RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Severe Radio Hits

Old 07-21-2006, 04:33 PM
aviator1010110

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Severe Radio Hits

I went to the airfield to maiden my Great Planes Cessna 182 with a new Futaba 6EXAS transmitter today. It was fairly windy (does not bother me), so I took my Avistar up a few times first. After I got a feel for the conditions I powered up the Cessna and completed a range check (40 paces with antenna collapsed). Everything looked great, so I taxied out to the runway and slowly gave full throttle. The plane tracked beautifully rolled right off the ground for a picture perfect takeoff. About three seconds later the plane violently tips its wing to the right, dives, and the engine slows (not a stall). I had no control of the airplane for around four seconds. I regained control and pulled up about three feet from the ground. I initiated a right hand turn and climbed, everything seemed great again until about halfway through the downwind leg when I lost control again, but not for not more then a second. I lowered the throttle and came in for a landing. At the runway threshold I again lost complete control and the plane dove. I regained control at the last second again and was able to flare for a sloppy landing while taking many little hits.

I couldn't find the problem (antenna was not touching metal, receiver properly padded, propeller balanced) so I took the Avistar up again. While flying I took another very slight hit, so I came right down.

I know this problem was not wind related since I have flown in much worse conditions, and because I could see the control surfaces severely deflecting with no input.

I have never had a problem like this at the field before, and someone told me that he'd never even seen hits like that at the field. I am beginning to think something is wrong with the transmitter since both planes had a problem, and the only thing I have changed on the Avistar is the transmitter. Does anyone know what else I should look for while I am grounded troubleshooting the problem?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:37 PM
RhyanO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Severe Radio Hits

Glad to hear that you got your plane down in one piece.
I would try a rance check with the engine running; both with the antenna down, and further away with the antenna extended.

Another thing to check during the range check is to hold the transmitter as you normally would, then give it a good squeeze or take a very firm grip on it with your hands in the position they are in while you are flying. The reason for this, is if the circuit board inside the transmitter is damage or cracked; giving the transmitter a squeeze could simulate you gripping the transmitter tightly as you might during a maden flight. I have read on here of a transmitter that showed intermittent interferrence, and a cracked circuit board was at fault and only happend when the transmitter was gripped tightly. -- Something to check...

Are you using the same channel as you did previously? At some flying sites some channels are more succeptable to interferrence than others.

A last resort would be to send your reciever and transmitter into Hobby Services or to Radio South to have them look over your radio system.

Im sure others on here may have more advise.

Ryan
Old 07-22-2006, 01:24 PM
aviator1010110

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Problem Solved... Here is my solution:

I was able to replicate the control issue on the ground making the problem easy to troubleshoot. It turns out that channel 1 on the new receiver is faulty, causing all control surfaces to violently deflect to their maximums. The very slight hit I got with the Avistar must have been my imagination running wild after the close call[sm=redface.gif] This just shows that no matter how carefully you build a plane, set everything up, and range check (with engine running) you must never become complacent. It would have been a pity to loose such a nice plane over something that should have been caught at the factory
Old 07-22-2006, 02:53 PM
RhyanO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glad to hear you found the cause to the radio interferrence problem you were having.

You are absolutly correct that you must not become complaicent with doing through safety checks with your plane.

Ryan