Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR Service- PRAISE!!!

Old 08-31-2006, 07:18 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR Service- PRAISE!!!

We read horror stories, and think "wow".... glad it's not me.... and sometimes, we read "good news"....
THIS is "good news"....

JR Servo repairs.... sent in some "worn" 8411's and 8231....within a week, the guy calls and says "one of the 8411's and the 8231 aren't economical repairable"....So I get a NIB 8411, 8231.... for WAY less than the cheapest sale price anywhere.

Oh yeah, he also fixed the OTHER two 8411's, and all are really just "like New".
He called me to confirm the repair on MONDAY afternoon......... I received the servos TODAY!!!!!!!!!!

This is DARN fine repair service, and I thought it praise-worthy.

Horizon gets [sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 09-01-2006, 07:18 PM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: JR Service- PRAISE!!!

aerobob, what were the symptoms on your DS8411s? I have 8 DS8411s on a Cap580 33% and the elevator servos flutter badly when I turn on the radio. It is not an ignition issue because the engine is not running.

I talked to someone at Horizon and they suggested RF filters and loosening the screws that hold the servos in....apparently, if there isn't some "play" the servos might bounce back and forth and not get centered, or not get set. Whatever.

I'm going to try some different servos tomorrow and see what happens. By the way, my servos are almost new and shouldn't be worn out.

Larry
Old 09-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Bob Pastorello

Larry - I have 8411's in the wings of my 30% Yak.... and when the ailerons start "bouncing" it is BAD pots and gears, period, no way around it. As bad as I hate to say it, gear train wear in the JR digitals BITES. 8611A's will wear in just a few flights, and there will be slop. Couple that with a heavy control surface, and you got bounce. Once the bouncing starts, bye bye pots....BTDT enough to know.

I have also heard this "loosen the mounting screws" crapola. Ain't happenin on any of MY airplanes, I can tell you.

As much as their service is outstanding, the gear trains are just slop producers in bigger planes. I NEVER had gear wear half as much in my Pattern planes as I do now in 30%'ers.

Frankly, I'd send 'em in, and ask 'em about "opening up deadband", so they won't beat themselves to death trying to center all the time.

I have heard from many that the Hitec TG servos are THE non-slop setup.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:50 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

Aerobob, you were exactly right. I borrowed a new DS 8411A from my LHS to see if it would "bounce" and it did not( he was out of the DS 8411).

So he has ordered new servos for me and will send the bad ones back to Horizon. If the new 8411s don't last any longer than these did, my next servo will not be a JR. By the way, I did try the RF filters with no effect.

Thanks for your help.

Larry
Old 09-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Bob Pastorello

GLad to help - you probably know this, but DON'T fly the SA version on a 33% airplane.... they have nylon gears and can strip under heavy loads. These things abuse servos, no doubt about it, and the MG systems are getting better, but they ain't there yet.