RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

4.8 Volt or 6.0 Volt???

Old 07-23-2006, 01:26 PM
gapple12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 4.8 Volt or 6.0 Volt???

I have an Ultra Sport 40 with 4.8 Futaba 600ma Battery that needs more juice and longer flights. It currently has six S3004 Futaba servos with retracts. Would changing to a 6 volt battery help out on this plane or 4 volt with more amps? Not sure what to buy. Any ideas....
Old 07-23-2006, 02:35 PM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 4.8 Volt or 6.0 Volt???

Going to 6 Volts is a great idea, but it will not have much effect on the time the pack can be flown, in theory it accually will result in a little less time, the only way to increase flying time is to increase battery capacity, which in a .40 sized plane should not be a problem, I'm now using the Sanyo AA Nicd packs that are 1100mah capacity in my planes, almost double the capacity in an identical size/weight battery, of course you can really increase capacity by going with Nimh cells and loose a little weight to boot
Pete
Old 07-24-2006, 03:21 PM
trdexter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Six cell is a good idea when useing retracts or smoke, but for more flying time you need to look at more MAH.
You can also buy transmitter replacement batteries with more MAH to get more flight time from the transmitter also.

http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/
Old 07-24-2006, 08:25 PM
tkilwein

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,

I have been converting all RX batteries over to lipo with regulators, with good sucess.
Even have a TX with lipos.

I have Fromeco (giant scale) and Castle creations-Medusa (smaller planes) regulators.
You get a lot more capacity for same weight and better discharge current when it is needed.

With the regulators you can get fixed or adjustable regulators.
In the giant scale I have set them for 5.8volts and 5.0 volts for others.

You get a solid voltage level for the entire flight time until the main battery goes low at which time you should have landed.
Not starting out at 5.8 and dropping to 4.8? People will agrue that it is one more point of failure, This is true, but with all the
new stuff and better parts, how many failures are really due to the regulator going bad when treated properly.
In this hobby, it is not a matter of if you crash, but when you crash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If it happens go in style.

Just my two cents.

Tony