Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Digital Servos

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:52 PM
RCP57
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Digital Servos

Several years ago I swore off all Hitec products particularly their digital servos. Let’s just say I had some problems with servo movement without any stick input and leave it at that. Are they any better now? Do the still have centering problems? Are they allegedly crashing planes due to their full deflection lock-up problems? Basically are the still the same old crap or have they made major improvements. I am about to set up another 100 cc plane and don't want any unwanted surprises. If not Hitec then I will put in my faithful 8611s and not worry about it.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:27 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Hitec Digital Servos

I use several Hitec 5955TG (333 oz-in of torque) on my 35% cap. Not a problem. I do not use anything fancy (no matchbox or powerbox, etc,). I just drive the servos directly from my JR PCM receiver. Was using JR DS 8411 prior to the HiTecs but did not get good life from the 8411 (premature pot wear). Have been running the HiTec's for a few dozen flights. I use a single servo for rudder which simplifies mechanical setup. I have 3d throws on the rudder and no problem with the single servo. running 5-cell nImh - no regulator.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:00 PM
3DAP

I am using 5645's in a 9lb Extra 300. Futaba radio and reciever. 5 cell nimh 2000 mah, no regulators, no power boxes ect.
So far no issues at all. 3DAP
Old 07-11-2006, 10:07 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

My testing indicates you have more to worry about with the 8611a's than with the 5955's
Old 07-12-2006, 01:48 AM
adrian-RCU

i have over 100 Hi Tec servos - mostly digitals - never a single problem - in my gaints or jets i use only 5645/5945/5955

marvelous product
Old 07-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I use Hitec servos, I use JR servos, and I use Futaba servos.
What I have found is that JR will de-energize the servo when the control signal is lost. Hitec will hold the last position when the signal is lost. This has been the difference that I have found. I don't use Hitec servos with R149DP futaba receivers because of the low control signal from Futaba.

I find in my application that I need to send the JR servos in for replacement gears after about 80-100 flights. I have to send the Hitec servos in at about 200 flights.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:56 AM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Note that the Titanium gears of the 5955's are reported to have zero signs of wear at well over 1000 flights. We have yet to have anyone send them in for slop as happens with the metal geared servos.

As far as reliablilty... do a search and you will find it hard to find any reports of failures. The only problems were with the Futaba PCM receivers on a Y harness due to low signal voltage, but that has since been resolved.

Mike.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:12 PM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, I have to report such appalling experiences with Hitec servos that I wouldn't fit them to a toy car. Every single one that I have had without exception has turned to junk, often before it even got near to a model. Every 225 I have had has been dreadful, several died before getting airborne, one shredded its gearbox on the bench before being installed in a model because a bit of moulding flash was inside the case and caught in the gears, others asked to do nothing more than operate a retract valve or a brake valve died within a few flights. I had a normal Hitec servo on the rudder of a model, on its first flight it turned through more than 90 degrees of its own accord and crashed the model. Much against my better judgement I was persuaded to buy 4 digitals, I think they were 5645s, by people saying hitec were fine and I had just been unlucky. Of the 4, 3 went berserk the moment the radio was switched on - this was on the bench, not in a model, not under any load whatsoever. I sent them back to the distributor who sent them back with a note saying "repaired and tested". One of the 3 went funny the moment I switched the radio on. I binned them. These are just some of my experiences with Hitec servos, I have not had one good experience of them. On the other hand I have dozens and dozens of JR, Futaba and Multiplex servos which have been totally reliable.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:20 PM
MikeMayberry

I know Harry has posted his experience before and it's definately uncommon... if it were not then we would not still be in business with such a high failure rate. I can't offer an explination but he is entitled to post his experiences. Try some 59XX servos next time Harry and I'm sure you will be pleased.

Note that in a 100CC model you should always use the high end coreless digitals for the best performance and relaibility.

Here's some interesting reading from many experienced giant scale pilots about the high end Hitec servos vs. the other brands: http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5776

Mike.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:53 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Have the titanium gears seen much heli time? I know metal geared servos tend to show slop in that application because of the high vibration environment.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:49 PM
MikeMayberry

Some, and they show no wear either but most use the Karbonite geared coreless digital 69XX series servos. The Karbonite is four times stonger than nylon and has zero wear as well. The 6975HB's are the best choice for cyclic with the 6965HB for the tail in 30-90 size birds.

Mike.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:25 PM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry
I know Harry has posted his experience before and it's definately uncommon... if it were not then we would not still be in business with such a high failure rate. I can't offer an explination but he is entitled to post his experiences. Try some 59XX servos next time Harry and I'm sure you will be pleased.
I want to trust them Mike because it is an excellent range of servos for every possible application and at good prices, but whenever I have tried I have been let down.

H
Old 07-12-2006, 05:04 PM
rlmcnii
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike Mayberry,
Since you are online: What's the story with Karbonite gears and gasoline powered models? I have used 475HB's in large glow powered planes with great success. I am presently assembling a Kange Waco and plan to use 475HB's or the digital analogs of those servos for the ailerons and elevators. Digitals for sure in the elevators so that I can reverse one of them.

Are there any guidelines for the use of the Karbonite-geared servos in large-scal applicatrions?? Thanks. rlmcnii
Old 07-12-2006, 05:36 PM
MikeMayberry

Harry- I don't know what to tell you... we are the leader in servo sales and offer all different levels of servos; the top of the line stuff is as good as it get's. Did you see what the guys at Flying Giants were saying about them? They are obviously trusting them in more than just toy cars. I don't know what you fly but let me know when it comes time for some new servos and I'll give you my recommendation if you want to give us another shot.

rincnii: We suggest a 12lb limit per servo, per control surface for Karbonite. I.E. if the model weighs more than 12 lbs you should either use a metal geared servo or two servos per surface. Gas, Glow, or electric does not matter.

For specific Hitec related questions not specific to this threads topic should be posted in the "Ask Hitec" forum.

Mike.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:00 PM
akschu

My new 5645 hitecs where having major glitching problems with a futaba R127DF RX so I started reading on the forum and found that many people shy away from futaba recievers and hitec digital servos. If your running FM the solution is simple, just get a hitec RX, but what about people wanting to use PCM?

Since my servos are new I'm assuming that the 5645s I have need to be updated or the R127DF is a bit more picky than a PCM RX.

schu
Old 07-13-2006, 01:26 PM
RCP57

Mike,

My biggest fear is what might happen to this plane if the servos decide to go berserk. On my last Hitec equipped plane the surfaces decide to go to full 3D throw without any stick input. I had 59xx digitals in that extra and while making a low slow speed pass the right aileron went to full deflection along with the two elevator servos. Needless to say the airplane was a total loss. I watched this happen along with another pilot who asked me what just happened after the crash. I just stood there with my jaw open simply because there was no other explanation other than product failure that would explain the cause. I also had several servos lock in full deflection on the bench while trying to program them. I’m sure that you can understand my skepticism and reluctance towards Hitec servos. If nothing has changed in the past year or two I will have to remain faithful to 8611As all around.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:00 PM
MikeMayberry

RCP57 - The chances of 3 servos failing and locking hard over at exactly the same time is slim; most likely it was a power distribution issue which was the most common reason for this type of failure.

The 5955's are all new and are the servos of choice of many who have used 8611's as indicated by the posts in the Flying Giants forum. Note that over 50% of the people who partisipated in that poll prefer Hitec over the other brands. And we're not talking about sport pilots here but hard core GS pilots with multi thousand $$$ models who want the best their money can buy.

There are currently no servos on the market with a zero failure rate, but the 5955's have the lowest return rate of any servo we have ever produced. There is an overload circuit built in to help prevent them from burning up when under abnormally high loads. I don't beleive any of the other servos on the market offer this protection. Combine that with the masive torque, low deadband, excellent resolution and centering, as well as a "true" aluminum motor heatsink (not miracle plastic), 8 O-rings, bushed case top, metal/Karbonite first gear (M/K) and the only zero wear Titanium gearset on the market, and you have THE best performing, most reliable and avdanced servo on the planet.

I'd advise you to continue to research what others are saying about this servo if you are still in question. Also see what is said about the 8611a's and see which one is respected more. In the end you will choose what you feel most comfortable with ,so I wish you luck and happy landings with whatever you choose.

Mike.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Geistware

RCP57
This happened to me and I traced it back to the Futaba R149DP receiever.
I now use a Smart-Fly power expander with the 149DP receiver or use a 138DP receiver without. I have also had other problems with the 149DP and it does show up as the servos lock and don't move. Some time they just hold, other times they go to an extreme position and lock. Both cases it was found that the RX was the problem. I have sent it in and have had filters and other items changed, but I am slowing moving to R138DP receivers.
I use Hitec not for initial cost, but I usually put on about 300 flights a year on my 33% planes. I need a servo that will last for the entire time. JR has a tighter deadband, but Hitec seem to wear slower.

Remember these are my personal experiences and OPINIONS.
Others may vary!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:48 PM
akschu

Geistware,

Are you saying that the R138DP works better with hitec digital servos? So far I've stuck with PPM because hitec doesn't have a PCM reciever and the futaba recievers seem to have troubles with these servos.

The power expander seems like a good work around... never though of that.

schu
Old 07-13-2006, 07:51 PM
akschu

Ok, I thought the expander was a good work around until I saw the price. I'm not sure $99 is worth it to go with PCM. I'll stick with hitec recievers for now.

Mike, any chance hitec will have a pcm receiver that works with futaba?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Geistware

All,
Hitec has said they have fixed the problem with teh R149DP receiver and the Hitec 5945. I believe Mike. I have found him to be honest and forthright.

I lost two planes over 3 years to this problem. I then used a R138DP in a H9 33% Cap for 500 flights and never once had a problem. I have used "Y" connectors for the aileron and rudder servos and never had a problem.

I am now using the Power Expander in a H9 Extra 330s with a R149DP. I have a mix of Hitec and JR servos. If I put the Hitec servos on a "Y" with the R149DP, it works intermittantly (9C TX on servo cycle.) I will probably end up selling the R149DP because I am one of the few that believe that the problem with the control voltage is a RX issue and not a servo issue.

Mike,
I like my Hitec servos. I want to thank you and your team for a great product. My only request is if you can get the Karbonite gears to handle more than 12 lbs.
Thanks for everyone's attention.
ORIGINAL: akschu

Geistware,

Are you saying that the R138DP works better with hitec digital servos? So far I've stuck with PPM because hitec doesn't have a PCM reciever and the futaba recievers seem to have troubles with these servos.

The power expander seems like a good work around... never though of that.

schu
Old 07-13-2006, 11:26 PM
RCP57

The 5955's are all new and are the servos of choice of many who have used 8611's as indicated by the posts in the Flying Giants forum. Note that over 50% of the people who participated in that poll prefer Hitec over the other brands. And we're not talking about sport pilots here but hard core GS pilots with multi thousand $$$ models who want the best their money can buy.

Mike.
Let’s just say I don't believe everything I read on the forums.

There are currently no servos on the market with a zero failure rate.

Mike.
I could not agree with you more!

I'd advise you to continue to research what others are saying about this servo if you are still in question. Also see what is said about the 8611a's and see which one is respected more. In the end you will choose what you feel most comfortable with ,so I wish you luck and happy landings with whatever you choose.

Mike.
I have grown tired of reading all the threads on the Hitec vs. JR vs. Futaba debate and I'm sure you are equally tired of answering them. I like the idea of being able to program the servos any way I like. That to me is a huge advantage. But I can not escape the problems I have had in the past and it will take an enormous amount of effort for me to take another chance with Hitec servos. When I used non digital servos I had numerous problems with centering. When I went with digitals I have several problems with servos locking in one direction on the bench plus the loss of one airplane which right or wrong I personally believe was servo related. Hitec did replace servos under warranty for me without question and the customer service is not an issue.

I do have a few questions for you if you would be so kind to answer. All these questions are for use with the 5955 TG servos.
(1) What it the maximum % of travel I can put to the servos in the transmitter. I am using a JR 10X and have the capability of turning up the servos to 150%?
(2) Using the programmer, what is the maximum amount of travel I can program the servos with?
(3) Would I have any issues using a Y harness to join two servos?
(4) Would using a SmartFly "Power Expander" be a good thing or a bad thing?
(5) Are there any issues pushing a constant 6v through the servos?
(6) Any problems using Hitec 5955s with JR equipment including a PCM receiver?

Thanks for participation in this thread !!
Old 07-14-2006, 01:11 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RCP57

I do have a few questions for you if you would be so kind to answer. All these questions are for use with the 5955 TG servos.
(1) What it the maximum % of travel I can put to the servos in the transmitter. I am using a JR 10X and have the capability of turning up the servos to 150%?
(2) Using the programmer, what is the maximum amount of travel I can program the servos with?
(3) Would I have any issues using a Y harness to join two servos?
(4) Would using a SmartFly "Power Expander" be a good thing or a bad thing?
(5) Are there any issues pushing a constant 6v through the servos?
(6) Any problems using Hitec 5955s with JR equipment including a PCM receiver?

Mike,

(1) Maximum ATV, End-point and or travel volume is NOT a problem... 900-2100us is atypical. Hitec digitals will work well outside these numbers as well now (early Hitec digitals had issue with some TX's passing rouge control signals outside these parameters).
(2) 90 degrees is plausible but of NO value for aircraft surfaces.
(3) Wye harness's work fine. (Early release v1.04 digitals of any model number had issue with Futaba PCM RX's. Futaba PCM RX's could not provide adequate sinking current when used in multiples driven from a single channel/control signal source. This shortcoming was addressed and is NO longer an issue. v1.04 digitals will be updated free of charge if so desired by Hitec’s Service Department.
(4) Smartfly’s Power Expander or similar products are a "GOOD” thing. Robust power supplies are required for any high power digital servos. Systems with minimal electrical losses are desirable if not a pre-requisite. Quality gold plated HD connectors/extensions/wyes are a necessity as well.
(5) A constant 6.0V power source is of NO concern and is desirable. Independent testing revealed you can pass 7.4V for better than three minutes with the servo stalled before immanent failure with the 5955TG. Try that with any other servo on the market... Independent testing smoked three test mules offered by the other supposed KING of the hill name brand product in less than 30 seconds typically...............Not to mention a gear failure.
(6) No problems have ever been realized with JR equipment to the best of my knowledge.

Hitec and Futaba digital servos respond to control signal input and or error signal much better/sooner than the other guy too. 150us to develop MAX power is out there IMO. Their response/power curve is lazy, much like dialing in massive exponential. All this simply means is; were able to develop higher torque values with half the signal input or much sooner than the other guy. A crisper feel is atypical allowing a more refined link to the model IMO.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:14 AM
akschu

Okay, so if the hitec digitals don't have problems with futaba receivers anymore then why do my new HS-5645MG's glitch like crazy when plugged into a R127DF? Do I need to have the servos updated or are there known issues with this RX?

schu
Old 07-14-2006, 08:41 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: akschu

Okay, so if the hitec digitals don't have problems with futaba receivers anymore then why do my new HS-5645MG's glitch like crazy when plugged into a R127DF? Do I need to have the servos updated or are there known issues with this RX?

schu
Do some searching and you'll find many have issue with other servos as well with the 127DF RX. Do you have another RX (other than a 127DF) that you can use to eliminate the RX as a variable? Can you more thoroughly describe the glitching scenario, i.e., at neutral, engine on off or whatever?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.