Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Looking for a first Radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 09:33 PM
JATO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a first Radio

I'm shopping around for my first radio to into the H9 Alpha trainer I just purchased. I looking for some suggestions. I didn't go with the Alpha package because I didn't think the JR Quattro would grow with me enough.
What are your feeling on the JR xf 421? I've held the JR's and I like the feel of the box in my hand, but are they good?
Is there a better choice than the JR's?
Old 12-20-2002, 10:01 PM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

imo the package deal isn't all that bad, at a later date you can relegate the inlcuded Quattro as a buddybox/backup radio (figure in
Old 12-21-2002, 04:54 AM
hyperviper89
My Feedback: (3)

Peter Khor is right about the deal from Tower!
I have a Futaba 9C, and I love it.
Most radio brands there really isn't that much of a difference, I would say its a preference more than the difference. I will say that the Futaba 9C is very easy to program and can do a lot! It really is a great radio for the money. You can order just the 9C TX for $260, But I think its worth it to pay more and get the extra stuff.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:06 PM
3D Joy

I dont think JATO really needs a 9C for a trainer. I would rather go for a 6XA for now and consider another radio later when he gets more experience.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:21 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chief Aircraft is running a special on the JR 8103 with DIGITAL servos for $379 .
Old 12-22-2002, 11:59 PM
MikeL

It's hard to find a better deal than the one Chief has on the 8103 right now. It's a great radio, and I can't imagine outgrowing mine anytime soon.

If you want to keep the price under $250, the Airtronics RD6000 really stands out. More useful features than either the Futaba 6XAS or JR 662. Those are old radios that have just been updated over the years, where as the RD6000 is a much newer design with considerable thought put into it.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:11 AM
MO_Radio_Tech

If you can still find one new, I would reccomend the recently discontinued JR 652. It has all the programming you will need for a long time. However, it can be used can be easily used with simple trainer type planes. It is not as intimidating as the 8103. It works well with helicopters too. It also has the premium Gimbal sticks like the 8103. The 662 has cheaper gimbals like the 421 but more programming and Digital trims. You can't go wrong with any of these choices, but I prefer the 652.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:11 AM
MO_Radio_Tech

If you can still find one new, I would recommend the recently discontinued JR 652. It has all the programming you will need for a long time. However, it can be used can be easily used with simple trainer type planes. It is not as intimidating as the 8103. It works well with helicopters too. It also has the premium Gimbal sticks like the 8103. The 662 has cheaper gimbals like the 421 but more programming and Digital trims. You can't go wrong with any of these choices, but I prefer the 652.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:06 PM
JATO

Thanks for all your suggestions. They certainly will be a factor in my final desicion.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:51 PM
JATO

The Airtronics RD 6000 Sport with 4 standard servos for $189 from Tower seems like an outstanding package. Are Airtronics Radios well made? It's seems feature for feature this is a great value but I want to be sure it's a long lasting product.
I still need to check with the club I intend to join to see what radios most of the members fly. I assume you can only buddy box this RD 6000 with other Airtronics radios.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:50 PM
rcprecision
My Feedback: (6)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

JATO,

First welcome to this great hobby/sport.

Checking brand popularity within your perspective club is a very good idea, particularly for buddy box reasons and for "how to program" questions if you choose a programmable radio. Also check the local hobby shop to see what brand they mostly stock, you will need parts and accessories sooner or later.

Quality and reliability within the brands mentioned in this thread are about equal throughout the manufactures. Best advice I can give you is spend as much as your budget will allow on the radio. As you grow into the hobby you will appreciate the enhanced capabilities the higher end radio systems posses. In addition higher end radios I feel are easier to sell if you decide to leave the hobby.

Glen
Old 01-02-2003, 08:11 PM
MikeL

I've had great luck with my RD6000. No problems, but then I've never had any problems with any of my radio gear. The programming is as easy as can be. Where as most manufacturers set things up with the specific function at the root level (ie, end point adjustment, and you change all the end points there) Airtronics has it set up by the control surface (ie, rudder, and you make all your changes to the rudder channel there). It's really quite intuitive.