RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Low band vs High band?

Old 12-02-2002, 09:30 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Low band vs High band?

I have an RX I got in a deal that is on ch. 48, My other stuff is on Ch. 19... Can I swap crystals from 48 to 19 in my RX or does it have to be either high or low band to work?

Just trying to get all (all but one..) of my planes compatible with my Futaba 6X

Both RX's are obviously the R 127DF ny Futaba...
Thanks in advance!
james
Old 12-02-2002, 09:44 PM
trailingedge
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know that something will have to be done but I can't quite remember. Do a search on swapping crystals and I think you'll find the thread. If not, I'm sure Ann Marie would know. If I'm not mistaken I think you have to send it off and have it tuned.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:50 PM
MikelJay
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default high band / low band

From what I gather from Futaba, a high band receiver lets you change crystals from channel 36 to 60 without retuning the receiver. A low band receiver lets you change crystals from channel 11 to 36 without retuning the receiver.
If that's true, you'd have to send the receiver back to Futaba to retune it for the lower band.
Best regards,
Mike
Old 12-03-2002, 12:48 AM
Joe B.
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, retuning will be necessary to switch 'bands' of the receiver. I've never tried mixing crystals and bands so I can't say what will (if anything) happen. Just so happens I'm looking for a channel 48 receiver If interested in getting rid of it to purchase a low-band receiver, drop me an e-mail with your price.

jbeckman@tampabay.rr.com
Old 12-03-2002, 01:29 AM
Dyehard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

While Futaba recommends that you stay within the band halfs, a lot of people switch crystals within the whole band without any touble. Try the crystal switch and do a good range check. If it range checs OK on the ground, it should be OK in the air. If if doesn't range check at least as good as it did with the original cryatal, send it in to be tuned.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:23 AM
N55340
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've switched crystals from 44 to 13 without problems with futaba receivers. Futaba doesn't suggest it, but it has worked for me. As suggested earlier, do a good range check and if it is OK, it should work.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:46 AM
Ross Kean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

With the Rx crystal, you may be taking your chances. Futaba suggests retuning - all you have to lose is your plane and possibly a spectator if someone on a nearby channel shoots you down! It would be my best guess that it would be OK - how lucky do you feel?

I wouldn't do it unless I had a good range check and checked for interference from the channel on each side of your frequency.

Ross
Old 12-03-2002, 03:46 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Thanks!

I LOVE this site...

I am on RCU alot, but since coming back to the hobby (after 7 years away..) it seems like I have a simple question every week!

I used to be a try it and fly it guy... But since I am no longer flying off of dead end roads, and I am a member of a local club >> I will send it in to get tuned.... Can't cost very much and knowing that in the future, if someone in the club goes in, it wasn't because I was too lazy or cheap to get my stuff up to specs.

If it was just me I would range check it and fly it, but I hate it when someone else causes me to crash, so I won't do that to someone else, even if it is a slim chance!

It will cost about $28 bucks.....hmmm...

Thanks for all the great advice,
james