RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9CAFS FM Super, good radio?

Old 08-19-2006, 07:38 AM
Toker41

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba 9CAFS FM Super, good radio?

k...I've decided that maybe I should just get a well known, and trusted name. I'm a basic flyer. No real tricks yet other than rolls, loops, etc. I'm looking for a radio that will grow with me over time. I want a synth mod. Don't want to be locked into on channel, due to several planes, and crowded clubs. I was looking at the Optic 6, but after some research I see they are having problems with it. I then checked into the POLK Tracker III, but am hearing about glitching in the channel scanning. I need something DEPENDABLE. Since I see Futaba used more than any other brand at both clubs, I'm thinking that may be the way to go. It just cost a bit more, which the wife isn't going to like, but it's better than replacing planes due to radio malfunction.

So, the Futaba 9CAFS FM Super with synth mod is what I'm looking at. Before I go drop $400....

Is this radio simple enough for "not so advanced" users? Is it good for parkflyers, and glow? Can I use it with any futaba receiver? Any servos? I can't say I understand the whole "FM" vs. PPM vs. PCM thing. If someone could explain that, it sure would help.
Any suggestions???
Old 08-19-2006, 07:56 AM
alpinestar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba 9CAFS FM Super, good radio?

My latest radio is a 9C super.. I've been flying for 15-20 years or so & havea had great luck with Futaba, as others at our field have had with JR, Airtronics, etc.... I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands.
I use my 9C for everything from park flyers through a 96" B-17, and even for heli's as well. It will do just about anything you can think of with a little thinking & using the manual, or it will do the "basics" with the familiarity you already have.
PPM,PCM,FM..... consider PPM and FM (frequency modulation) as the very same thing. PCM (pulse code modulation) offers greater resolution & debatably greater signal security. By resolution, I mean that a PCM system has more "steps" in the movement of the servos vs FM, sorta like a higher frame rate on video which smoothes it out. For sport flying, it is not necessary. I use FM receivers for most of my planes, but use PCM for bigger planes (safety!), heli's (moving parts= radio noise), and anything i have my heart or wallet deep into.
You can use any of the 9C transmitters with futaba, hitec, and other brand FM receivers. I recommend dual-conversion recievers, and use a lot of Futaba R127 (recently replaced) and Hitec electron-6 receivers. For PCM, i use whatever the latest & greatest Futaba 8 or 9 channel rec is. You cannot to my knowledge use other brand PCM receivers with a given brand transmitter.

In short, you won't regret the 9C!!!
Old 08-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Get the 9C's
It is easy to use and easy to program.
Will run all compatable Futaba receivers.
Since the synth module consumes more power than the standard module, I would contact Radical RC, or your prefered battery outlet to get a 1650maH TX pack for it.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:12 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

4 helicopters, a Funtana, 2 warbirds and a 2 meter glider all on a 9CSuper so its flexable, fairly easy to program and works with any of the Futaba equipment.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One thing to be aware of with synthesized tx modules.

They don't always work with other manufacturers rx's. I have both a 9C Super and a 9ZAP WC-2, but do not have a synthesized module for the 9C. Now I can't say for sure about the 9C synthesized module as it is a bit different than the 9Z module, and I've read here that the 9C is not as finicky as the 9Z. But there are some Hitec rx's that my 9Z won't run with the synthesized module, but will run with a fixed frequency module. For example, the synthesized module will run the small Hitec rx (don't remember the number but I think it's a six channel) I have in a trainer I keep around, but it won't run the new 05S micro rx's that I have in my foamies...

This is of course running in PPM mode as the PCM functions are brand specific as noted above, i.e. you must use Futaba PCM rx's with the Futaba tx in PCM mode if you want that to work. Also, it's in the manual but when switching from PPM to PCM, or vice versa, you must cycle the tx power switch to accomplish the change. I've seen a number of posts on the Futaba forum from guys who forget to do that when switching models and can't figure out why it won't work is the reason I mention that.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:19 AM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

FYI.

I have a 9CAP with synth module. I've used it with Hitec 555 and Electron 6 FM recievers without problem.

Of course, YMMV but it seems ok to me.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:58 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Take note that the synth module takes up about 20% more battery power
Old 08-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Toker41

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So how long can I expect to fly on the stock battery in the 9C with synth module?
Old 08-24-2006, 11:20 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you're flying the whole day, get the 2100mah NiMH pack. You could get a 2500mah or 2700mah pack too and fly all weekend.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:22 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's a great radio. I have one. I bought a 2500 mah battery, charge it only three times so far this summer.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:07 PM
combat88

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Could anyone help? I have a 9c super with 72.850mhz, can I simple change the module to 40mhz, use it oversea (Japan)?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Campgems

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's all it takes, swap out the module. One of our guy bought a 9Csuper at a LHS that was closing a month back, $150 for the TX, RX, and four servos. I was so envious. He fly's ham band, 52 MHZ and he just pluged in a ham band RF module and all of his older ham band Futaba receivers work fine. It will also work with the European 35Mhz modules, or a 2.4ghz one.

Don
PS, I've got two 9c's a regular and a super, Great radios. you can't go wrong. The only trouble is that they are no longer sold, you have to step up to a 10C for a new one from Tower or your Futaba dristributor. If you find a new one in a LHS, don't herniate to buy it, and be sure to ask for a discount.