RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New vs Old Airtronics wiring

Old 07-24-2006, 03:36 PM
kojak41

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New vs Old Airtronics wiring

I have a bunch of old Airtronics servos and two old receivers. Unfortunately I lost 3 recievers during a move. I also have one new Z - connector receiver, transmitter, and servoes. I just bought a JR system and I can use the Airtronics receivers with the JR transmitter.

I have a few questions. (1) Can I use the same switch wiring with both old and new Airtronics as long as I get the battery wiring correct? (2) Is there a conversion connector that would let me use old servos with new receivers? (3) can I use my old Airtronics servos with my new JR system?

I am not an electronic expert and for 30 years I only bought Airtronics equipment to avoid all compatibility problems and then they did this to me. I will never buy another piece of equipment from Airtronics, but I would like to get some more use out of the thirty or so servos I have in my workshop.

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Mike H.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:14 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New vs Old Airtronics wiring

Yes to all three.

Awhile back, I sent 20+ servos to Airtonics and they swapped connectors to the Z version for $1.50 each. They also probably will still swap old receivers for new ones at 50% off list. I got two new 8 ch Z Rx's this way for $100. Mostly did all that to regain cross brand compatibility. Airtronics changed over connectors back in '98, so it's been 8 years now they're compatible with everybody else. I've been with them since '84 for the same reason as you. BTW, Futaba still sells their servo's with connectors you have to modify to use with everybody else's stuff. That's like 35 years of doing it different, even at times within their own brand, what's up with that??

Tower, RadicalRC and a number of others have conversion connectors. Cheaper to have Airtronics do the swap.

With the right connector, Airtronics servos work with anybody's Rx. I moved on to JR as well, but I still have 4 receivers and 50 or so servo's I mix & match with the JR 9303.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:14 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, you can use the Airtronics receiver with the JR transmitter. Poth are positive shift. Yes you can use the Airtronics switch with a JR battery, IF like you mentioned, you change the polarity. (just swap the pos & neg wires). yes you can get adaptors to use the old Airtronics servos with the new style reciever. They are available from Maxx Products, http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-4.html
and I think several other suppliers.
BTW, Airtronics changed because all the "Non" Airtronics users complined about compatability. All the new stuff has blue connectors. And you can use JR, Futaba, & HiTec servos & switches with your blue reciever.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:16 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To answer your question # 1...I don't see why not....if the plugs fit. I too have a TON of BLACK pluged servos, switches, batteries, etc. And I'm running out of black receivers also.....you can purchase a 'jumper' (for lack of a better term) that converts the black end to the blue end.

The problem with just switching the wires around is that some of the black plugs don't fit some of the 'other' plugs (JR, Futaba, etc).....so you have to check that before going through the wire movement.

In the long run, I'm glad Airtronics did change, but right now it is black & black and blue with blue.....just keep'em straight
Old 07-24-2006, 05:17 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You cannot use the switch wiring from a new airtronics Z with and old style airtronics Rx if you do the rx will be destroyed.

The old style airtonics servo plugs as well as the switch harness use a #3pin positive. The current airtronics Z plug as well as JR, Hitec S and Futaba F all use center pin positive and are compatable.

If you use the old Rx's Then the Servos do not need to be changed for use however as you indicate some of this stuff may be thirty years old. In that case its likely that some if not all the Rx's may be wideband units. If so then you are setting yourself up for lots of wreaked airplanes.

If you wish to use the Servos with your modern JR or airtronics stuff then fine but the one of three things must be done.

1. find Old Style to Z adapters. getting harder to do and I just looked at Servo City and they don,t seem to have them any more. Not the most economic either as in the past I,ve seen them for anywhere from 4.95 to 7.95 each. You need one for each servo.

2. Remove and switch the required leads from the plug body. This part is easy and the old style plug was designed to do this by pushing a pin in a port to release the lead from the plug body. But there is a big catch. The old style plug body (black with three splines will not even come close to the current female bodys. This means to do this you will have to file and grind carefully to fit, not all that easy and very time consuming. I have done many this way and do not recommend it.

3. The most practical way is to replace the plugs with in your case JR servo plugs. You do not have to replace at the circuit board. I would suggest new JR servo plugs with short pigtails. The old plug leads will be cut in the middle to remove the old style plugs and the new JR plugs will be soldered and shrinkwrapped on the three leads.

OK here is the important part. On the old style plugs all three leads are black with one on the side that has a thin white or gray stripe. This stripped lead is the positive and it went to the #3 pin of the old plug. This must connect to the center lead on the new plug, in most cases Red. The negative lead on the old style plug was in the center pin. This must connect to the red lead of the new plug. In other words just the positive and negative of the old style servo lead is switched.

The sense line is not changed and it connects to the same pin as the JR plug.

John