RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hangar 9 Twist, digital servo upgrade

Old 07-28-2006, 09:14 AM
bbellfly
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hangar 9 Twist, digital servo upgrade

I am running a Fataba 7-C with a 127Df receiver. I am currently using the standard Futaba 3004 servos. I am thinking about upgrading to the digital servos.

I have a few questions:

1) are digital servos compatible with this receiver?

2) what benefits in performance should I expect?

3) in my application, are the benefits worth the investment in this 40 size plane?

4) I am running the control surfaces at maximum throw + (elevator and rudder 140%), what futaba digital servos should I used for:

Ailerons?

Elevator?

Rudder?

5) would there be a benefit to throttle servo being digital?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and opinion!!!

bbellfly
Old 07-28-2006, 08:34 PM
solo_one
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist, digital servo upgrade

I can answer a couple of these. Yes, the R127DF is compatible with digital servos, and I dont see any benefit at all to having a digital throttle servo.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:46 PM
dutchalltheway

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I second solo one.....stick with what you have...you'll be just fine!!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:23 AM
Patto

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Personally, I have the 7CAP radio and it came with 4 Futaba digital servos. While the servos may provide greater precision than ordinary servos, you will not likely notice any difference at all until you get into larger aircraft, (such as 25% and bigger aerobats) requiring large digital servos that cost anywhere from $99-$150! That is when you MIGHT notice better precision, holding power, speed, etc. You'll notice, regardless, a need for better capacity batteries or more frequent field charging.

The Twist is a .40 size plane. Standard servos will work just fine or you can switch to a slightly higher torque or higher speed standard servo if you thirst for quicker reactions from your control surfaces.

Better yet, get yourself a 6 volt NiMH battery pack, (available very affordably through ebay) and enjoy faster, stronger responses with minimal investment.

As far as throttle goes, even in large gassers you don't normally need anything other than a standard servo. I use a mini-servo for my 40cc gas engine.

That's my opinion. Some guys swear the digitals make some sort of difference in their smaller planes. Other than the neat sound they make, I have yet to notice that difference...

-Pat