Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba FF7 or FF9?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 04:45 PM
dabevan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba FF7 or FF9?

Im thinking of buying a FF7, but quite fancy the FF9. Trouble is its over twice the price and im stuggling to find a killer reason to go for the FF9.

Can anyone let me know if they use a feature on the FF9 thats not avalible on the FF7 which they couldnt live without?

Thanks

David Bevan
http://www.davidbevan.co.uk
Old 07-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: Futaba FF7 or FF9?

Since there can be a differences between what Futaba sells in the USA and everywhere else in the world, I'm not positive this applies to your question. But IIRC the 7 does not natively support dual elevator servos...

In any event, if you plan on staying in the hobby for awhile and decide later on you'd like the additional capabilities of the 9C, it will cost you more to change again than to do it in the first place, or at least that was my rationale when I bought my 9C Super instead of the 7.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:09 AM
dabevan

The argument of paying for the F9, just so I wont have to upgrade in a couple of years time isnt really valid as by then the F9 might look just as obsolete, plus at just over £100 ($170) the F7 only needs to last me 1 or 2 years where as the F9 is £240 so will have to last me 3 or 4 years til I need to upgrade.

How does this 'dual elevator servo' thingy work then?

Thanks

Dave
Old 07-30-2006, 11:53 AM
redfox435cat

on the F7 if you try to slave two servo for the elevator one servo won't have a trim, which is a pretty big problem. with the F9 you can activate the trim for the slave channal as well so you can do the dual elevators
Old 07-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well there are several things about your question that are not clear;

What size models do you intend to fly being the biggest one. If you have no intention of ever getting above .40 to .60 size sport models then there is probably no reason to worry about the dual elevator servos or any of the other additional features the 9 offers.

If you're set on the 7 due to the price difference, why ask the question and then argue with those who would offer advice? It makes absolutely no difference to me what radio you buy. You asked for a feature that would definitely make a difference in the two radios and I gave you one that is, in my mind, the number one reason although there are others.

Buy what you want...
Old 07-30-2006, 04:04 PM
dabevan

Thanks, I fly mainly 60"-70" models, but do have a 'spare' 42cc Quadra that might find its way into something bigger.

I didnt mean to sound argumentative by rejecting the 'buy the most expensive just incase its got something good on it'- but my question was trying to find out specifically *what* is on the F9 and not on the F7 which I might need.

...the point about the dual elevators is exactly the kind of comment I was fishing for.

Thanks

Dave
Old 07-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The 7C and 9C systems are pretty much the same, world-wide, except for the actual frequency modules. Here is the list of the features in the current Futaba line of transmitters:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/feature-compare.html

This is specific to the the systems distributed in North America, but I don't believe there are major differences if there are any differences at all...usually a name change.