RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Optic 6 with Module question

Old 07-12-2006, 03:33 AM
lownslo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Optic 6 with Module question

I would like to know more about the Hitec Module, channels..11-60, and the new Optic 6 TX. I am going to assume the transmitter is really nice, and I did read an article on it but comments on it too are welcome. The MODULE is what I am concerned about. Being an "old goat", I am kind of leary of this technology being "too good to be true". What are your pros and cons on this module system ?? .....thanks in advance....lownslo.
PS. I did a seach on "Spectra Module" and was suprised I could not find anything.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:34 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Optic 6 with Module question

A Module type tx design is not new and has been around since the days of the Futaba gold case.

The purpose of a module design is to allow a quick change of Tx frequency without the need for retuning the RF section to the new crystals frequency. This is possible because to effect a change you simply replace the module with one of a different frequency. This does not require tunning because the entire RF section is included with each module and there for no tunning is required.

Synthesized modules such as the Spectra also require no tunning when a different frequency is dialed in.

Hitec has had module tx's on the market now for over ten years avaliable with either the single freqency or the spectra module. I use six of their Tx's and the combination of a synth Tx module and the shift select feature that Hitec has had on their upper line radios for ten years now is invaluable and I would never purchase any Tx without those two features.

John
Old 07-12-2006, 11:46 AM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Hitec Spectra module is over 10 years old and is well proven to be reliable.

Mike.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:35 PM
XJet
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep, the Spectra module is a very nice little device that can make life far simpler if you fly at a busy field where free channels are few and far between.

Couple it with a synthesized receiver (like Hitec's Fusion 9) and you'll seldom be waiting for a free peg.

The only downside of the Spectra is that it does tend to suck your batteries a little quicker than a fixed-frequency module. I always advise anyone using a Spectra to upgrade their transmitter battery to some decent NiMH pack of at least 1650mAH.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:09 AM
lownslo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just want to post here to THANK ALL of you for your replies. I am going to purchase the Optic 6, Spectra Module, AND upgrade to the 1650 mAh NiMH battery as Xjet suggested.
PS. A stupid question here........ Can I use my Triton charger, (with an approiate charge lead/plug), to charge this battery IN the transmitter? Do you have to take this battery out to charge??
(I have only owned Futaba transmitters and have no idea about the workings of the Hitec).
Thanks again..........lownslo
Bob..in Indy
Old 07-13-2006, 03:24 PM
XJet
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As for charging, I just use my regular wall-wart (the one that came with the transmitter).

The battery lasts so long that I only have to charge it every couple of weeks and then I just give it an overnight top-up.

Some NiMH chargers won't work with the battery in the transmitter if that transmitter has a safety diode on the charging jack (which I believe the Optic 6 does have -- but I haven't looked to confirm).

If you're changing transmitter batteries (or removing them for charging) -- make VERY CERTAIN that you note the polarity of the battery connector where it plugs into the PCB. Far too many postings here on RCU start with "I plugged my transmitter battery in backwards and now my Optic 6 doesn't work..."

It's easy to get it round the wrong way and reversing it will require you to send your transmitter in for repair :-(

Hitec really ought to build in a diode or use a polarized plug that simply can't be inserted the wrong way here.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:28 PM
lownslo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike and Others,
I just happened to be viewing other threads and ran across this one about Optic 6 / Spectra problems.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4415021/tm.htm
I am sure you remember your reply Mike, as this person had glitching problems with the Spectra Module.
I will be holding up on my purchase and flying with my Futaba radios for a while. I love the Hitec servos, receivers, and other items, but the threads I am finding on Optic 6/Spectra problems has me too leary to make that purchase for now.
......lownslo....

Old 08-09-2007, 11:37 PM
BMonee
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lownslo

Mike and Others,
I just happened to be viewing other threads and ran across this one about Optic 6 / Spectra problems.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4415021/tm.htm
I am sure you remember your reply Mike, as this person had glitching problems with the Spectra Module.
I will be holding up on my purchase and flying with my Futaba radios for a while. I love the Hitec servos, receivers, and other items, but the threads I am finding on Optic 6/Spectra problems has me too leary to make that purchase for now.
......lownslo....

Good move. Don't get this product. It is a poor quality product and unreliable.
I have had mine for about 3 months or so, and it has died twice. I needed to send it back to the manufacturer twice, and it only has about 2 hours of flight time on it.

If you want an unreliable radio that will go dead while you have a plane in the air, this might be the product for you. However, if you want a reliable piece of medium-to-high quality equipment, steer clear of this product like the plague.

BMonee