RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

new radio

Old 07-16-2006, 09:55 PM
ernest2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default new radio

hi! just bought a new radio, its a towerhobbies 6xm.
now the receiver battery is dead, so i charge it for about 17hrs with the included charger (its 100mah). i know it is only supposed to be 15hours but i somewhat forgot about it.
now i confused if i'm supposd to charge it for 15hrs every time or just for the initial charge? because 15hrs at 100mah is already 1.5 amps, and the rx battery is only 600mah.
now second question, the battery at the tx reads 9.8volts right out of the box, should i charge it then? or should i wait for it to deplete at about 7.2 or 8.0 volts before charging?
sorry i'm newbie at tx rx battery packs, i used individual cells for my boats, and use swallow digital charger for them.

ernest
Old 07-16-2006, 10:29 PM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: new radio

I disagree with the 15 hour recommendation in this case. According to the Tower web site the rx battery is actually 500 mah and not the number written in the manual. If the rx pack is dead it only needs around 7 hours at 100 mah to be fully charged.

The transmitter battery is 8 cells. I've read that 1.1 volts per cell is fully discharged so 8.8 is as low as it should ever go and you wouldn't go that low while actually operating a model. Fully charged the transmitter battery has about 10.8 volts. The charger does 70 mah for the transmitter so 12 hours will fully charge it. I'd go ahead and charge the battery before use.

I doubt that the long charge damaged anything. I'm an airplane guy. I usually do an overnight charge before a trip to the flying field.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:32 AM
ernest2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: new radio

thanks carrell,
well, the rx battery is actually 600mah. could the label on the battery pack itself is wrong? so 7 hrs charging from now on will be ok. the rx battery reads 5.4volts after the 17hr charge.
thanks for the help