Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Needs help for Hitec digital servo

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 02:56 AM
MYT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needs help for Hitec digital servo

I'm a very beginner of RC, so I hope that somebody can help me.

I bought a Hitec digital servo HS-5945MG.
I have a kind of big magnetic field sitting next to it.
Surprisingly, receiver wasn't effected (I have tested with normal servo, it worked fine.), but this servo was effected by this magnetic field (it's changing the value of the magnetic field all the time). I'm sorry it does sound stupid, that everybody know that it'll effect to the signal. But, how I can cut this noise from the magnetic field?

Thank you.
Old 12-21-2002, 03:19 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. How is the servo affecting the magnetic field? Or how is the magnetic field affecting the servo?

And what magnetic field is next to the servo?

Mike
Old 12-21-2002, 03:42 AM
MYT

Default Well,

Sorry, that I wasn't clear.
I have a big coil sitting next to the servo.
And the electoricity goes through this coil changes, so that its magnetic field changes. It doesn't effect on the reciever, it just effects on the servo. Only reason I'm using digital servo is that it has very high torqe. And even though it has 11kg.cm torqe, it's bearly enough to work. Do you have any altenate suggestion, like is there any high torqe normal servo? Or, how can I cut that noise from the coil?

Thank you.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:43 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Mike

In the old days when we changed pots and wipers in our servos, we were cautioned to not use the Weller or trigger type guns around the servos as the gun generated a magnetic field that would in affect demagnetize the motor. Not sure how that relates to the new crop of coreless or digital though?
MYT, you might go to the Futaba forum and ask Ann Marie. I think Futaba makes a humungo sail servo or some such thing. Good luck and Happy Holidays_bob
Old 12-21-2002, 11:40 AM
easymoney

You need a electro-magnetic shielding. In fact the microcontroller of this HS-5945MG is not properly shielded... one more Negative Point goes to hitec

Either place a big metal sheet betwwn the coil and servo and connect a wire between the -ve of the source circuit that is generating the high Tesla field and the metal sheet. Or cover the servo with some metal box and connect a wire between the metal box and -ve of the battery connected to the servo or to the earth termial... if you have.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:41 PM
MYT

Default Thanks.

Thank you for great advices.

I really had no idea which servo to buy, and looks like Futaba and Hitec are the popular ones, so I bought Hitec digital servo.

I'll try to look for Futaba and also magnetic shields.
Thank you so much everybody.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:57 PM
lnorris
My Feedback: (1)

Oh, someone asks a question and here comes the Hitec bashing . I seriously doubt ANY of the digital servos have shielding. That would be additional weight that normally isn't needed for our applications.

If you can't move the coil and can't put shielding in between the coil and the servo, I would look at a non-digital servos and see how that fairs.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:29 PM
edge_fanatic
My Feedback: (4)

Default Perhaps

Ann Marie supports Futaba....

and...

Mike of Hitec supports hitec.

Both are available to help you here here in their respective support forums.

Cheers!
Old 12-22-2002, 06:44 PM
easymoney

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lnorris
[B]Oh, someone asks a question and here comes the Hitec bashing . I seriously doubt ANY of the digital servos have shielding. That would be additional weight that normally isn't needed for our applications.

All microcontrollers are shielded by providing ground plane on the PCB... In fact this is first basic rule to protect microcontrollers/microprocessors from stray fields. The second is the grounding of the motor body inside the servo.