RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Berg Micro RX + GWS Xtal -- Not a Marriage.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:12 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Berg Micro RX + GWS Xtal -- Not a Marriage.

My LHS owner sold me one of the new Castle Creations Berg 4-channel RXs and a GWS Xtal to go with it -- he was under the impression they were compatible. NOT!!!!

The RX worked fine and had good range for all control surfaces except the Castle Creations 25amp Brushless Speed Control. Nothing I did in the TX got past the blinking red light. I finally replaced the RX with a Hitec Supreme and had no problems. I have subsequently ordered a Berg Xtal.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:40 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Berg Micro RX + GWS Xtal -- Not a Marriage.

I ordered and received a Berg Xtal -- I still cannot control the ESC. I will switch to channel 4 to determine whether is might be a bad RX channel.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:07 PM
boberos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know CC recommends using Berg Xtals with Berg Rxs.
I bought 2 Berg rxs from different hobby shops & neither carried Brg xtals. Both recommended & sold me GWS, and they work OK for me.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I fly a Berg Rx with a GWS Xtal and use an E-flite 20 amp esc for almost a year now. No problems.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:17 AM
tlrascal
My Feedback: (56)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have had many discussions with Castle Creations about crystals. I have probably sold as many Berg receivers as anybody, over 1200 to date and I have sold two Berg crystals because the people that bought the receivers were told by Castle they must use Berg crystals. Guys wake up. This is like Ford or Chevrolet telling you that you must you Fomoco oil or Delco oil or whatever it is that Chevrolet sells. Berg wants to sell you crystals.

I have used GWS crystals in dozens of my personal airplanes and they work fine. I personally prefer Performance Device crystals but they are having some issues with the two distributors and you just don't see them as readily available in the local hobby shops but they are the best crystal IMHO. Use whatever you can get, all of the UM-1 crystals will work.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:03 PM
XJet
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I suspect that the folks at Castle Creations would argue that not all crystals are made equal -- and there's some validity to that claim.

The fact is that, like most things, crystals are not "perfect" and they'll all be slightly higher or lower than the nominal frequency.

"Good" crystals are those which are very close to the nominated frequency and ensuring a guaranteed level of accuracy can only be achieved by careful manufacture, testing and grading processes.

Just as with the computer processor business, many crystals of different grades all come from a few production lines -- so how come some are "high grade" and some are "low grade"?

Well when a factory makes a batch of crystals, each one is checked to ensure it falls within reasonable lmiits of accuracy. If it's within (say) 5 parts per million (PPM), it might be dropped into a pile of first-grade units. If it's greater than 5PPM but less than 8PPM it might go into a second-grade bin. If it's between 8PPM and 10PPM it might go into a third-grade bin. Anything that's too bad gets rejected.

Depending on the manufacturer's processes, it may be that only a minority of production is first-grade, so these are sold for a higher price than those which aren't quite as good (but have a higher yield).

One would assume from their claims and prices that Berg are selling only hi-grade crystals that are very close to the desired frequency. Other brands may be second or third-grade.

On a receiver with relatively broad tuning and ceramic filters, it doesn't matter as much if the crystal used is slightly off frequency -- so long as the resulting signal falls within the boundaries of those filters. However, if you're running filters that provide narrower filtering, a second or third grade crystal may allow the signal to be partially lost -- thus reducing range and increasing sensitivity to interference.

Just as many folks have been able to overclock their 1GHz PCs to 2.5GHz with great success, some have found that they can use cheap no-name crystals in the Berg receivers. However, with the entire value of your plane (engine, servos, aiframe, batteries, etc) at risk, I can't really see the point in trying to save a dollar here and there if it means there's *any* increased chance of glitching or loss of control.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:08 PM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

a very infomative expanation
Old 09-29-2008, 07:36 PM
tlrascal
My Feedback: (56)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Berg Micro RX + GWS Xtal Not a Marriage.

While some may think this is informativer it is also incorrect according to my discussions with Castle and Paul Castillo. He states that they make their own crystals and that an idividual hand grinds and inspects each one. I would not have anything to do with a "hand ground " crystal. The only difference is that some crystals decay at a more rapid rate than others and as far as I'm concerned the best crystals made are Performance Devices and they didn't make it long in the RC game.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hilleyja

I ordered and received a Berg Xtal I still cannot control the ESC. I will switch to channel 4 to determine whether is might be a bad RX channel.
Just to make sure you tried this: did you reverse the servo on the Tx?

Recheck the polarity of all connections...

Throttle at zero when powering on....

Battery fully charged?

Does the BEC on the ESC pass on power to the other servos?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Mr. Mugen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I too have many (prob around 20) berg rx's with gws xtals. No issues to date. I have been using them since their release.

I would try this next time you power up your system. Try doing it the same way as before but instead of the throttle stick down try it straight up (WOT). If the red light stops blinking then unplug your esc/batt connection, reverse the throttle channel and do it again with the stick in the down position. I bet this solves your problem. If not try trimming your throttle lower until it works.

Kevin
Old 09-30-2008, 08:32 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (60)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The fact that "all of the control surfaces worked" and that the range was ok, sort of points out it wasn't a crystal issue to begin with. A crystal won't make ONE channel of a receiver not work.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I too use crystals from the folks at http://www.performancedevices.com and I'm quite happy with them.