Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

servo reverser magick

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 06:21 PM
BillHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servo reverser magick

I had a minor brainf@rt when I designed a set of Fowler flaps on a current plane: I designed the servo mounts so that they are "mirror-imaged", like aileron mounts. Won't work too well with flaps.

I can't redesign one of the servo mounts without cutting into a wing rib.

My first inclination was to re-wire one of the Hitec 255BB servos to reverse it.
I've ahad a neo-luddite caution about servo reversers: any timing circuit that makes a long pulse short and a short pulse long has to be a RubeGoldberg mechanism.

But I'm mellowing and mebbe a servo reverser isn't that bad. Fate is standing back in the corner and waving at me: my LHS has a Miracle-Y adjustable reverser, in "old" Airtronics connectors that he'd like to sell.

I know that reversers are used all the time on elevator servos, so I suppose that they aren't unreliable (or , rather, no less reliable than the radio itself). Am I thinking correctly?

--Bill
Old 12-23-2002, 11:26 PM
avinut
My Feedback: (2)

Whats wrong with your first inclination? Rewire one for reverse and you are done.
Old 12-24-2002, 01:26 PM
BillHarris

Just lookin' at options before I do the deed (trying to mend my luddite ways)...

--Bill
Old 12-24-2002, 04:21 PM
bill white
My Feedback: (13)

Bill: A servo reverser just crashed my friends brand new aero works edge. I promptly pulled all of the servo reversers out of my planes (2). I am going to operate the reverse servo off the flap switch, and slave that to the elevator. Obviously you can't do that since it's the flaps that you are controlling. In which case I would either rewire, or go into the wing and re-position the servo. ( I would re-position, since I don't much like messing w/the electronics)
Old 12-24-2002, 04:31 PM
BillHarris

I've thought about repositioning the servo, but that would require removing the "wrong" servo bay and putting in a new one, with the servo in the middle of a wing rib. Sloppy procedure.

One other fix would be to reposition the control horn in the flap, but these are built-up Fowler flaps with that horn within the flap body. Again, major surgery to relocate the horn.

I'm between the dog and the fire hydrant; it'll be easier to reverse the servo (it's a big HS255BB, so that won't be microsurgery)

The downside is that I'll have to reverse any replacement servo, but that is no big deal.

And I'll be more careful on the design next time!

--Bill