Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

1/4 scale Extra, servos

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 10:28 AM
sandal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 scale Extra, servos

I have a Great Planes Extra 300S 1.60 (Gene Soucy), and the instruction manual says that I need four 54 oz. in. servos and one 87 oz. in. So far, my Hitec HS-422s have survived a few hours of careful flying, but I've decided to buy new, more powerful servos.

Are all servos of standard size that meet the torque requirement good enough?

Hitec HS-475HBs or HS-5475HBs on ailerons/elevators and HS-645MG on rudder?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:34 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: 1/4 scale Extra, servos

The servos you have in there are not going to fail. More powerful servos will just enable you to do more violent maneuvers
Old 03-28-2006, 04:01 PM
sandal

Is there any noticeable difference between plastic, Karbonite and metal gears?
Old 03-29-2006, 01:12 AM
XJet
Banned

The servos you need will depend to a degree on your flying style.

If you just fly around gently, doing gentle manuvers at modest speeds then you can get by with a cheaper/weaker servo than if you are really into violent 3D stuff or hi-speed stuff.

I would not rely on anything but metal geared servos on any aircraft with a 1.60 in it and I suspect you've been quite lucky to date with your 422s. The 422s are a good servo but personally I wouldn't dare use them in a plane that big/heavy.

The largest planes I've used an HS475 5475 in is my 60-sized P51 Mustang (with TT91FS in it). They seem to hold up okay in this plane but it flies with relatively small control surfaces having only modest throws.

Given the cost of a plane, engine, etc versus the difference in price between a metal and non-metal-geared servo, I'd cough up the extra $ and go for the metal geared units if I was you.

The HS645 or HS5645 servos would be pretty good for your Extra -- you could even use HS625 or HS5625 units if you wanted a little more control-surface speed -- but I doubt you'd notice the difference.

The next question is probably "digital or non digital"?

That depends on your wallet and your flying style.

If you're not into precision aerobatics or 3D then you'll probably get by just fine with the non-digitals. However, if you want better accuracy then digitals will make a difference.

I've recently regrofitted a whole bunch of my HS425 servos with cheap digital amps I bought (for $8 a piece) out of China and I have to say that on my 40-sized 3D ships this makes a *huge* difference. On my high-wing trainer it makes no perceptable difference at all.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:26 PM
sandal

Futaba 3050s are only slightly more expensive than Hitec 625/645. Will the 3050 be a better choice?