Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Transmitter Crystal for Dummies: Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 05:17 PM
jigeye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter Crystal for Dummies: Question

Ok. Here goes.
I have a Futaba Sky Sport 6 A {old analog tx} on Channel 47
I have a Futaba R 127 DF 7 channel dual conversion receiver with channel 47 crystal.
This is on my SIG Four Star 60.

I bought a Futaba 6 EXA transmitter {computer radio}.

Question 1: Can I take the crystal out of the old analog transmitter and put it in the computer transmitter?
Question 2: Do computer transmitters require a special crystal for the receiver because it's a computer radio?
Old 04-29-2006, 06:39 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Transmitter Crystal for Dummies: Question

It will probably work, but may cause interference in other transmitters around you. As a result, it is not legal to change transmitter crystals in the US, except by a licensed tech who can retune the transmitter. You can however use your transmitter with any Futaba compatable receiver on the correct channel, and you can change your receiver crystals without any problems. On futaba brand receivers, you will need to stay with-in the hi or low band, and I don't know the exact channels where they seperate. You wont need any "special" crystals to use the computer radio.
I think I said all that right.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:20 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I corrected this post since I think I misread your question. If the new Tx was orignally on channel 47 then yes you can use the 47 crystal from your your older Tx. If the new radio was originally on a different channel then regulation says you must have it retuned to the channel 47.

John
Old 04-30-2006, 08:06 AM
Dr1Driver

IF the old transmitter is "narrow band" 1991-type accepted, then the crystal can be used with the new radio.

Dr.1
Old 04-30-2006, 08:47 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All Skyports are post 1991 (narrow band as are all Futaba FM units for that matter). However if the crystal that is installed into the newly acquired 6EXA is a different channel than that Tx originally used then indeed By FCC regulation it requires retuning.

John
Old 04-30-2006, 08:57 AM
Dizzy Pilots

Legally you can not change a TX crystal even if you replace it with one of the same frequency.

The transmitter can be off frequency and needs to be tested and tuned if needed, anytime the crystal is replaced.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:24 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: jigeye

Ok. Here goes.
I have a Futaba Sky Sport 6 A {old analog tx} on Channel 47
I have a Futaba R 127 DF 7 channel dual conversion receiver with channel 47 crystal.
This is on my SIG Four Star 60.

I bought a Futaba 6 EXA transmitter {computer radio}.

Question 1: Can I take the crystal out of the old analog transmitter and put it in the computer transmitter?
Question 2: Do computer transmitters require a special crystal for the receiver because it's a computer radio?
What happened to the crystal that came in the 6EXA? What possible reason would you have for swapping them?
Old 04-30-2006, 10:21 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

The safest, and legal way to do it, would be to get a dual conversion reciever crystal and replace the crystal in the reciever with the same channel that is on your new transmitter.