Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Airtronics RD8000 opinions

Old 11-25-2003, 01:12 PM
PlagueWielder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtronics RD8000 opinions

Hey

I am looking into the Airtronics RD8000 and I want to hear some opinions on it, so if anyone who has/had it is willing to share Ill be glad.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2003, 02:51 PM
BrainFade
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Airtronics RD8000 opinions

Best value for the money that I could find.

Programming is so easy you don't need to spend days reading the manual.

Compare pricing and the specs, you can't go wrong.

Check out [link=http://www.rcshobbieslaportein.com/]RC Hobbies[/link] for the best pricing I could find.

Spend the money you save on fuel!
Old 11-25-2003, 04:04 PM
CP140

I've got an RD6000 and love it...I'm trying to convince myself I need the 8000...I truly believe I do....my budget doesn't agree with me though! Oh yeah, I have nothing but good things to say about their customer service folks...prompt service, and when I did have a problem with something they had done, it was dealt with very satisfactorily.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:53 PM
cap10b

Yep I have the RD 6000 Super and talking to Brian at airtronics. Sanwa is not comming out with anything to replace the Stylus anytime soon. I like the Stylus, I have a Vision but I dont like it enough to buy one. I think I'll buy the 8000 on PCM and bide my time till Airtronics gets the lead out. Also bought my last hitech digital too going back to airtronics servos.

jds
Old 11-27-2003, 11:45 AM
AlvinS

I have the RD 8000 and I love it. It is very easy to program and is very comfortable to fly with.[8D]

Alvin
Old 11-27-2003, 12:25 PM
7th Angel
My Feedback: (5)

My first radio was an RD6000. I liked is so much that I bought another one for my daughter. When I *needed* more features than the RD6000 had, it was time for a new radio. I'm really glad Airtronics didn't have the RD8000 at that time, because I probably would have bought one. Instead of waiting, I bought the Futaba 9C. I know, it's about $100 more than the RD8000, and it's not compatible with my Airtronics gear, but you couldn't pry it from my hands with a crowbar!

I'm not slamming Airtronics. I still use my RD6000 for all my glider planes, and I've never had any problems with it. It is a very good radio, but it lacks the features that I need for my slimers.

If the RD8000 is as good as the RD6000, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:54 PM
tadawson

I too have an RD8000, as well as a JR 10X and 8103. I will agree that the RD8000 is a great value, and appears to do everything that it is claimed to do, but I almose VIOLENTLY disagree with the ease of programming. If I had to rate my radios as to
ease and simplicity of programming, it would have to be the 10X, the 8103, and then the RD8000. The biggest gripe I have with the RD is that the screen is do dang small, that you can't see all parameters of a given function at a time (like curves and such - I fly helis . . . ) and it takes a lot more button pushing to get something done than on my JRs. Once again, not to say that the RD8000 is bad, but I truly feel that you get what you pay for . . .

- Tim
Old 11-27-2003, 03:06 PM
BrainFade

Download the manual from [link=http://www.airtronics.net/RD8000%20Manual%201.pdf]here.[/link]

If you can't figure it out, you should spend the extra grand on the 10X.
Old 11-27-2003, 03:41 PM
gamegeek
My Feedback: (11)

I've always loved Airtronics gear. I had the original RD6000 when it came out and a M8 when I got into racing trucks. Now that I'm back into planes, I bought a Alpha trainer because the JR gear would work with Airtronics gear.

When I decided to get a computer radio and did all the research it was hard for me to accept that a 9C was what I really wanted. The RD8000 lacked some of the programming of the 9C as well as dual rates and expo on rudder. I reluctantly bought the 9C and sold the Alpha since I felt like I had out-grown it and the fact that the JR receiver wouldn't work with the 9C.

I haven't regretted it one bit. The 9C is much easier to program and I'm blown away by what it can do. I also like the more solid feel of the 9C compared to the RDs.

chris
Old 11-28-2003, 08:10 AM
PlagueWielder

You guys convinced me to have a look at the 9C even though I dont think I have enough money for that thing.
What features does the 9C have that the RD8000 doesnt except for another channel and dual rates on the rudder? - Only for airplanes.

Ill see what my dad says as he makes the final decision.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2003, 02:45 PM
tadawson

I don't know why everyone always claims that there is such a price difference between the JR/Futaba stuff and Airtronics. Yeah, there is a difference, but not as big as you think if you compare EQUIVALENTLY CONFIGURED systems.

Looking at the Horizon Hobby site, the 10X helicopter is a full PCM TX/RX, 5 DIGITAL servos, case, datasafe, etc. List price is $1349.95

Looking at the Horizon Hobby site, I FlexEquipped and 8103 Heli with 5 8231 digitals to get close to the 10X config. That came out at a List price of $864.95.

Now, looking at the Airtonics price list, the closest thing I can find to that config, is the set 90432FM, which is the RD8000 with 5 DIGITAL servos. List price is $1126.95. Note that this is NOT PCM! The price list states that to make it PCM will add another $85.00, giving a system total of $1211.95.

Close, but still not there. The RD800 will NOT do upload/download like the Datasafe on the JR's. So, since the Datasafe goes for about $100.00, lets call the 10X $1249.95.

Odd, but the price difference, at least for LIST prices on EQUIVALENTLY configured systems looks like about $38.00 to me . . .for the 10X, and the 8103 is CHEAPER than the RD8000 by $347.00. Granted, the Airtronics stuff is discounted far more heavily than the JR/Futaba brands, but anybody who claims that the "10X is a grand more" is clearly on crack if you do a FAIR comparison. Sure, you can buy a bottom end RD8000 with cheezy servos and FM, and that may be all you need. BUT, put that in a heli or large plane and it won't cut it, unlike the stuff with the 10X. If you are only looking at "Entry Level" radios, then the 10X and 8103 are NOT fair comparisons to the RD8000, although the 8103 in it's basic FM config Listing at $469.95 is close, for a price difference to the RD8000 set 90340FM (List $459.95) of a who whopping $10.00. Once again, discounting applies, but let's face it guys, the price differences are NOT what the rabid Airtonics supporters claim, at least not if you do a fair comparison.

As I said earlier, I DO own an RD8000, and am not trying to bash the radio! Just to take some of the bulls**t out of the false claims and comparisons that some of the Airtronics fans here make.

- Tim
Old 11-29-2003, 03:18 PM
BrainFade

Well, that’s a first! Someone proved that an EQUIVALENT JR package is cheaper than Airtronics by $350. I’ll take some of what you’re smoking, it’s definitely better than CRACK!

The only way to get a truly FAIR comparison is to compare actual advertised PURCHASE prices of EQUIVALENT, EQUIVALENTLY CONFIGURED equipment:

Horizon Hobby
JR XP8103, 9 channel FM Rx, 537 standard BB servo, batteries, switch, etc.
$469.95

R/C's Hobbies of LaPorte Indiana
Airtronics RD8000, 8 channel FM Rx, 322Z standard BB servos, batteries, switch, etc.
$269.99

The difference is 84% of the original purchase price of the RD8000 system and exactly a whopping $199.96, a long way from 10 bucks!

Now let’s compare some of the bulls**t, I mean specifications, on the CHEEZY servos:

JR 537
Torque: 43 oz-in
Speed: 0.25 sec @ 60 deg.
Motor: 3-pole, single ball bearing

Airtronics 322Z
Torque: 46 oz-in
Speed: 0.19 sec @ 60 deg.
Motor: 3-pole, single ball bearing

The 322Z’s appear to have better specs, and that’s no bull!

Bottom line is, you have to do your own research and make your own decisions, the last thing you want are opinions, brand loyalty in this hobby is extremely strong. Check the specs, read the manuals, and make an educated choice based on your true needs.

It looks like you may have decided on the Futaba 9C, which is also a good radio, just do your research first.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:31 PM
tadawson

And once again, it depends on what you fly. Personally, I would NOT consider either the JR537 or the Airtronics 322Z suitable for most of my models. The point I was making, is that while the RD8000 is really cheap as an ENTRY LEVEL radio, if you try to configure it to compete with more advanced systems (which it WILL do . . .) the cost saving drops off like a rock. The term "Loss Leader" applies here - Airtronics is obviously offering their entry level sets for cheap to get folks to try the brand.

Oh, and what I am smoking is commonly known as "truth" or "fact". Run the numbers yourself for what I compared - you can't come up with anything else!

And another thought: Both JR and Futaba ARE discounted, you just don't see the prices publishes, since pricing policies have a minimum advertised price. That does NOT mean that the gear cannot be sold for less!

-Tim
Old 12-14-2003, 06:26 PM
cap21r
My Feedback: (27)

I have had many radios and I like Airtronics I have Stylus 8-PCM, you can save $500 some cost I did not get all feature cards @$100.00 each nor high end servos, I had servos just ACRO card.
but I have invert capbilaties to use any brand RX.non PCM
I think just look at your actual needs.
I'm all ways looking for good and easy.
My freind has Eclips good on any RX and dial in channel, I don't like that dial a crash.
Like the old kraft you have to pull the module out each time.

I still like Futaba you know I had three N.I.B. and they were bad. no body else in the club.
My friend had 8ch Futaba never gotten TX write bad interfearance.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:42 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tadawson

And once again, it depends on what you fly. Personally, I would NOT consider either the JR537 or the Airtronics 322Z suitable for most of my models. The point I was making, is that while the RD8000 is really cheap as an ENTRY LEVEL radio, if you try to configure it to compete with more advanced systems (which it WILL do . . .) the cost saving drops off like a rock. The term "Loss Leader" applies here - Airtronics is obviously offering their entry level sets for cheap to get folks to try the brand.

Oh, and what I am smoking is commonly known as "truth" or "fact". Run the numbers yourself for what I compared - you can't come up with anything else!

And another thought: Both JR and Futaba ARE discounted, you just don't see the prices publishes, since pricing policies have a minimum advertised price. That does NOT mean that the gear cannot be sold for less!

-Tim
Well,I did notice that the discount I get comes up the same for the 94758Z digitals and the just released "comparable" JR digitals.. I do believe Airtronics has dropped the ball however by not up dating or introducing a 10 channel Tx./Rx. then again with regard to reliability,service,servo options and Rf link Airtronics true to their word has the "fastest 1024 available,"so I guess it gets down to marketing or lack of what do you all think of that?
Old 11-20-2005, 11:57 AM
Wing-span

Old 11-21-2005, 09:40 AM
SwampFlier-RCU

I have and RD6000 and am very happy with it it is easier to program than the Fut 7 or 9C and teh JR 8!XX... for airplanes! I see your point regarding the on screen throttle and other curves for HELIS.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:40 PM
sgtmike74

Not bashing anyone but I'm an Airtronics owner. I don't have any brand loyalty I just went with what I felt was a radio that can do the flying I wanted to do (helis and 3d later on) that also had the price that I thought was fair. I really don't see why some radio's have a price set so high. The technology is not that advance. FM is FM most radio's have the necessary mixing or modes. I even saw a guy tearing up the skies flying 3d with a Raptor 50. He was using a 9303 but when I ask what special mixing or features he used there was none that I didnt have on my radio. He wasnt even using all of his channels. Remember I'm a heli guy who uses 5 servos a Gyro and later a Governor. Maybe you other guys need other features and you should get a radio that fills that need. For me Im happy with my purchase.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:25 PM
darkage

How much does a AIRTRONICS RD8000 cost with receiver only?
Old 08-08-2006, 06:07 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been running Airtronics for over 14 years. I currently have two VG-6000 radios and I have recently switched to gas planes and I to was looking at the RD8000. The only problem here is I want a PCM radio and the RD8000 is PCM capable but does not come with a PCM receiver. If I buy the PCM receiver at Tower Hobbies for $139.99 I now have a PCM radio that cost me over $400.00. There are a lot of nice PCM radios out there for a lot less than that so it looks like it's good-by to Airtronics for me.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Pilot232
My Feedback: (3)

Zippi,

I have been flying JR for 25 years, (PCM10, 10S, 10SX, 10SXII, and 10X). I now fly the 9303 exclusively and absolutely love it!
I have never had so much as a glitch with JR equipment. The 9303 is half the cost of the 10X, and in my opinion, a better radio.
I had a brief love affair with the Multiplex P-4000 (it is a wonderful radio but has a horrific learning curve). but came back to JR.
the JR is compatible with FM Airtronics receivers. All manufacturers PCM are propritary and not compatible with each other.

P.S. I sold my Seagull Laser 200. Now I have a Goldberg Sukhoi.

Travis