaba 8 channel does...at power up, model name & trim positions don't display - you have to scroll to a separate screen to display the model name and trim positions - and then the trim position is in percent rather than graphically displayed!!!...

...you can't disable the trainer switch, so if you accidently hit it in flight you will lose control of your plane - there are no offsets on flaperons - no switch assignability -i got glitches using it with an old Futaba receiver, but maybe it was a bad receiver - also, it's a bettery eater - seems to be worse than the 8 channel Futaba, but maybe not...

...after reading this, i think i'm going to have to have a new Futaba 9 channel...
Old 02-01-2002, 05:24 PM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Default Re: 9C questions

Originally posted by fredscz
Do they have the little battery that holds the memory and has to be replaced every 3-4 years like the JR radios?
No.

A direct quote from the manual:

'Permanent memory storage via EEPROM with no backup battery to service or have fail.'
Old 02-01-2002, 05:29 PM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Default 9CAP or 8103

Originally posted by GaryB
...well, it seems to work ok, but i was amazed at some of the features it DIDN'T have that the Futaba 8 channel does...at power up, model name & trim positions don't display - you have to scroll to a separate screen to display the model name and trim positions - and then the trim position is in percent rather than graphically displayed!!!...

...you can't disable the trainer switch, so if you accidently hit it in flight you will lose control of your plane - there are no offsets on flaperons - no switch assignability -i got glitches using it with an old Futaba receiver, but maybe it was a bad receiver - also, it's a bettery eater - seems to be worse than the 8 channel Futaba, but maybe not...

...after reading this, i think i'm going to have to have a new Futaba 9 channel...
You will be pleasantly surprised with the 9C. It does all of what you mention above and way more.

I programmed all of my planes into mine last night while watching TV. It was very easy and the manual was not needed very much. Only a few times when needing to figure out the sequence of buttons to press for navigation and then I put the manual down and didn't need to reference it again.

Apart from all of the other virtues people have been raving about, I really like the switch assignability.

I bought the 9CHP version so by default the retract switch is on the top right. Well no problem when setting up a plane. I just re-assigned it to the switch on the top left.

Also I really like the idle-down and throttle cut features for planes.

I have assigned these 2 mixes to a 3-position switch.

Top position is normal running. Middle position is idle-down and bottom position is throttle cut.

The only complaint is that I couldn't figure out how to turn of the beeps when programming. It nearly sent my wife mad listening to all of the beeping while watching TV.