RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum Dx6 range

Old 08-11-2006, 04:48 AM
H_L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Spektrum Dx6 range

I saw somewhere that the Dx6 only goes about half a kilometer (known as a park flyer radio) how far can I take it?
I have a car, and soon a boat, plane and heli. is it recommended to be used in a car/boat?
Old 08-24-2006, 09:21 PM
howardsmith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Spektrum Dx6 range

What you heard is inaccurate. In my experience, the range is well in excess of 1Km. I use it in my Pulse XT40 and in a delta wing pylon racer and I've never had radio issues related to glitching or range.

The issues I have had include brittle antenna hinge and poor battery life. There are 'mods' to cure both these ailments.

-Howard.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:19 PM
H_L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you just what I wanted to here.
If I do have a range problem would extending the transmitter antenna help?
They said on some official website regarding spektrum "Due to no preamplifier in the transmitter stage" something like that but if you have tested it to 1Km or so then it will work.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:00 PM
H_L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That’s our hobby shop suppliers website
http://www.modelflight.com.au/spektrum_faq.htm
3000 feet 914.4meters

on the spectrum website it says ONLY for parkflyers.

Looks like that’s the one I’m buying it for my helicopter/car/boat than.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:37 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Spektrum has recommended approximately 1500 feet, about .5 KM, as a good working range. Based on extensive posts on the forums, you are probably fine to 2000 feet, but after you are probably pusing it. It may work further out but, as with all receivers, reliability will decrease with distance.

your mileage will vary.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:55 PM
beaver32

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maximum safe range for the spektrum dx6 is limited by a number of factors. Most important though is the antenna positioning of the receiver. At such a high frequency, you may consider the attenuation of the radiowaves as for light. Any obstructions will will reduce signal strenght, as it will for light. Having that in mind, position the antennas of the receiver in such a manner that it is either on the outside of the hull of your plane, boat,car, or as close to the outside as possible. Then you will obtain maximum signal strength at your receiver, and increase safe range of operations. Tests that I have made with balsa/ARC models have proven that a distance of 1km/3300ft is working without any glitches what so ever, this is done with models on the ground. When flying, distance pretty much is limited to your eyesight, at least with models that the system is recommended for. So for this purpose you will not be close to 3300ft !
I live in Norway, in a place where we have a rather large flight range. Tests have been done with nitro models up to 6ft/8lb, and we've never managed to get the system glitching. I know that a lot of peoples have conducted the same tests, with the same result. So with the above in mind, concerning antenna positioning, you should be able to enjoy the spektrum system as much as any other system when it comes to range. I know that Spektrum says "parkflyers only", but in real life it works great far beyond that. But by saying so, it means that you're on your own when using it in other planes. And that's safe for Spektrum [8D]
Old 09-16-2006, 03:33 AM
SeaComms

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And the good news is that it is officially approved for use in Australia by the MAAA, but only for "park flyers" and can be disallowed by clubs at their own discretion... here is the quote from the official MAAA website:

Spektrum DX6 (model Spektrum AR6000)
This system is allowed for Park Fliers and small electric helicopters only. These are defined as fixed wing aircraft, both powered by electric motors or not powered at all, and small helicopters powered by electric motors, that would normally be expected to fly no further than 150 metres from the pilot.
The full 5 page document can be viewed [link=http://www.maaa.asn.au/mop/policy/MOP058%20-%20Policy%202.4%20GHz%20EQUIPMENT%20-%2021%20March%202006.pdf]here[/link]