Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

If you had to choose between...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:06 AM
medcinmn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you had to choose between...

I'm considering a 2.4GHz computer radio, have never owned one and don't know much about them. I've done a little research and think I have it narrowed down to the Spektrum Dx6i or the Futaba 6EX.

I like the menu options of being able to name a model w// the Spektrum, but like only needing to mount 1 rx component w/ the Futaba.

Thoughts?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:15 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: If you had to choose between...

They all work.

The aux reciever is no big deal, just turn it 90 degrees to the other one and stick it to something with foam tape.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:59 PM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

There are subtle differences, but this will probably come down to your preference in the end. Personally, I prefer the JR/Spektrum products. I used a DX7 last year in everything from park flyers to a 14lb Ohio R/C Chipmunk with a Zenoah G-26 gas engineabsolutely no issues. I've been so happy, I just purchased a JR X9303 2.4GHz.

I've never owned either of the models you're looking at so I can't speak first hand, but they both have good reputations. One difference to note is that the DX6i holds almost twice as many models (10) as the 6EX(6). If you're just getting started in the hobby, 6-model memory may sound like a lot, but trust meit isn't.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:00 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I've found the DX6i to be a very solid package for a computerized sport radio. When you combine the easy programming and model naming features with the fact that extra full range receivers are only $79.99 versus $99.99 for the Futaba, there's really no reason to compare. The Futaba offers fewer features at a higher cost, and additional receivers are also significantly more expensive.

From a usability/reliability standpoint, there's nothing wrong with the Futaba 6EX FASST system, it's just not as good of a value.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:07 PM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

One other thing, like Barracuda said, don't let the aux receiver discourage you. I've never had a problem finding a home for it. I think it would be more difficult to mount the Futaba receiver in a manner that would keep the antennas in position at 90 degrees. Again, I've never actually used the Futaba 2.4GHZ equipment so take my opinions with that in mind.

Maybe a FASST supporter will chime in here soon...if you can find one.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:20 PM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been Futaba since I first started to fly RC in 1978. It has always been rock solid and a good buy for the money. After I bought my Futaba 9C, I later compared the programming to the newer JR9303. I liked some of the additional programming features that were standard in the JR9303. I bought a JR9303 with a Synthesizer module. I love Flight Modes and The Flaps on a switch. I guess the 12 ch Futaba FASST is great. A friend of my bought that. I opted to buy the Spektrum module to get on the 2.4Ghz bandwagon. It came with a Spektrum AR9000 receiver. I like being able to switch back and forth between 72Mhz and 2.4Ghz until I have replaced all my 72Mhz receivers. When I bought the Spektrum module, the X9303 2.4 was not out yet.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:36 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Another consideration:

I'm not sure a 2 piece receiver design would be as damage resistant as a single piece unit. Wires to break and fray and connectors to loosen. Plus they are not as easy to wrap in foam for protection, especially the second receiver unit. Vibration may become an issue for components hard mounted to the aircraft.

You might also consider the Airtronics RDS8000. Priced right, single piece receiver, easy to program, frequency hopping technology, no low voltage issues and reasonable price for extra receivers. Very positive feedback on RCU. 8 channels for the price of 7. Plus you can wrap the Airtronics receiver in foam for protection as the antenna wires are much longer than Futaba or Spektrum. Easier to place in the plane.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:44 PM
seanucd2000
My Feedback: (1)

Add another recommendation from me for the Airtronics. It's ridiculously easy to use and program, and it just works. I've flown Futaba exclusively for some time, and I'll never go back. Add in the fact that it's inexpensive and has 8 channels, and it becomes a no brainer.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:31 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

no low voltage issues...
With any radio installation you need to have an adaquate power system for the servos and flight loads you're running. Spectrum is no more or less sensitive to this than any other radio.

The newest firmware allows the reciever to connect instantly instead of going through the boot up sequence. They even retro fit the older recievers, including return shipping, for free.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:14 PM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

I've found the DX6i to be a very solid package for a computerized sport radio. When you combine the easy programming and model naming features with the fact that extra full range receivers are only $79.99 versus $99.99 for the Futaba, there's really no reason to compare. The Futaba offers fewer features at a higher cost, and additional receivers are also significantly more expensive.

From a usability/reliability standpoint, there's nothing wrong with the Futaba 6EX FASST system, it's just not as good of a value.
The original poster asked only about the DX6i and the 6EX FASST. I actually purchased the Airtronics RDS8000 for myself.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

At the recent SEFF, the Guiness record for the most R/C airplanes flying at one time was broken. 99 models were in the air at once. Here is the breakdown of the radio equipment flown:

2 pilots on 53 Mhz

4 pilots on 50 Mhz

41 pilots on 72 Mhz

52 pilots on 2.4 gig

1 XPS
1 Futaba
50 JR/Spectrum

Looks like JR/Spektrum stuff on 2.4 is predominant. I'd like to see more competition from other brands, but not here. I'm sure that Futaba and Airtronics equipment are just as good.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:36 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Eplane65

At the recent SEFF, the Guiness record for the most R/C airplanes flying at one time was broken. 99 models were in the air at once. Here is the breakdown of the radio equipment flown:

2 pilots on 53 Mhz

4 pilots on 50 Mhz

41 pilots on 72 Mhz

52 pilots on 2.4 gig

1 XPS
1 Futaba
50 JR/Spectrum

Looks like JR/Spektrum stuff on 2.4 is predominant. I'd like to see more competition from other brands, but not here. I'm sure that Futaba and Airtronics equipment are just as good.
At these meets - there are typically sponsored flyers as well as non sponsored -
This makes the extremely low incidence of those other than Spektrum appear very odd indeed .
However -In our area- the distribution is the same -
The other brands do work -but never the less - this is what we see.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:04 PM
DougV

ORIGINAL: Eplane65

2 pilots on 53 Mhz

4 pilots on 50 Mhz

41 pilots on 72 Mhz

52 pilots on 2.4 gig

1 XPS
1 Futaba
50 JR/Spectrum

That is just because JR/Spektrum came out with 2.4 for RC first, Lots of Futaba people including myself jumped to JR/Spektrum because of that, NOT because is better, I now own both systems.

Doug.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:54 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: DougV

That is just because JR/Spektrum came out with 2.4 for RC first, Lots of Futaba people including myself jumped to JR/Spektrum because of that, NOT because is better, I now own both systems.

Doug.
That's pretty much how I see it. At our club it is about 60/40 (jr/futaba 2.4) with a couple of xps's, but still predominately 72.. The only reason I went 2.4 is because I do not want any of the new members to accidentally shoot me down. Besides that, I can't really see any differences in flight performance among the whole lot.