RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dual Elevator servo setup

Old 07-30-2006, 08:41 AM
Bosch232
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dual Elevator servo setup

I'm still learning this 9Cap, so bear with me.

I have two servos that run the split elevator on an Extra.
I have not flown this plane yet, but I'm in the final stages of setup.

I have noticed that the left side elevator has more throw than the right side.
But here's the wierd part: It's only different in the "up" throw. They're matched all the way in "full down".

I spent some time looking closely at the linkages, and I don't think it's a mechanical thing.

I have one servo acting as the master over the other servo in a mix.
The master moves up more than the slave servo, but only in the up throw.

Is this the right way to do this? (I'm still learning how to do this)
Old 07-30-2006, 08:59 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dual Elevator servo setup

There is a default setup for that dual elevator servo setup and it took me some time to get that right as well as some other programming features.

To start with, try looking over this website. It's got more setup info than the manual as well as examples of most of them and proved to be quite valuable to me when learning the 9C;

http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-9c.html
Old 07-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Bosch232
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for that link.

My first attempt at the elevators was to do the ailevator function as shown on this link: http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-8u-q586.html

However, I did not know this part: IMPORTANT READ ME: Do you want your elevator servos to also act with your ailerons? If NOT, you must reset the AIL3 and AIL4 numbers to 0.

That' what lead me to try the mix on my own.
Thanks again.

[8D]
Old 07-31-2006, 10:34 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When setting up dual elevators, make sure both servos have the same amount of travel AT THE SERVO FIRST!

With the 9C, you use the 'Ailevator' mix, and zero-out the aileron portion so the elevators act as elevators alone. Make sure both elevator halves have the same percentage numbers, though one or both may have to be negative to move in the correct direction. Make sure both channels have the same numbers set as endpoints.

Now, set the servos and pushrod linkages such that you have centering as close to identical possibly get them. Use the sub-trim to match them for centers...you will not sub-trim any more. You should only need a few points. If you need more, fix the control linkages first. Sub-trim is used to eliminate the final degree or fraction that you just can't get out by adjusting a clevis.

Set the throws of the two elevator halves as closely as possible using the linkages, servo arm, and control horn holes/positions. When they are matchd as closely as you can get them, then adjust the endpoints to get an exact match. You should only need a few points. If you need to do a lot of adjusting, your geometry isn't correct.

Now, you're done.