RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FMA Servos?

Old 12-05-2002, 03:41 PM
Blackhawk RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default FMA Servos?

I recently purchased an 1/4 Scale aircraft with FMA S355M servos. I flys very well but I have been unable to find any data for these servos on FMA web site. I also am looking for info on their quality, as I will be looking for additional servos soon for my 1/3 Lanier Laser 200. I have been flying Hitec HS605BB in my Giant Aeromaster and in spite of reports of centering problems they have worked well in that aircraft.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:55 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default FMA Servos?

These servos were discontinued by FMA a little over a year ago.

Specs are 114 oz/in, .31 sec transit time @ 4.8v. Three-pole motor, metal gears, high-torque version.

I have a couple of the S360 (non-metal geared) ones in use, and a bunch of the S3501/S3601 coreless ones. I've had problems with wires breaking loose of the motor in one and an unexplained failure of another - after landing and taxiing back (and holding full 'up' elevator to keep the tail down) the elevaor servo stopped responding and continued holding full up. After sitting wih the rx on for a while it went zip! and started working normally again. I haven't flown that plane as I haven't had time to tear it down and diagnose the problem.

At a minumum I'd pull the servos out of the plane and pot the wires inside the bottom of the case with some electronic-safe RTV.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:22 PM
PHILLCO
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default FMA Servos?

I HAVE USED MANY FMA SERVOS AND NEVER HAS ANY PROBLEMS WITH THEM.
THAT DOESN'T SAY THAT THERE ARE NOT SOME OUT THERE THAT HAVE PROBLEMS
I JUST KNOW THAT THEY HAVE SERVED ME WELL ON ALL SIZE AIRCRAFT.
JMO.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:45 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default FMA Servos?

I'm not bashing the servos. The ones I have in use have served me well for over a year and have been problem-free. OTOH if the motor wires in all of these are free to flop around inside the case its only a matter of time until they break solder joints.

A bit of RTV trapping the wires in place is cheap insurance.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:46 AM
Blackdog
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I won't use FMA again

I had the same situation as Visioneer. One PS500bb servo just stopped working it was pretty new too. I opened up the case to find that the postive lead going to the servo motor was broken at the solder joint. I call FMA and they didn't want to hear it because I opened up the servo case to see what was wrong. They said I void the warranty. It was pretty obvious that I didn't cause the wire to break, but they were sticklers on the fact that I opened up the servo. So after pulling teeth with them for 15 minutes on the phone they took back the servo but I had to pay for shipping both ways. They said they wouldn't charge me tech time. Big thrill!

They gave me the choice to repair the servo or get a new one. I choose to get a new one. 2 weeks later I got the same servo back not a new one! That same servo crapped out again 1 month later. Just stopped working.

Then another PS500bb servo wouldn't stopped working. One day the power going to the servo wouldn't shut down and the servo keep spinning and stripped all the gears.

I said forget it after that.

Blackdog