Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servos on the go

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 06:10 PM
digger.10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos on the go

Featherweight servos, by nature, have less torque than their full sized counterparts. This means that they are more sensitive to friction or other unwanted stresses in the control mechanisms, pushrods binding or tight linkages or whatever. It sounds like your servos are trying to center but are not quite able to because of some resistance. Try unhooking the linkages at the servo and see if the problem goes away, if it does you need to reduce friction somewhere.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:56 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default Servos on the go

The minor "hunting" is fairly normal with the lower cost mini, micro and sub micro servos. Its not a major concern, but it does slightly shorten the battery charge durration.

What's happening is the centering potentiometer has "steps" of resistance. When the servo's desired position doesn't fall exactly on one of the steps, it will bounce from the one just high to the one just low. Its an almost un-measurable difference in position of the output arm, but the vibration you feel at the arm is it moving back and forth.

Sometimes, you get lucky with one of the inexpensive sub micro servos, and this tendency is not apparent. I have 2 Tower TS-5's (smaller and cheaper than the Hitech you have... which I also have one of...) and they TS-5's don't exhibit it at all. I also have a TS-5 that has more "buzz" than the Hitech, and 2 GWS servos with the same amount as the Hitech. None of these servos give me any problems in flight.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:08 AM
digger.10

Default Servos on the go

I stand corrected and better informed... None of my Futaba micros has ever exhibited that kind of behavior.