Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

TX Q?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 06:03 PM
tonywayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TX Q?

I posted a Q in the simulator forum about useing my Hitec TX with realflight g3. One sugested i remove the frequency module so i wouldnt burn it up when i had power on for the sim. Anouther said i should extend a section of the antenna. Is this a case and if so can i remove it from my Hitec and how easy is it to do? Can u damage a transmiter by having it on for use with a sim? Tony
Old 01-18-2007, 03:21 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts
Default RE: TX Q?

Running a transmitter generates RF engergy. If the antenna is extended or partially extended then the energy is radiated to the atmosphere. If the antenna is down it has to go somewhere so its radiated as heat, this heat can damage the output stage of the transmitter.

Some transmitters dont radiate when the cord is plugged in, some do, so to be safe I would either extend one section of antenna or pull the module out, if there's no module on the back then just put a section or two of the thickest part of the antenna up.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:21 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All true but don,t pull just one section of antenna out It will still eventually fry he RF section with constant and repeted sessions sitting at a sim for hours. If your Tx is a: Prism 7, Prism 7X, Eclipse 7 or Optic 6 just pop the module out and enjoy your sim. If it is any other Hitec Tx remove the crystal.

No RF will be generated and you will not overheat the RF output.

John
Old 01-19-2007, 08:32 PM
KB9STD
My Feedback: (1)

I'm not personaly familiar with Realflight or their interface.But,I would expect the interface to "Disable" the rf output of the transmitter when it is plugged in.Most trainer cords,and every other simulator interface I have used are capable of doing it.Can You determine whether the the radio is actualy transmitting,while using it for the simulator? Perhaps plug together a receiver,servos,and battery (or one of your planes) nearby while you are using the simulator.
If the radio does indeed transmit while connected to the interface,I would contact Realflight support (I have heard that they are diddicult to get a response from) and bother the Heck out of them until they correct the situation.I don't like the idea of removing the module,or pulling the crystal to disable the rf output(Why put the stress on such a critical conection,When a simple jumper in the end of the interface cable will do the job as designed).
Old 01-21-2007, 02:30 PM
pilotpete2

KB9STD,
If using a simulator requires the Tx to be turned on, then there is no way to disable RF other than pulling the module or crystal. Buddy box cables do not provide that function, all require that the "slave" Tx be turned off, power to run the PPM circuitry of the slave is provided thru the trainer cord from the "master" TX, but this "back door" circuit does not connect to the RF deck, unfortunately most brands of Tx's cannot run on a USB interface cable.
Pete