Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Good Newbie Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 11:29 AM
Pygmy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Newbie Radio?

What would be a good first radio for me to get? I am looking at something like a Sig LT-40 so what would be okay for this plane? I am looking for a radio that will be able to last for the next two or three planes. Also, is there a HUGE advantage in having a computer radio or would i be better off getting a non-computer radio with more channels?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2003, 12:39 PM
rorywquin

If you are serious about getting into the hobby buy a computer radio - it makes life a lot easier especially if you plan on sticking with it and end up with more than one plane. They are worth the extra money. The average flier does not use more than 4 or sometimes 5 channels most of the time - Aileron, Elevator, Rudder ,Throttle. In a wing with two aileron servos you would need a 5 th channel!

A good entry level computer radio will do everything you will need for a long time!!!!

If you decide you don't like the hobby you can always sell your radio.

Buy something that the guys at your local club recommend and use !
Old 01-08-2003, 12:41 PM
grazzhopper

If I were to do it from the beginning again, I would get the Flash 5X by HiTec. It is the entry level computer radio that comes with decent servos, etc. Very good value. I hear good things about the Airtronics 6000, but it is about 30% more. I bought the Futaba 6xas which is good value, but not the end-all. There are excellent reviews on the Eclipse 7 which is probably all you'ld ever need, and then there is the 9cap which is almost certainly the most you'ld need. To sum up:
1) For your first few planes, the Flash 5X
2) For most of your planes, The 6000 or the 6xas
3) For all but the most discerning tastes, the Eclipse 7
4) For the discriminating connoisseur, Futaba 9cap
5) For unlimited budget, I have no clue
If you are on a very limited budget, then consider the Futaba Skysport 4 which is a non-computer Tx, but nonetheless adequate for trainers. I think Jr is like OS, very nice equipment but over priced. I have to duck now, but before I dive behind the desk, remember that you have to (should) buddy-box at first, so keep that in mind. Enjoy!
Old 01-08-2003, 12:58 PM
grazzhopper

Oh yeah, if you think you might want to crash a heli one day, look hard at the 6000, but not the 6xas. I wish I had...
Old 01-08-2003, 10:55 PM
Pygmy

Ok I'll go down to the field and see what the guys down there have, and what they reccomend. I think now that a flash 5 would be a good entry level radio but i will have to wait and see what everyone down at the field has
Old 01-08-2003, 11:31 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep in mind by shopping around there is not a huge differance in price between a flash 5X (Don,t bother with the 4X) and any of the basic four cheapies.

I find it better to start from the get go with a simple computer radio and in the long run shortens the learning curve for anybody that wants to go beyond basic trainer aircraft. The Flash 5X is what I recommend to all my students from the start.

The Flash 5 will buddy with Hitec and Futaba radios if you purchase your own Hitec buddy cord but not with the Futaba cord.

John
Old 01-11-2003, 08:21 AM
beavertail

A great idea is to look at what the guys are flying near you. I can recommend the JR 421 5 channel computer radio. It has all you need for an intro to rc and few extras to keep you going.
But your probably going to be on a buddy box and Im pretty sure your going to need to have the same company's radio as the guy who is training you..
Old 01-13-2003, 04:59 AM
JohnBuckner

Originally posted by beavertail
Im pretty sure your going to need to have the same company's radio as the guy who is training you.. [/B]

Beavertail that is not quite accurate at least with the Hitec/Futaba combination. Any Hitec FM radio will buddy with Futaba FM radio as long as the Hitec directional cord PN 53810 (one plug is marked Master and the other student) is used. It will not work with a Futaba cord. I frequently train with this combo.

John
Old 01-13-2003, 05:34 AM
beavertail

Well Jon, I did say that I was pretty sure, not quotable. But I do stand semi-corrected. You are correct ,I just dont think it is good practice to teach a trainee that its ok to use different gear with his or hers just cause it usually works. But old habits die hard. right?
Old 01-13-2003, 06:22 AM
JohnBuckner

Nothing I said has anything to do with 'old habits' and I respectfully have to disagree with your suggestion that it is poor practice to inform someone of one combination that is perfectly legal, fully functional, practiced by many and carefully spelled out in the Hitec manual. Transfer of accurate and informed knowledge is indeed always 'good practice' even for the student.

John
Old 01-13-2003, 06:28 AM
beavertail

Sounds good to me, If its in the manual then you cant go wrong then. I was speaking generally.