Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Digital servos?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 07:18 AM
Toker41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital servos?

I just ordered the Futaba 9C with s3151 digital servos. I did a ton of research on radios, but NONE on servos. All the "science" behind all the is overwhelming when all I really want to do is fly. I was hoping to use the servos in my glow Cessna, for which I will have to buy one more servo since the package only comes with 4. Although, I just noticed that I might need 2 aileron servos, so these might not work for that. What is the advantage, or disadvantage of digital servos? Will these work for my Cessna? Since I need one more, and the digital are a bit pricey, does it have to be digital?

Tell ya, I don't know what I would do without this site. You guys are great!
Old 08-20-2006, 05:27 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Digital servos?

http://www.futaba-rc.com/servos/digitalservos.html

Theres a link on there to a PDF that discusses them. They will be fine unless your flying an unusually large or small plane. The 3151s are the bottom of the barrel as far as digitals are concerned. In your case if you are putting together a 40 or 60 sized plane use the ones that come with the radio, buy a standard servo and use it for throttle where you will have no advantage with a digital servo.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Toker41

So I can mix digital and Analog on the same receiver? I'm thinking these servos might not fit in the wing, and it would be cheaper if I didn't get digital servos for that.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:03 PM
BarracudaHockey

Yes you can. The reciever doesn't know or care if its a digital servo, it just sends it a signal to tell it where to go and electrical power to do it with.

3151s are standard sized servos, not sure how big the plane you are talking about is.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:30 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

I'm a little confused over the ratings on the 3151. Tower shows torque and speed for both 4.8 and 6.0 volts, but the article you referenced and the manual that came with my 9C Super only shows data for 4.8 volts, which I take to mean these cannot safely run on 6 volts (although why anyone would design a new servo that would not work on 6 volts is beyond me!) So, can the 3151 digitals run on 6 volts, safely?
Old 08-21-2006, 05:09 PM
BarracudaHockey

Futaba-rc.com does not show a 6volt rating. In most cases if its regulated voltage and not a 5cell pack you wont have any problems.

I suppose you could post in the futaba support forum and ask Bax
Old 08-21-2006, 09:59 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Posted in the Futaba forum as suggested.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:42 AM
BarracudaHockey

Looks like Krysta said the futaba site was wrong.