RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

GWS Receivers

Old 08-24-2006, 03:39 PM
waterloged

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GWS Receivers

Thanks for your thoughts...
Old 08-24-2006, 05:19 PM
Chocks_Away

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GWS Receivers

I use them in a couple of park flier sized electric planes, but I wouldn't entrust them to anything any larger than that.
Do yourself a favour, spend the little bit extra on a Futaba if your going to fly something that size !
You may regret it if you don't.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:27 AM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GWS does make some full range receivers, although I've never seen one.

http://www.gwsus.com/english/product/receiver/rd8sl.htm

The Pico receivers have a range of 500 feet and the Naro's about 1000. I wouldn't trust a plane, especially a 1/4 sized plane, to a park flyer Rx.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:48 AM
Chocks_Away

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well the GWS receivers I use in my park fliers are the full range type, with 8 channels, but I still wouldn't trust them in anything larger.

I woudn't trust the smaller type GWS receivers in anything, yet alone park fliers from what stories I have heard about them glitching at such short ranges
Old 08-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well it looks like you're relatively new, so I'll take this question as serious...

I don't understand why you would consider putting in all the work and money on a 1/4 scale model and then attempt to go cheap on possibly the most critical component of the whole system?

IMHO, you need to be running good high quality PCM type rx's from whoever the manufacturer of your tx is; i.e. if your tx is Futaba the rx must be Futaba or the PCM will not work.

There is a lot of discussion on whether or not PCM is a good idea vs. PPM as some feel it is not necessary or that it can mask possible interference problems, particularly with gassers and their ignition systems. Some run range checks in PPM then convert to PCM on a model to verify that no interference exists, others just refuse to run them for various reasons, you'll have to do some more research/reading here and make your own decision on that. I prefer to run PCM on all my models except a trainer I keep around and my foamies.

As for GWS, I don't even run those on my foamies...
Old 08-25-2006, 02:37 PM
waterloged

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thank you for your opinon, i was not trying to go as cheap as i could, I seen the ads for the full sized 7 or 8 channel receivers and the price was so low i just wanted to know if any one had used them. I know GWS makes a lot of electric flyers and wanted to know if the full sized ones were anygood. I get the idea no body likes them thank you very much.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:31 PM
robotronski

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I fly two GWS 4-channel rx's all the time with a JR brand FM transmitter. I have not had one radio glitch after over 2 yrs of flight. I fly them in a foam park flyer model that won't do much harm to itself or others in a crash. I agree with the previous posts, though, don't try to save a buck by running an el-cheapo RX. I fly the GWS recievers since they were the lightest available at the time and I never fly more than 200 feet away. Spend some money and get a nice radio setup. I'd buy a nice PCM (I swear by JR brand equipment for over 13 yrs now!!) setup to protect that large investment of time in that large 1/4 scale model. Best of luck with the project.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:23 PM
waterloged

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Thanks for your opinion, I do use a pcm airtronics and a 6channel futuba fm, but i seen the ad for the 8 channel gws for larger craft and wondered if any one had used them. I am like anyone else and want to protect my investments but that intreged me. Thanks again
Jim S
Old 08-26-2006, 10:35 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In that type of plane I would use a Hitec Electron 6, or supreme 8, depending on the number of channels you need. Nothing less.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:39 AM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: waterloged

Has anyone used or have a valid opion on useing the GWS receiver in 1/4 scale gas or glow planes? They are about half the price of Futaba or Hitec but are they reliable and will they last? I do not want to trash the planes i built from scratch . Thanks for your opions.

Thank you for your opinions. I got the picture now.

I want to clarify , Gws is making a full sized receiver for the big planes and i wondered if anyone has used them or know anything about them. Here is the link to them, Thank you...

http://www.gwsus.com/english/product/receiver/rd8sl.htm
Everyone who replied did so before you added the link to the 8 channel dual conversion receiver. According to the web page this receiver has 2000 foot range. Thats between 1/4 and 1/3 of a mile. I don't know how far out you usually fly. If you know you'll be able to stay within range I think this receiver should be fine.

I did think of something while typing... If the web page doesn't specifically mention gas or glow, they might intend this only for big electrics that don't vibrate like the engine powered models.