Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Fiber Optic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 10:56 PM
avalanche123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiber Optic?

I have a H9 33% cap 232 and im going to put JR 8411 s in it. I have a question in the linkages. What is the best type of linkage system you could use. price doesnt matter. Would it be ok to use the JR heavy duty 24+ inch extension wires? Would the length hinder any of the servos output? Have any of you used fiber optic wires? Are they worth it. Around how much do they cost?
Old 12-08-2002, 11:55 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Default Fiber Optic?

My H9 Cap has 8411's in it. I am using the JR hardware pack that H9 sells.

You'll definately want to use heavy duty wire on your long extensions for the servos.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:40 AM
avalanche123

Default Fiber Optic?

is there any other better long extention wires out there? Ive heard of fiber optic ones...?
Old 12-09-2002, 12:41 AM
avalanche123

Default Fiber Optic?

o and do they sell the hardware pack anymore? If not can i get a list of what was in the pac?
thanx
Old 12-09-2002, 12:53 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Default Fiber Optic?

They do sell the hardware pack still. But its listed for the 33% Sukhoi. I cant see why that stuff wont work unless the pro-links are different length.

I use the JR heavy duty extensions. I know people who have good luck with the Expert extensions also.

I dont know enough about the fiber-optics to tell you one way or the other.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:12 PM
avalanche123

Default Fiber Optic?

is there anyone out there who have used fiber optic extentions?
Old 12-12-2002, 02:48 AM
avalanche123

Default Fiber Optic?

Anyone?
Old 12-12-2002, 03:22 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: Fiber Optic?

Originally posted by avalanche123
I have a H9 33% cap 232 and im going to put JR 8411 s in it. I have a question in the linkages. What is the best type of linkage system you could use. price doesnt matter. Would it be ok to use the JR heavy duty 24+ inch extension wires? Would the length hinder any of the servos output? Have any of you used fiber optic wires? Are they worth it. Around how much do they cost?

I use exclusively Fiber Optic servo extensions. But on the other hand I'm the one who sells them.
They are $35.00/ea and come standard at 48" long from plug to plug. and they are plug and play.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:17 PM
avalanche123

Default Fiber Optic?

For extra money, do they come in a shorter length? Also are they a whole lot better than normal extentions?
Thnax again
Old 12-12-2002, 01:53 PM
Forgues Research

Default Fiber Optic?

For extra money, do they come in a shorter length? Also are they a whole lot better than normal extentions?
Thnax again
You only have to pay extra money if you want them longer. They are easy to cut with a rolling motion at 90 degrees with a No.11 blade. There are instructions. On the other hand, I cut them to lenght if the customers prefers. (no charge) I need to the the lenght from plug to plug.

As far as being better, I hope you don't expect me to say no

The reason I developed these was because I was having problems with long extensions. The long signal wire will pick up stray electrical noise and cause glitches.

So now that I have whipped this problem, I realized that I have also solved another problem. To completely isolate the servos from the receiver. So now the receiver is not overloaded with high current servos. A bad servo cannot feed back into the receiver and cause havoc, or lockout with PCM.

So to answer your question, yes they are better, no contest.
At least the military thinks so for some target drone application I have done.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:04 PM
David Cutler

Default Fiber Optic?

I can understand that fiber optics is an excellent way to transmit the signal to a servo. It should have all the benefits that fiber optics have in computer networks, but the power?

Surely the power has to be transmitted by wire, and therefore might be susceptible to stray electricity / magnetism, leakages etc.

?
David C.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:08 PM
Forgues Research

Default Fiber Optic?

Originally posted by David Cutler
I can understand that fiber optics is an excellent way to transmit the signal to a servo. It should have all the benefits that fiber optics have in computer networks, but the power?

Surely the power has to be transmitted by wire, and therefore might be susceptible to stray electricity / magnetism, leakages etc.

?
David C.
The power wire is not the culprit here, its the signal wire.

To prove the point on my own installation, I have installed the main servo battery tightly against the ignition battery right under the engine. The power from this battery goes right to the power switch for the servos. So there is no direct connection to the receiver.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:19 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fiber Optic?

I think that what is missing in the above comments is that the receiver and the servos do not share the same power source. The receiver is powered by a different battery than the servos are. Is this not correct?
Old 12-12-2002, 03:21 PM
Forgues Research

Default Fiber Optic?

Originally posted by Rodney
I think that what is missing in the above comments is that the receiver and the servos do not share the same power source. The receiver is powered by a different battery than the servos are. Is this not correct?
Yes they are, I sometimes don't explain things properly, sorry.

http://www.geocities.com/roger_forgues/batteries.html
Old 12-12-2002, 04:14 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Rodney / Roger

The extensions don't have to have a seperate power source though do they? The loose pos and neg wires from the extensions can be ganged and plugged in to a vacant slot in the receiver correct? It seems like some of the benefit of the extensions is negated if you have to add more weight (additional battery). I have an optic "Y" and two standard extensions but don't want to add another battery! Will my suggestion work??
Old 12-12-2002, 04:36 PM
Forgues Research

Default Re: Rodney / Roger

Originally posted by bob_nj
The extensions don't have to have a seperate power source though do they? The loose pos and neg wires from the extensions can be ganged and plugged in to a vacant slot in the receiver correct? It seems like some of the benefit of the extensions is negated if you have to add more weight (additional battery). I have an optic "Y" and two standard extensions but don't want to add another battery! Will my suggestion work??
Yes you definately can do as you said, The reason for an independent servo battery, is simply to completely isolate the receiver from the servos.

But yes you can do this.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:32 PM
avalanche123

Default Fiber Optic?

Kewl, Do you also make fiber optic Ys, or do you just use like a normal JR Y
Thanx again
Old 12-12-2002, 10:56 PM
Forgues Research

Default Fiber Optic?

Kewl, Do you also make fiber optic Ys, or do you just use like a normal JR Y
Thanx again
I simply make straight extensions and you can install a Y on it.
Same thing if you need two Fiber Optic extensions from only one channel, you use a Y at the receiver end.

I also do custom work, for instance, one guy needed two extra long ones for a large scale ship, in this case I use Red Led encoder, they can drive about 300 ft. but are more expensive.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:09 AM
ml3456

Default Fiber Optic?

Do you put together a kit for certain applications, or does everone need to be bought individually. Looking at your picture, most computer radios don't really need that many y connectors. That would mean 6-8 optic adapters, and at $36 a piece this gets expensive! (~$250)

A kit where you can buy the transmitter and receiver and the optic cable that I could cut to length and assembly may make this more practical.

ML
Old 12-13-2002, 01:42 AM
Forgues Research

Default Fiber Optic?

Originally posted by ml3456
Do you put together a kit for certain applications, or does everone need to be bought individually. Looking at your picture, most computer radios don't really need that many y connectors. That would mean 6-8 optic adapters, and at $36 a piece this gets expensive! (~$250)

A kit where you can buy the transmitter and receiver and the optic cable that I could cut to length and assembly may make this more practical.

ML
I don't have kits as such. These are not sold as part of a radio system

You only buy the number of extensions you would need.

For instance, you don't need one extension per servo but rather one extension per channel you are going to use.

Eg. In a large J-3, with a full house Fiber Optic system, you would need 5 extensions. One for throttle, one for elevator, one for rudder and two for ailerons. You could have 4 servos on the rudder and still need only one extension. We only tested 7 servos on one extension with no problem.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:34 PM
Forgues Research

Default Fiber Optic?

My latest effort with the Fiber Optic extensions are for a mini submarine. The extensions will be 100ft long so that the sub will be operated from the a small boat on the surface.

I once said we would never need the super long extensions, we I was wrong.