Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba "GOLD" FM value ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 08:14 AM
imeins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba "GOLD" FM value ?

I am about to make an offer on some old Futaba "Gold" series FM radio gear (TX & RX, 6 ch). I have no idea of what to offer the guy! The TX will need a new nicad pack so that will kick the price down but still it was pretty good gear for it's time so does anyone have any suggestions ???

Thanks..

Ingmar
Old 01-05-2003, 05:55 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Is the radio "gold stickered"? I still have a few of these, and they still work fine. Although I've designated them for let's say...lower performance aircraft, due to new equipment, they are good units.

If it's not gold stickered that might take away a bit of value also. I've heard RadioSouth still narrow bands these though, don't know for sure. I had Futaba narrow band one of mine several years ago, before they quit working on them.

All in all, I'd probably say $50-$75...maybe, if it's gold stickered, and good condition/working order. The battery packs are different and run about $32 from tower for the Tx pack, although you can probably get one from battery vendors as well, maybe for a little less.

Check the side cases on it, as this was an area that there are molded tabs in the plastic, and after many years, the sun, oils from your hands, and general use makes the side cases brittle, and the tabs just break away. I've bought a few of these on Ebay, for parts only in non-working conditions just for the side cases. Futaba doesn't carry parts for the Tx anymore though. We are talking about a radio that could be between 12-18yrs old too, so that's something you might want to consider. The last new 6FG I bought was in 1990, and it was pretty much clearing them out. I paid $149 for brand new 6FG w/servos back then. In the day...they went for around $189 I think.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:58 PM
cwesh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am still running my 2 "Gold" am boxes, bought them new in the 1980's.

To me, they are very good transmitters. A plus for you is the one you are looking at is FM. Much easier to find receivers for it, at least here is the USA.

I have seen a set go for about $75.00 US on ebay. that was with servos, receiver, etc. Not sure what one would be worth in AUS $'s

Later!
Old 01-05-2003, 10:36 PM
imeins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I'll go out and have a look at the gear this week. I wanted something to get an "Oldtimer" / trainer in the air again for my 16y/o son to fly. He has a very good feel for the G2 simulator and for flying "real" aircraft so this will get him out into the fresh air. Later I intend to buy a JR X378 or similar as I'm heading towards electric heli flying. This gear is definetly FM and 36Mhz so extra RXs etc should be no drama at all. Judging by the guys phone call I may end up with aircraft etc all in a bundle as well - if the price is right..

Ingmar