Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba S3302 heavy-duty servo

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 03:46 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Futaba S3302 heavy-duty servo

Hi guys, does anyone have any comments on this servo? I'm considering one for the rudder of a large (15 lbs) aerobatic plane.

The added weight is not a problem in my application, but I'm concerned about reliability and CENTERING PRECISION.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:43 PM
Tech-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy Duty Servo

The S3302 servo is a good servo to use and centers very well but you may want to take a look at the Hitec HS-5735MG servo. It is a digital servo and will plug right in and work great, the power is awesome not to mention the holding torque. Thanks!

www.ServoCity.com
Old 12-05-2002, 07:18 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Futaba S3302 heavy-duty servo

Thanks for the suggestion, but I want to stick to Futaba at the moment.

Though I have used (and still use) several different Hitec servos in the past w/ good results, I have become a little sckeptical of late.

I was on disability leave for most of the year, so I kept myself busy assembling planes for area modelers. I have done 10 planes so far this year so, about 50 new-in-box Hitec servos have gone thru my shop. The servos were a mix of hitec 525, 545, and 645 models.

Of these at 3 were bad right out of the box and 1 failed after only a few minutes of use while setting the control surface throws. Also, I was at the controls of a friend's plane when all elevator control was lost (hitec 425BB) which caused the plane to crash all other servos, Rx, battery, etc were fine upon inspection, but the elevator servo had driven over to full hard up and stayed there.

The servos were all replaced under warranty by Hitec, but I never did find out what the official diagnosis was since the servos were not mine.

Although this high failure rate might be a statistical anomaly, I got really spooked and have stopped recommending/buying Hitec servos until, at least, I understand what happened. Was it just a bad batch that went thru the market this year, or is there a larger problem w/ quality control at Hitec, I dunno....