Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

waterproofing receiver, mabye even servos too?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 09:21 PM
hpibasher2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waterproofing receiver, mabye even servos too?

i was wondering, is was a conductive material, because i was thinking, is it possible to take the casing off of a receiver and dip it in hot wax a few times and then put the casing on, would this work?, any feedback would be appriciated. Servos mabye also
Old 03-15-2006, 09:33 PM
treedog

Default RE: waterproofing receiver, mabye even servos too?

try this melt some wax set a mutimeter on the lowest ohms settings if it reads an amount of ohms say 1-20 after putting the positive and negative leads a short distance apart say 1/8 of an inch its conductive and will ruin the receiver no guaranties. i did this oounce. i sealed a rf splitter for cable tv in silicone calk and it waterproofed it in 1 foot of wet sand for 3 yrs
Old 03-16-2006, 08:03 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easy way to do it is to slip a party balloon over the whole servo, of course making a hole for the output shaft. While this sounds ludicrous, it actually works great. Be advised that you cannot completely waterproof a model servo without some high-tech applications. Water, like love, always finds a way. But the balloon trick will protect against all but total inundation.

The car guys are who you want to get with on this. Some of them even use this liquid "tool dip" stuff with good results. Keeping the electronics dry in a land vehicle can be an issue; some of those guys get really radical with their toys...

I was going to ask why on earth you felt the need to waterproof an aircraft servo... then I noticed your screen name. You ARE a car guy, ain't you?

So I guess I just wasted five minutes typing this, telling you things you already knew.

Oh, well...[&:]
Old 03-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

3M Electrical sealer, used on underground cables, you will not get it off once you coat it. Conforma coating is another option,its an epoxy type non conductive spray that you layer up on circuit boards very thin coat each application seals it completely. I used that on car wash electronics with good luck against splash damage. Dont know about servos or connectors.

I just had a thought.......CorrosionX claims in a recent RC mag that once sprayed with it a reciever will operate under water. I have some but have not tried that test.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Panzlflyer

http://www.corrosionx.com/tv.html
Old 03-16-2006, 09:23 PM
cyrrus

Well if you want a quick trick for running when it 's wet and that your car might get wet. What we do when we get hit by rain, in the middle of our race. we spray WD-40 over our. Servo's ESC and Reciever.

Cause WD-40 is actully a water deterent. Which was actully develop for the US military for spraying on the nose cones of the Balistic Missles. to keep the moisture and ice build up off them. Just check out wd-40's web site. really intreging with load of idea's. In hope this helps.

I live in Victoria BC which is we get loads of rain.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:59 AM
Timmahh
Banned

Plastidip is the tool coating mentioned... worx well, you ll want to thin it a bit with xylene i think it is, its printed on the can what to use to thin with... put some in a small oleo dish, thin it until it thin but not Runny.. take the arm off the servo, hold by wire, and dip into the thinned Platidip. cover about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of wire as well as the whole servo. its a good idea to drip some wax into the arm opening or fill it with a some paper towel or some other removable filler before dipping the servo you want to protect it from the outside not the inside of the servo... heh.... dip the servo for a few seconds, remove, shake excess off the servo pretty good. redip about a minute later, and this time Lightly shake off the excess dip from the servo. set aside and let dry... after its dry, remove your are protection, if was, carefully dig out. if papertowel pull out. replace servo. its a good idea to check the function of the servo before your remount and rerun your wires... maybe try it with an old servo if your worried about it, but as long as you take a little care not to let the plasticdip soak INTO the servo your fine.... last thing is to be aware to NOT let the plastidip get TOO thick as it wil be a pain or near Impossaible to get remounted as its usually pretty tight area around a servo. keep it a think coating and you ll be fine.

not sure if this will work with recievers, but i like the corrosionx idea.

hth
Tim
Old 03-17-2006, 08:12 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have written about Corrosion-X in my column and it works very well on seaplanes. It is a full scale marine product that normally sells in 55 gal. drums, but they do have a small spray can. You take the covers off your receiver and servos, spray them wet and let them drip dry. Works great. I spray the switch and all exposed metal like pushrods. I have even used it as an after engine run oil after I dunked an engine, emptied it out and ran it to clear any more water. No adverse results a year later.

I picked up on it from the guys down in Tampa who claim to have tested it in salt water. I can't say about a receiver running under water, but for float flying is is better than anything else I have tried.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Panzlflyer

Thanks for the article ED, I am using it on car wash equipment and it seems to work well on the wire harness connectors, also using it on servo plugs, oh and it cleans shotguns as well