Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

XtremeLink™ - 2.4GHz for Futaba, JR, and Hitec radios

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

XtremeLink™ - 2.4GHz for Futaba, JR, and Hitec radios

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:57 PM
tomswrld
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: XtremeLink™ - 2.4GHz for Futaba, JR, and Hitec radios

Thanks. If this proves out , every gas burner who ever had to chase down the cause of the jitters will HAVE to have one. I assume that metal to metal contact caused RFI will also be history?! Tom
Old 09-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to spend $ to replace stuff that works but in this case it seems the way to go. I can't wait for a review of the product in a gasser!!
Old 09-08-2006, 08:12 AM
RVM

Will metal and carbon tubing running throughout the fuse interfere with this like it can with our "normal" rx?
Old 09-08-2006, 09:03 AM
backroadrider69
My Feedback: (9)

Jim,

This is the best news for RC since the old proportional systems came out in the 60's!

If it eliminates all of the RF interference from ign and metal to metal & metal to carbon that will be a big plus.

Will we still be able to run 2 receivers in GS planes?

Thanks,
Butch
Old 09-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would recommend that we formulate all of our concerns into questions that can be addressed when the product is released.
Those things that Xtremelink has addressed can be answered. Those things that haven't been addressed may be investigated by members and reported back to Xtreme power systems. I think is is very constructive from an input perspective. We need to be make sure that we don't expect all aspect to be covered or even known during the first release. This is new for our industry and hobby. We need to make sure that we allow them to do post release evaluation and not to jump on any one issue that develops.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:31 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

read the existing publications -
as for spark interference -
some is strong enough to cross all the frequencies /bands etc..
look at a scope of strong spark plug hash
Old 09-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Skaluf

ORIGINAL: JimDrew

The AMA was made aware of the system many months ago. I think the Spektrum radio system has shown that 2.4GHz itself has no real problems. We have just taken it to the next level, and supported your existing equipment.
Hi Jim, As the AMA Technical Director I'm surprised at this particular statement. I was not aware of this particular system until three days ago. I'm very interested in talking to you, please give me a call.

Steve Kaluf
AMA Technical Director
765-287-1256 ext 230
E-Mail: [email protected]
Old 09-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

deleted due to lack of patience
Old 09-08-2006, 01:17 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Geistware

I would recommend that we formulate all of our concerns into questions that can be addressed when the product is released.
Those things that Xtremelink has addressed can be answered. Those things that haven't been addressed may be investigated by members and reported back to Xtreme power systems. I think is is very constructive from an input perspective. We need to be make sure that we don't expect all aspect to be covered or even known during the first release. This is new for our industry and hobby. We need to make sure that we allow them to do post release evaluation and not to jump on any one issue that develops.
Is this OK to ask?

"Can I watch this system being used to fly a plane anywhere on the West Coast soon?"

I would think that most people would want to see this system work before they tried it in their plane?

If that is OK, I will ask the question:

xtremepowersystems,

Can I watch this system being used to fly a plane anywhere on the West Coast soon?

Thanks,

OH PS how much latency is introduced by this module?

Old 09-08-2006, 01:50 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Skaluf

The AMA was made aware of the system many months ago. I think the Spektrum radio system has shown that 2.4GHz itself has no real problems. We have just taken it to the next level, and supported your existing equipment.
Hi Jim, As the AMA Technical Director I'm surprised at this particular statement. I was not aware of this particular system until three days ago. I'm very interested in talking to you, please give me a call.

Steve Kaluf
AMA Technical Director
765-287-1256 ext 230

Jim, have you followed up on this?
Have you contacted the technical director?
Old 09-08-2006, 05:00 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Where will the AMA stand on this new system? Dennis
Old 09-08-2006, 06:13 PM
A10FLYR

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Is this OK to ask?

"Can I watch this system being used to fly a plane anywhere on the West Coast soon?"

I would think that most people would want to see this system work before they tried it in their plane?

If that is OK, I will ask the question:

xtremepowersystems,

Can I watch this system being used to fly a plane anywhere on the West Coast soon?

Thanks,

OH PS how much latency is introduced by this module?

[sm=lol.gif] Matt, Matt....
Old 09-08-2006, 07:13 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What on earth are you TALKING about? Your post makes no sense to me.

Whatever.

This sounds good to me. The JR Spektrum system works perfectly. This is just the same idea with longer range and telemetry added. Extreme is not the only one with one of these in the works.
As a matter of fact, sure looks like the Extreme stuff is not even in production yet, and don't be surprised if some other radio manufacturer actually hits the streets with a production system before Extreme does.

Looks great, the telemetry part sounds great, the fact that you can use it in your existing radio sounds great.

My concerns are really with build quality and such, I hope they are well made...you see some really shabbily-built electronics out there nowadays, and you often see nice prototypes like the ones they are flying right now shabbily duplicated by factories overseas, and the seller does not even know how bad they are until the shipment arrives. Not saying this is the case with this product, but it's a concern of mine.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how people could assume such a system would be totally immune to RF interference, or carbon fiber or metal blocking your signal...wow.

So....anyway...this all sounds great. To me, it's not a revolution, I think it's been a long time coming, and I KNOW others are working on it, one major radio manufacturer has one scheduled for later this year already, I hope the extreme equipment is good, no reason to beleive that it is not everything they say it is.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:26 PM
hilgert

For what it's worth, below are some "reality check" items and concerns I would have at this point (there are several others, but this is the top of my list):

[ul][*]12-bit resolution. You can't make 4096 steps out of a 1024 step PPM signal. If a TX is 10-bit (1024), and puts out a 10-bit PPM signal, and the TX transmits it at 12-bits (4096), it is still does not have *ANY* more resolution that the original PPM signal. You can't turn lead into gold.
[*]Multipathing problems with one RX antenna. Spektrum worked for years on this and could not find a solution that would allow one antenna for reliable reception. This article by Cisco (who have a bit of experience in this area) would be useful to review: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk72...8019f646.shtml. Also, while I am not an expert in RF propogation characteristics, I find it hard to believe the copper-plated pc board, along with all of the other metal gizmos in the TX (like the battery), would not have *some* effect on the radiation pattern when the plane is directly overhead (think soar planes) and the TX is level to the ground.
[*]10ms update. If the PPM frame rate of the host TX is 22.5ms (or whatever), doubling it does nothing in terms of accuracy or resolution. If the RX updates the servos more frequently then great (better "hold"). The effective update rate can *NOT* be more than the *actual* update rate of the TX, which is about 22.5ms. However, given the problems that having only one RX antenna (see above) might present, it would be good to have more possible frames get through, so 10ms *may* help to mask the one-antenna issue.
[*]Testing, testing, testing. Months and months of real-world testing needs to be done. Make a few dozen units and give a couple to a few experienced club members at a few clubs around the country for safe flight testing. Heck, myself and Nicetie (on RCG) will offer to do some independent range testing like we have done (and continue to do) with the Spektrum system - just send us a JR TX module and an RX, and off we go.
[*]I caution everyone about holding-off on buying Spektrum or other TX's because of the "next great thing". Experience will show that going from prototype to test units to production of 1000's of units is not a short process. I predict that if there are production units available in mid-October, they will be limited in number. But, I'd be happy to be wrong as I'd like to try these things out with some thorough field testing.
[/ul]
All that said, I sincerely hope that this system IS a success. While I am a large supporter of the Spektrum system (I think they got much of the technology right the first time, especially the dual-receiver thing), I am also critical of their decsion to not pursue the obvious approach, which Jim Drew has picked-up on. And that's a MODULAR SYSTEM that will fit into EXISTING EXPENSIVE TX's that people ALREADY OWN (which is the foundation for many of the Spektrumization mods that have been done). For that I appreciate the efforts of Jim and his team, and hope all the best. I'll certainly be in line to buy and support these once they are field-proven.

I am sure I will upset a few people with this post, but I am used to upseting people (ask the AMA regarding the XP6102DX mod). To me, we users, and especially the DIY crowd, have a duty to push back on any and all claims to help ensure the best products are in the field. I'm sure Jim would agree, since he is pushing back on the rest of the TX manufactures and Spektrum as well, by listening to what we REALLY want, and that is modules for our expensive TX's that we already own.

-Hilgert
Old 09-08-2006, 10:36 PM
hilgert

ORIGINAL: Skaluf

Steve Kaluf
AMA Technical Director
765-287-1256 ext 230
Well THAT's interesting. When I did the original XP6102DX modification Steve and I spent much time on the phone and via email discussing the mod, and Steve was very helpful in getting it "non-prohibited" by working within the AMA and with the FCC for clarification. Of the times I called Steve, I would say he answered the phone himself on the 2nd ring 80% of the time. Very reachable. How did you make the AMA "aware" of this?

-Hilgert
Old 09-08-2006, 11:24 PM
JimDrew
My Feedback: (16)

Steve,

The President, Vice-President, and every board member of the AMA was notified about this system more than 3 months ago.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:26 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

I wonder how this system works (or would?) with a dual rx setup that a lot of folks flying giant scale use?
Old 09-09-2006, 10:49 AM
yjahn
My Feedback: (71)

Will it work with Spektrum AR6000?
Old 09-09-2006, 01:36 PM
ycchu

Checked out the ExtremePower System Web Site.

All their "listed products" (say a 10 KW speed control, buying out a lipo factory in China to produce the best batteries with “cell blasting”technology etc) are too good to be true. Wishful thinking for every RC Modeler. None of the products are available. After all the whole thing may just be a joke.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:40 PM
hilgert

Yes, this does seem to be the pattern - a lot of sizzle but no actual fire. Their web site has been this way for many months - very unprofessional. Most sites would not put anything up until it is "real" or close to real.

If you want some fun go to their ordering pages and order some stuff. First click on "Products" on the right-hand side, then click on "All Products" in the page. From there you should be able to order scanners, printers and something called a "Cheap Test Product" (for only a penny!!!). If you can't get there then use the following link: [link=http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/products.php]http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/products.php[/link]. Loads of fun...for about 30 seconds.

Of course this will probably be "fixed" (finally) after this post, but should work for a bit I would hope. I have mentioned this to them before, and the answer I got back was that having a site that is non-functional is better than having no site at all. Not sure if I agree with that...

Enjoy...

-Hilgert
Old 09-09-2006, 03:40 PM
flyinrazrback

I know they dont answer emails and do not have a phone number.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:38 PM
hilgert

ORIGINAL: flyinrazrback

I know they dont answer emails and do not have a phone number.
Jim Drew does answer PMs, as least he has in the past for me on RCGroups.com.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:59 PM
ArCeeFlyer

ORIGINAL: hilgert
If you want some fun go to their ordering pages and order some stuff. First click on "Products" on the right-hand side, then click on "All Products" in the page. From there you should be able to order scanners, printers and something called a "Cheap Test Product" (for only a penny!!!). If you can't get there then use the following link: [link=http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/products.php]http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/products.php[/link]. Loads of fun...for about 30 seconds.
I believe that page is simply showing sample products from the shopping cart installation. They just haven't deleted them yet and implemented their own products. I have tinkered around with installing shopping cart software before and the sample products are usually computer products. I could be wrong. It just looks that way to me, especially reading the description on the "Cheap Test Product". Looks more like a tip on how to use the software.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:15 PM
flyinrazrback

I have sent them a few emails, and sent him a PM on here, nothing. Not the good way to win over customers who are waiting on a product IMO.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:38 PM
hilgert

ORIGINAL: ArCeeFlyer

ORIGINAL: hilgert
I believe that page is simply showing sample products from the shopping cart installation. They just haven't deleted them yet and implemented their own products. I have tinkered around with installing shopping cart software before and the sample products are usually computer products. I could be wrong. It just looks that way to me, especially reading the description on the "Cheap Test Product". Looks more like a tip on how to use the software.
I think you might be missing my point here (respectfully - not trying to flame you). My point is that their web site has been that way for many months (I know, as I have visited many times), and I have actually given specific feedback on this. Just does not look professional to still have scanners and printers on a RC site - why not take 10 minutes and replace them with planes or something. Or, better yet, don't even have the cart active (or at least not linked) where people can even try it. It is like much of the stuff we are hearing in this thread.

However, as an engineer I do tend to be a bit more skeptical of magic potion claims than most, and I am always wary of salesmen selling "the next greatest thing." The web site is just one indication of a lack of thoroughness in the process, but an indication nonetheless. It's much like putting the cart before the horse. There would be no disadvantage to waiting until the product has been thoroughly tested before marketing it. Heck, with the rate at which the Spektrum system has taken off, would anyone doubt this would sell if it can be made to work as claimed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.