Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec HFS-05MS Good or Bad?

Old 06-07-2006, 04:24 PM
foresterxt
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec HFS-05MS Good or Bad?

So I need a small receiver for a mini 3D plane. Does anyone have any experience with the little Hitec? I'm using on Optic 6 transmitter by the way.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 06-07-2006, 11:21 PM
efish
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Hitec HFS-05MS Good or Bad?

Hi, I'm not terribly experienced, but I bought the HFS when it first came out last year.

I think it is quite a good little receiver, and certainly one of the better ones I've tried.

Used it on a mini IFO on an almost daily basis for a while with no glitching at all. The antenna's a little short, but range does not seem to suffer; its now on a Slow Stick that I've specked pretty high up - at the longer range, I have noticed a little glitching, though I suppose that's only to be expected.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:37 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you are talking about the Hitec Micro 05S. Great, small, light receiver. Ch 1,2,3,4,6 so you can do split ailerons.

You will like it!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Works great on my foamies with no range problems that I have noted and I've had them out to 1000 ft, I know that because that's how long my alfalfa field is, and the foamies are hard to see at that range...

It's a neat little rx with the channel layout for the dual aileron servos!

The only glitch I have with it is that it won't play with a Futaba synthesized tx module, but then the Futaba synthesized module is notorious for not working with other brands of rx. The funny thing is that I have a small Hitec rx in a trainer I keep around and it works with the synthesized module on the tx...
Old 06-15-2006, 10:24 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: Zeeb
The only glitch I have with it is that it won't play with a Futaba synthesized tx module, but then the Futaba synthesized module is notorious for not working with other brands of rx. The funny thing is that I have a small Hitec rx in a trainer I keep around and it works with the synthesized module on the tx...
I have heard of the older 9Z synth modules having compabability problems with some receivers but not the newer 9C module. Which do you have?
Old 06-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Zeeb

ORIGINAL: aeajr

ORIGINAL: Zeeb
I have heard of the older 9Z synth modules having compabability problems with some receivers but not the newer 9C module. Which do you have?
I don't have the synthesized module for my 9C Super which is about a year old and used it for the foamies before I got a fixed frequency module for my 9Z, it's a 9ZAP WC2 and was purchased new from the Empire with a synthesized module last November just before they announced that it was to be discontinued.

The experience with the 9Z made me reluctant to buy the synthesized module for the 9CAPS since it's now used as my backup tx.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:50 AM
satinet

I have 3 "HFS-05MS" receivers - I can report that they are really good:

good points-

1) cheap
2) small
3) light
4) 6th channel
5) good range

bad points

1) ariel a bit short
Old 12-04-2006, 08:00 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I have one also in my Mini Inspire, and so far it has been flawless... and I'm not a Hitec fan but the RX has been working good for me.

I'm using it with a JR 9303.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:11 AM
mciaglia

I seem to be having a problem with this receiver. I get terrible glitching when power is applied to the receiver (brand new), from both the lipo or a nicad I used to help set up the plane. Bought a new single conversion crystal...still having a problem. It would randomly come having all my servo's go crazy then it would stop. I could induce the twitching by tapping the side of the receiver, while other times that would do nothing. Other times it would come by itself. What gives? When the Futaba transmitter is on it has no difference still get all the twitching.

Mark

Old 02-17-2007, 06:56 AM
aeajr

Clearly you hvae a defective receiver or maybe a loose antenna wire. Send it back to Hitec with the receipt. There will be no problems.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Zeeb

There's one other possibility...

You don't say anything about what tx you're using, so if it happens to be set in PCM mode rather than PPM that will sometimes produce the kind of problem you describe.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:37 PM
mciaglia

Zeeb,

I have the Futaba 6EAX and set on PPM mode (also tried PCM just to see if it would change anything it didn't).

Aeajr,

The only recepit is the printed invoice from TowerHobbies, with my Order number and invoice number, with several other items I purchased. Hope that will work.

Thanks
Mark

PS. Where do I send it if this is an acceptable receipt or could I exchange it at the WRAM show this weekend?
Old 02-17-2007, 08:12 PM
aeajr

That will be fine for a receipt. That is what I have used in the past.

Repair
http://www.hitecrcd.com/homepage/nsupport_SFS.htm
Old 11-24-2008, 04:11 PM
AlteredState

Hi to All,

I don't understand how the whole 6th channel ability works with this receiver for split ailerons say! If you plug in an aileron servo where the battery plug is meant to go how does the receiver get its power? I would love to use this ability with my mini hotliner for split aileron but for the life of me I just can't work out where to plug my other aileron servo if the battery must be plugged into the receiver?

Thanks
AlteredState
Old 11-24-2008, 04:33 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: AlteredState

Hi to All,

I don't understand how the whole 6th channel ability works with this receiver for split ailerons say! If you plug in an aileron servo where the battery plug is meant to go how does the receiver get its power? I would love to use this ability with my mini hotliner for split aileron but for the life of me I just can't work out where to plug my other aileron servo if the battery must be plugged into the receiver?

Thanks
AlteredState
Power comes from the ESC on an electric glider. Or you can plug the battery into any unused channel.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:19 AM
AlteredState

Oh, of course! But what if you don't have an ESC? Can It still somehow serve as a 6th channel?
Old 11-25-2008, 06:47 AM
aeajr

There are only 5 places to plug things. So, how are you going to get 6 channels? Do you plan to start soldering things to the circuit board?

http://www.hitecrcd.com/receivers/show?name=Micro+05S

The receiver provides Channels 1-4 + 6. That's it! There is no dedicated battery port. You either feed it from the ESC, or you put the battery on a Y with a servo.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:31 PM
victorzamora

Normally these little receivers are used in electrics. In the case of electric planes, you plug up your ESC to the third channel on your Rx as well as to a your main battery. That is how your plane/receiver is powered.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:03 PM
AlteredState

Thankyou for your insights. The solution was obvious but I just didn't see it. I do now!