Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Buzzing servos

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 02:05 AM
Calhob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzing servos

I've just built a GB Tiger 60 and am installing the radio gear. When I connect up the aileron servos (1 in each wing) the servos make a low-pitched buzzing noise, rather like you get when you've got some binding somewhere. But these ones are not yet connected to the ailerons and have no load on them at all. In many years of building and flying I've never had this happen before. The servos work fine and don't jump or anything, just make this low sound. It's not loud and you could miss it if you were not close to the wing, but there's definitely vibration coming from them. All the other servos are quite quiet.

The gear is Futaba 6AX and the servos are S3003s. I've tried other Futaba servos (S148s) and the same thing happens. But it doesn't occur when I connect a Hitec HS500. Got me baffled.

Can anyone suggest what the cause might be?

Old 08-31-2006, 06:03 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Buzzing servos

Calhob,

I'm not sure about Futaba but if there Digital they will make a buzzing noise as they are always looking to center themself. I have had new Hitec 635 servos buzz a little until I made a flight or two and then it was gone. Since you don't have a load on them (hooked to linkage) you might try and work them for a while and see if they get broke in and the buzzing stops. If all else fails, get in touch with Futaba.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:56 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

Zippi. I'm having the same experience (buzzing servos) in my Cap580. The servos are JR DS8411 and they are expensive servos. I am a "Futaba man" and the receiver is Futaba PCM. I switched the receiver from another plane and the servos still make a lot of noise and one side of the elevator "quivers". The radio range checks and I have flown the plane several times with seemingly perfect control.

By the way, the reason for the JR servos...I bought the plane second hand and it was already set up by a "JR man".

Any ideas?

Larry
Old 08-31-2006, 11:09 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

The Futaba 3003's are not digital and should not buzz. You might have bad connectors on the extenders.
The 8411's are digital and will buzz at times.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:33 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's like dirtybird and I said, the Digital servos will buzz as their searching for center always. I'm not sure about the Futaba 3003's. If it's a nice expensive plane you have and your worried about the servos then if I were you I'd replace them. I't cheaper to buy new servos than another plane and new servos.
ORIGINAL: ljones5000

Zippi. I'm having the same experience (buzzing servos) in my Cap580. The servos are JR DS8411 and they are expensive servos. I am a "Futaba man" and the receiver is Futaba PCM. I switched the receiver from another plane and the servos still make a lot of noise and one side of the elevator "quivers". The radio range checks and I have flown the plane several times with seemingly perfect control.

By the way, the reason for the JR servos...I bought the plane second hand and it was already set up by a "JR man".

Any ideas?

Larry
Old 09-01-2006, 02:58 AM
Runway

Just a thought - servos will buzz and twitch if you have strip lighting on, nearby, when you attach the battery to them. I mention it because this caught me out early on in my model building days.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:43 AM
Calhob

Thanks, fellas, for all your comments and suggestions. The problem seems to have fixed itself, as the servos no longer buzz! I think Runway must have been right, as I did have strip lights on in my workshop when I was working on the plane yesterday but not today. Must remember that one!

Calhob