Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Near miss due to Low Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 05:52 PM
bluefronted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Near miss due to Low Voltage

Hi guys , this weekend I was testing the engine of my new Vigor CS , when all hell broke loose,

I have a JR 649S Rx with Futaba S9402 sevos and a Gy601 gyro combo on the heli , I started up , and let it idle , a few minutes later the RPM's started to pick up , I tried to cut the throttle with the radio , but no success , I ran for cover , the chopper started to drift to the right , thank god that my flight box was on its way , it prevented it from moving any further , also TG that the blades were higher then the box,

It started to tilt to the left , my heart was in my mouth , the SAB graphite blades started to scrap the concrete ground , I ran towards the heli , expecting the worst , I built up enough courage to hold it at the rear end of the tail boom , and balanced it for a few minutes , until it died down ,

I later measured the Voltage of the Rx , it was 4,52 Volts with one servos plugged into the RX ,
My concern is that the servos and RX are rated 4,8V , At 4,5 will the RX loose its head ??????I would expect it to losse communication gradually , with some hints and not totally blank out.
Has anyone else experienced a similar situation,,,
Old 12-09-2002, 07:06 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check to see if the servos were working after you shut the engine off? According to Futaba, their Rx warning on the 9Z system alerts you to land at 3.8 volts. I have also seen a Laser land and the guy not be able to shut off the engine because the battery died right then ; it was indicating 3.7 volts or close to that. I have seen a chopper go out of control due to interference created by some of the moving parts. Could your receiver have possibly gone into lockout mode? At 4.52 volts you should still have control over your servos.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:16 PM
bluefronted

I triend one servo , and it worked , why would lock it ,

I must also say that there was quite a bit of lightening during that time...
Old 12-13-2002, 02:34 AM
richclausen-delete

Default How often must I let my TX & Reciever Bat run Totaly Flat?

Hello Another Yapie here

Could you please tell me what to do. When I fully charge my TX batt & the hellie onboard batt, I can get about 5 flight out of her & the batt is still only 1/2 empty on the reciever.

When I get home I charge up the hellie & the transmitter.

Should I rather turn on the hellie & TX & let them run totaly flat?

or should I just fully charge them for 8 hours even though they are 1/2 full?

Will this cause a memory?

Whats the best way to discharge the hellie & Tx batt, but leaving it or moving all the servos for about 3 hours?

Thanks

Richard Clausen
(Hong Kong)

Ps. where are you flying in JHB - Fourways?
Old 12-13-2002, 05:48 PM
bluefronted

Why do you ask ?? I see u from Hong Kong

I fly in a small town called Kriel in the provence of Mpumalanga, I am +/- 160km's from Fourways
Old 12-13-2002, 11:17 PM
richclausen-delete

Default Rich: NE Transvaal

NE Transvaal, thats a great place.

Im South African, just up here flying for a local airline. I also lived there in Mpumalanga for a while at Motswari & Mbali game reserve....great place.

Great to chat with another RSA person again.

Adios

Rich
HK