Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hi tec reliablility

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 09:42 PM
beavertail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi tec reliablility

I just wanted to get some unbias opinion on Hitec, And I DID, GOOD and BAD.
I didnt mean to get you Hitec guys's panties in a bunch, maybe I should have turned down my input in this. Ill probably end up trying Hitec anyway, ok!! Thanks alot for all your input. GOOD and BAD!
Old 01-26-2003, 08:35 AM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

Default Just my own experience.....

I have just bought two HS-5735mg digital 1/4 scale servos. I am using them in my 1/5th sclae FG competition car. The first one screamed for its life for about 7 minuts got sooo HOT you couldnt touch the heat sink and abruptly died a sudden death. This isnt a cheap servo at $75.00 mail order! The second one? I dont know yet but if it fails also, I will sell every Hitec servo I own (over 20) and tell anyone who will listen how much Hitec price is in direct relation to the quality you get, including the high end stuff because thats all I own. This first failure isnt a good start. I also bought 2 HS5945MG which are rated at .13 and 180.53 OZIN at 6.0 volt, and at 100.00. I will keep everyone updated as I intend to push these servos to the limit, and expect better results than the first HS-5735MG....
Old 01-26-2003, 04:21 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hitec reliability

I read this thread with interest not as a Hitec user or someone who has much interest in buying this brand but as a long term Multiplex owner. Here in Europe Multiplex has a deserved reputation for reliability. There are many commenting on this thread that Hitec is no worse than the others, they only fail now and again. I have been using Muliplex for 17 years and I have NEVER experience ANY failure of ANYTHING that had their name on it. SO the gentleman who say he hopes that Hitec can bring Multiplex up to the standard of Hitec, you have it wrong. I speak for many others here when I say our concern is that Hitec will drag Multiplex down to their level. As for the gentleman who has had 4 failures in two years, you have my condolences sir, they must have been picking on you personally or you are just plain unlucky. As for whether you can get MPX equipment or not is another matter. Usually you have to wait. If Hitec can fix that problem and do something about their marketing (like have some), whilst leaving the R&D to continue to innovate, and the factory to produce super reliable radio (100% in my case and most others I know). If Hitec have any sense they will adpot more than just Multiplex's design for 10 year old digital servos and adopt some of their design and engineering too. If they then build these products in their robotic factory the future could be very bright for all MPX and Hitec users. But, ....
I have seen many models crash due to equipment failure. Hitec servos have certainly featured in some of these. Personally I have owned two in a D/F model purchased with servos fitted. At the end of the first season there was so much slop in the gear train that I changed them for MPX micro digitals and relegated the Hitecs to lesser functions such as retract switches. One of them has subsequently failed! (50% failure rate - OK very small sample!)
Regards,

John.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:56 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Years ago ago when Multiplex was trying to make it into the North American market they too were stigmatized. Of course most of the stigma was based on first hand experience and /or witnessed events .

Hitec is no better nor worse than the other Asian made stuff . They do however have a very liberal warranty and repair policy. The folks who represent them in public are far more honorable than some of the folks at one of thier competitors have been in the past.

Hitec stands behind thier product and the reps stand by the customers ,a real good way to do business
Old 01-26-2003, 06:16 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Todd

I have yet to hear of failure with the 5735 Jumbo servo... What radio are you using? 6.0 volts? Wyes or extensions? I know several GS car enthusiast's with the 5735's on board and they love them...

The 5735's can be purchased for $70.00 from numerous mail order suppliers. The 5945's can be had for $80.00.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:06 PM
Hullheli

Default A couple questions.

I have been setting up using Ted Wilds instruction sheet. First question, I have set all throttle curves for Normal, Idle 1, and Idle 2 to the same values. When I am in Normal and I switch to Idle 1 or Idle2 the throttle servo backs off, (closes carb about 15 %). Is that normal for the Eclipse 7. I am using the HS-425BB servos.
Second question, I have the Futaba GY401 Gyro and the Futaba S9253 Digital servo for rudder control. Digital in turned on on the gyro, limit is 95% and delay is zero. The gyro makes a constant chattering type noise, no mater what mode (normal, or AVCS) it is in. The LED acts like the manual says, and when I turn the heli it does move the rudder. I have not yet flown it . Just doing set up and bench testing.
Thanks for your help.
Derek
Old 01-27-2003, 03:45 AM
dmajchrzak
My Feedback: (17)

I fly Hitec RX, TX and servos. Love 'em

Only failure was an HS-300 (discontinued).

I will continue to buy Hitec.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:29 AM
DSA.308

Mglavin, I am using a Airtronics M8 radio with a Novac rec. a 3000MAH Nickelmetalhydride battery. I am unsure but think it is a six-volt. Why do you ask about the battery? Is using 6 volts a no-no with digitals? Please do tell, if this is the case. Besides this one failure I love my Hiteks no matter what anyone says, they work good, prices are even better, and so far their service has been second TO NO-ONE! Including the biggies. NO LIE!
Old 02-05-2003, 04:03 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Originally posted by TODD MARSH
Mglavin, I am using a Airtronics M8 radio with a Novac rec. a 3000MAH Nickelmetalhydride battery. I am unsure but think it is a six-volt. Why do you ask about the battery? Is using 6 volts a no-no with digitals? Please do tell, if this is the case. Besides this one failure I love my Hiteks no matter what anyone says, they work good, prices are even better, and so far their service has been second TO NO-ONE! Including the biggies. NO LIE!
Todd

The 3000mAh battery is a car pack, no? If so six cells is 1.2 x 6 = 7.4V... To much for the servos.... Use a regulator or if your using five cells, no problem. The Airtronics equipment is wired differently than other companies [at least the old stuff]. But, you have a Novak RX which is wired the same as the rest. Is/was your servo connector wired for OLD Airtonics or is it a Hitec/Futba/JR type connector and wired accordingly...
Old 02-05-2003, 05:52 AM
DSA.308

I am sorry, it is a five cell pack! On the Novac reciever,, it is brand-new as well as the M8 Airtronics, and the literature that was included stated clearly, just as you pointed out, some of the older equiptment is in fact wired different but my application is updated and is wired to work with all the new equiptment, so this couldnt be the problem.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:00 PM
rondehl

Default RE: Hi tec reliablility

Let's talk receivers, especially the 555 micro.
I put a scratch built Stephens Akro in last fall on total aileron failure. On checking the radio afterwards, I found that tapping the receiver resulted in servos going to extreme with no control from transmitter. Another tap and servos returned to neutral with trans control. Problem per Hitec was a bad circuit board land connection. They replaced it with a new 555 micro at my cost.
Fast forward to this summer. Completed a new 1/4 scale Akro and using the new receiver, proceded to set up controls and throws when after about ten minutes, I noticed a gradual slowing of aileron servos until they just stopped????? Waited awhile and all seemed okay until they slowed and stopped again. At this, other servos showed glitches and so I removed all gear and observed the same condition that put my plane in last year, i.e. slight tapping produced failure with no transmitter control!!!!
I use a two aileron setup outboard in the wings via a shielded cable Y setup that I've used for years in two other 1/4 scale planes, although with the 8 channel supreme receiver - never a problem!
The radio is presently in Poway< Ca. for analysis!
Has anyone out there experienced problems with these 555 micros in large applications (Akro is a 91 Surpass powered job) ?
I suspect some kind of overload on a receiver component that causes gradual failure in a two servo setup. Hitec keeps giving me the same standard answer "we have'nt experienced any problems". Also, I requested an upgrade to a supreme receiver with credit for the 555 I paid for and they wo'nt do it. How's that for marketing!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2004, 02:21 PM
AirBearMA
My Feedback: (1)

While most of my receivers are Futaba as well as my main Tx (9C), I have used Hitec Servos almost exclusively in all my planes. My Park Flyers have either 50's or 55's and all my giant scales have a mix of Hitec Digitals. So far no problems...

If you are connecting many servos through long Y's or even single servos with long (24 to 48" cables), you are best served using a Powerbox which will eliminate the possibility of glitches especially with long Y cables on Digital Servos (from any manufacturer). When you consider the overall cost of a Giant Scale, the added price of a Powerbox is relatively small.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:05 PM
rondehl

Airbear; Thanks for the comment. However, I'm not experiencing glitches but the overall cooking of the receiver!
Like I said, These are not all that long of a wye and it is shielded cable that I use in other 1/4 scale planes. The others have 8 channel Supreme receivers with never a problem. I apparently cooked two 555's with this same setup?????
Old 08-28-2004, 08:18 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

I've got one 555 receiver in a SPA3D and have literally beaten the crap out of it, oils been on it etc. and never a problem. The receiver is about 3 or 4 years old. No problems with the Supreme's either. Using a Futaba 8UAFS transmitter.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:56 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: rondehl
Has anyone out there experienced problems with these 555 micros in large applications (Akro is a 91 Surpass powered job) ?
I know that many people fly many models using Hitec FM receivers and never have a problem but I *really* think you ought to consider moving to a more modern design when you're flying something as big as a 91-powered ship.

There's nothing at all wrong with Hitec's receivers, indeed they are the best plain-jane FM receivers money can buy -- it's just that technology has moved on significantly in the past 4-5 years and now, for the same price (or less) you can get receivers that are every bit as selective, sensitive and reliable but which have the huge added bonus of using an intelligent computer-based decoder circuit.

These receivers (such as the FMA M5/M8 and Berg DSP range) are at the very least a far *SAFER* option for a big and potentially deadly plane.

The computer in these receivers constantly checks the received signal for validity and, if interference or in some cases a even another transmitter on the same channel is detected, the bad data is automatically rejected.

This normally means that instead of your servos gyrating wildly in response to interference or a rogue transmitter, the most likely effect will be that the servos still follow your command inputs but may do so more slowly -- since a lesser percentage of the data being received is unaffected by the interference.

In the case of the slightly more expensive receivers, they'll also drop into failsafe mode after a second or so of total signal loss. Just as with PCM equipment, this failsafe can be programmed to move the servos to any predetermined position for the duration of the interference then immediately restore them to the commanded positions once a valid signal is restored.

If these receivers were more expensive than the outdated Hitec units I could understand why people might be reluctant to use them but the fact is that they're almost exactly the same price -- and in some cases even cheaper!

Spending $50-$60 on one of these new generation receivers is damned cheap insurance against losing that expensive plane and perhaps causing injury because of unexpected interference or some idiot who turns his transmitter on in the pits without realising you are already flying on his channel.

Hitec make some good stuff and I use their servos exclusively -- but all my outdated Hitec receivers now sit in a box under my bench while my models are fitted with FMA and Berg receivers.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:25 PM
carrellh

Just curious........

Why revive a thread that has been dead for 18 months?
Old 08-29-2004, 04:52 PM
rondehl

Sorry! I'm a newcomer to this forum. Did I miss something in your message????? I don't understand!