Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Am I safe with mid '90s frequencies???

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 07:03 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I safe with mid '90s frequencies???

In my current quest to make an old Kraft KP 4A radio flyable again
I began wondering about my fairly current equipment. I have a year 2000 Futaba I know is okay, but, I fly a 1993 Cannon Micro system along with a 1992 or 1993 Futaba...one on the earliest computer radios. They are both at my brothers currently so I don't have their numbers but, a while back, I heard someone talking about the most recent 1998 FCC regs affecting r/c. I know they are both "post" 1991 regs, but, are they safe now? As long as I am updating gear after an 8 or 9 year layoff, and, a new son-in-law who loves r/c, I decided to get back into it, in retirement. I do appreciate the great advice I have gotten here, as the hobby has changed in 10 years or so!!!! My first gear was a Carl Goldberg reed set with toggle switches and I still have it all. What a site to set the Cannon stuff next to the CG stuff and that is all you have to do to see what I'm talking about!! Anyway, I will be looking forward to hearing from you fellas and gals.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:23 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Yes

As long as both systems where sold post 1991 they are still legal to operate. The 1998 date was intended I beleve as a cutoff date for manufacturers to legally update pre 1991 equipment and there seems to be quite a bit of controversy about that among manufacturers and repair stations so I can,t really comment on that point however, yes your equipment is legal to use.

Now having said that Your equipment may or may not be FM as opposed AM. While AM is still used and manufactured but mostly park flyer and glider (limited channel) stuff, there may be some issues (controversy agine) with its use in busy environments. Therefore My personnel preferance (just an opinion) is not to use AM equipment as I travel to competitive events and very busy places. But if your stuff is FM I would have no hesitation about using it particularly that neat little Cannon.

John
Old 12-25-2002, 01:31 AM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radios

As far as the sets being on AM there no problem with them those years the sets were narrow band. They will not interfear with other sets. Go fly them
Old 12-27-2002, 08:22 PM
rctrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I safe with mid '90s frequencies???

There is no problem with using AM over FM it is perfectly legal and they work just as good in most inviorments. FM is a little more selective against interferance