Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Digital Servos

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 10:13 AM
akschu
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hitec Digital Servos

I have 3 RX, the R127DF, an old futaba 4 channel out of a trainer, and a hitec supreme 8. The R127DF, which was purchased for the bird with Hitec digitals, has glitching problems even with the engine off and each servo in it's own channel. I then swapped the R127DF with the supreme 8 and that seemed to work because the Hitec digital servos worked glitch free with the supreme 8 and the R127DF seems to work with the hitec analog servos on the other plane.

I should note that the R127DF is far more picky in a range test than the supreme 8 since I do get a little bit of glitching with the R127DF and Hitec analog servos while the TX antenna is all the way down. When I raise the antennna it seems to be solid at a few hundred feet so I flew the airplane and didn't have any trouble.

Through this experience and through reading about other peoples problems with hitec servos combined with futaba receivers I drew the conclusion that I wanted to stick with the hitec RX where I use hitec servos. In my mind this isn't a hitec servo problem, this is a futaba reciever problem. One that is easily fixed by getting a hitec RX, but that pretty much means no PCM

Now Geistware posts that the R138DP has always worked glitch free with hitec digital servos and that the R149DP works as well after the update. This leads me to believe that perhaps the issues between futaba RXs and hitec digitals has been resolved, however my 5645s are new (and should be the latest code) but still don't work with my R127DF.

At this point I'm content using the futaba RX with my analog servos and my supreme 8 with my digitals, however I would like to purchase a PCM RX at some point but am really nervous to do so because of the issues I have read and seen, and because the PCM stuff tends to mask these issues, making it more difficult to detect.

Perhaps I'll just lean on Geistwares experience and get a R128DP and I'll just limit myself to this one futaba receiver. It sounds like it is a bit less picky about servos.

Sorry about the long post, I just wanted to spell out how I've arrived at my conclusions, and why I think a hitec PCM RX would be great.

schu
Old 07-14-2006, 11:07 AM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: RCP57

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry
The 5955's are all new and are the servos of choice of many who have used 8611's as indicated by the posts in the Flying Giants forum. Note that over 50% of the people who participated in that poll prefer Hitec over the other brands. And we're not talking about sport pilots here but hard core GS pilots with multi thousand $$$ models who want the best their money can buy.

Mike.
Let’s just say I don't believe everything I read on the forums.

Nor should you... but when the overwhelming majority of the posters praise the 5955 as the best servo currently availble with long term personal experience, it tends to support the validity of the product. Don't you agree? We can't pay all these people to post good stuff!

Mike.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:25 PM
RCP57
My Feedback: (25)

Nor should you... but when the overwhelming majority of the posters praise the 5955 as the best servo currently availble with long term personal experience, it tends to support the validity of the product. Don't you agree? We can't pay all these people to post good stuff!

Mike.
I'll make a deal with you. I will take a chance and buy the 9 digital servos that I need for my new 35% AW260, and you can send me a HFP-10. If all goes well I will eat crow and praise the setup here on RCU. However, if it turns to poo I'll be out hunting.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:24 PM
MikeMayberry

[:-] Unfortunately, if giving you a programmer for free is what its going to takes to steer you back to Hitec then I can't help you. It''s just not fair to the rest of our customers.

Mike.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:34 PM
RCP57

[:-] Unfortunately, if giving you a programmer for free is what its going to takes to steer you back to Hitec then I can't help you. It''s just not fair to the rest of our customers.

Mike.
It was just a joke !!! However, I do plan on taking a chance again.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:29 PM
tkilwein

Hi Mike, all,

I just bent over and bought the 14MZ radio system and installed the new rx in a 36% AW katana with HS5955TG servos.
Old 9Z lasted for 12 years.

It appears as though the RX and servos work so far, I have the old 1.04 version servos, that do not work with the Futabe 149 RX in a Y setup, I have verified this with 3 RX's. With the new 14MZ RX, each servo has it's own channel. Dual Fromoco regs with lipo 7.4v 4000mah batteries.

My question is there any issues with the new Futaba 14MZ RX's and the 5955 servos?

I have to say the new setup makes the servos react & move FASTER! My old setup was a Futaba 9ZHPS with dual rx's.
The 14mz is definatily faster than my old 9z. Taking a little getting used to the programming differences.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 10-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Lloyd

I don't have answers but some questions that may help.
If the Futaba R127RF receivers provide too low pulse voltage for some Hitec digital servos, isn't it important to know what voltage is actually being delivered to the receiver?

I seem to recall a Futaba RX getting all twitchy when a servo was moved while running NiMH 4 cell batt packs. A nicad 4 cell worked fine and a 5 cell NiMH worked okay. Seemed pretty clear that issue was one of voltage delivery. And, possibly the power distribution capability of the RX power buss for the servos.

Something to think about, anyway.
Cheers,
Old 10-21-2006, 04:17 PM
boosted180
My Feedback: (8)

i've had experiene with most of hitec's analog servos, and with the exception of the 225mg mini servos, most dont center very well (the 635's were the worst).

my only experience with hitec digitals is the 5625mg servos and i was shocked to see how horribly they centered and how much freeplay they had! i dont know if i just got unlucky and got defective servos, but they were the WORST centering servos i've ever had, including the cheap analog servos! gene from troy built models recommended that i get the 5985's instead (at twice the price).

in general i think hitec servos are ok, but i'm just very anal about servos that center well and dont have slop, so i guess i just gotta go with hitec's high end digitals.

as far as their transmitters, i'll NEVER get another hitec again. i've lost one plane b/c my optic 6 with synthesized module just went crazy on me. turns out the module was malfunctioning and i completely lost control. they replaced the radio/ module for me but after 3 months of use, i'm starting to get some glitching again. i will send it in again for service before it gets worse, but even if they replace it, i will only use it for my foamies from now on. i'm looking into the new spectrum dx7 for my next transmitter.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:55 PM
JJKOR

So is the issue with the 149DP and Hitec 5645 resolved?

I am planning do buy a new PCM receiver from futaba to use with Hitec servos, which one should I get 149DP or 138DP?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2006, 10:32 PM
akschu

Lloyd,

My glitching problems with the R127DF and hitec digitals where on a 5 cell high rate nimh battery that can survive a 30 amp draw. Voltage was not the problem. Since I live in Alaska I don't really have any interference problems so I have been using hitec recievers and find that they lock on perfect. In fact I can't remember a single glitch using my hitec reciever.

schu
Old 10-22-2006, 01:11 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: mglavin

Hitec and Futaba digital servos respond to control signal input and or error signal much better/sooner than the other guy too. 150us to develop MAX power is out there IMO. Their response/power curve is lazy, much like dialing in massive exponential. All this simply means is; were able to develop higher torque values with half the signal input or much sooner than the other guy. A crisper feel is atypical allowing a more refined link to the model IMO.
Why is this better?
I saw a local IMAC flier using using three 8611A's on the rudder. If he could get over his Hitec bias he would find he could do the same job with two 5955's.
The 5955 is simply the best premium standard size servo available.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:15 PM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

I have a 1/3rd scale H9 Edge (ZDZ 80 single) with 6-5945's and a 5745 that came out of a 2 year old Cap and they are still tight and work great. I also use the same in a 27% Cap with great performance. I run 5 cell unregulated packs. No issues. I do use the programmer and have updated my firmware.

I have used JR for years with no major issues either, but have moved to mostly Hitec for cost reasons and the wide selection that Hitec has.

I also love the Super Slim receiver which they took off the market(bad move). I never had good luck with Futaba receivers. Had several outright die; an R127 and R148. I sure wish Hitec would hurry up and get some Fusions into the US. I want one!

I know Hitec isn't perfect, but they represent the best value for performance in most cases.

Jeff
Old 10-23-2006, 11:38 PM
RCP57

ORIGINAL: dirtybird
I saw a local IMAC flier using using three 8611A's on the rudder. If he could get over his Hitec bias he would find he could do the same job with two 5955's.
The 5955 is simply the best premium standard size servo available.
Huh????
JR 8611A has 260oz of torque (4.8v) / 320oz (6v)
Hitec 5955TG has 250oz of torque (4.8v) / 333oz (6V)

If the flyer already has 960oz of torque using 3 JR 8611A servos how is using 2 Hitec 5955TG at 666oz of torque going to do the same job?
Old 10-24-2006, 07:01 AM
3D Joy

Because the 5955 needs only half the error signal of the 8611 to develop full torque. That means a muh crisper feel.

I did not do any tests and did not fly the 8611. I use the 5955 and am plenty happy with it.

Anyway, gear train wear is much less of a factor with the 5955!
Old 10-26-2006, 10:22 AM
RCP57

ORIGINAL: 3D Joy

Because the 5955 needs only half the error signal of the 8611 to develop full torque. That means a muh crisper feel.

I did not do any tests and did not fly the 8611. I use the 5955 and am plenty happy with it.

Torque is torque, there is no getting around it. As you state you do not have any experience with the 8611A's so I cannot see how you can quantify your original statement. Plus the gear train wear is a statement from out of the blue and again has nothing to do with the amount of torque available in both scenarios. Maybe it has something to do with where your are in relation to the equator?
Old 10-26-2006, 10:39 AM
3D Joy

Do a search and find for yourself. I have one 5955 from the very first batch and it has less slop than a 25 flights old 8611... Now THAT is out of blue but I bet its true!

If you setup your planes so that full servo torque is required to fly, then fine, 3 8611s are better than 2 5955s...

You're much closer to equator than me . That does not mean I can't have valid opinions.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:11 AM
dirtybird

Torque is torque, there is no getting around it. As you state you do not have any experience with the 8611A's so I cannot see how you can quantify your original statement. Plus the gear train wear is a statement from out of the blue and again has nothing to do with the amount of torque available in both scenarios. Maybe it has something to do with where your are in relation to the equator?
The 8611A does in fact produce its advertized torque of 320 oz-in. But it take so many degrees of error signal to get that you are unable to use it.
I have tested the 5955 to only 250 oz-in but it does it at a much lower error signal. You can use it.
Don't fall into the trap of believing the ad of the manufacturers. They stretch the truth.

I have tested both of these servos. If you want to review the results PM me
Old 10-26-2006, 10:32 PM
RCP57

Do a search and find for yourself. I have one 5955 from the very first batch and it has less slop than a 25 flights old 8611... Now THAT is out of blue but I bet its true!

If you setup your planes so that full servo torque is required to fly, then fine, 3 8611s are better than 2 5955s...

You're much closer to equator than me . That does not mean I can't have valid opinions.
Just to clarify, you can have your own opinion, regardless if it is inaccurate, and even if it does not relate to the statement of torque. However, it is in mine that gear train slop does not have a damn thing to due with torque. Please post some valid technical proof done by an independent testing facility to quantify your statement. Just so you know I currently have 9 Hitec Digital servos going into my current built so prejudice towards JR is not an issue for me. I don't take BS statements posted on this or any other BBS as fact nor should some inexperience flyer who might happen to read your posts.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:34 PM
RCP57

The 8611A does in fact produce its advertized torque of 320 oz-in. But it take so many degrees of error signal to get that you are unable to use it.
I have tested the 5955 to only 250 oz-in but it does it at a much lower error signal. You can use it.
Don't fall into the trap of believing the ad of the manufacturers. They stretch the truth.

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:24 AM
3D Joy

RCP57, listen to him, he is closer to equator than me .

Have you PMd him about HIS independant tests? Anyway, his results are all over the net so they should not be that hard to get.