RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo Wobble w/Extension Lead

Old 07-10-2006, 09:16 PM
iflyfisher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Servo Wobble w/Extension Lead

I have a Midwest Citabria that I am trying to get back in the air after a four or five year hiatus. Got everything pretty much working again, but when I connected the two servos in the wings, the servos wouldn't center without a little wobble or bounce. I pulled the servos and bypassed the extension leads and the problem went away. Guess I have some bad extensions. Question is do I buy new leads, try to clean the contacts, or just nip the connectors and solder the extension directly on the servo? I looked through a few posts on line, and seems like the solder approach is most recommended. Just wanted to confirm. Does this always work or do I need to run higher voltages? The pack is a brand new, fully charged, 4 cell 800mah NiCD from SR Batteries.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 07-11-2006, 06:24 AM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Servo Wobble w/Extension Lead

Yes, soldering is the better solution. You might also check the size of the wire used. To small a gage wire can cause the same problems.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:24 AM
iflyfisher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Servo Wobble w/Extension Lead

Rodney,

So what gauge is appropriate? My servo extension leads are the Hobbico variety and seem to appear the same gauge as the servo leads. What do you use for wire when soldering on an exension?

Thanks for your help.

Ken