Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thottle Fail Safe (info please)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 10:27 AM
rayt1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thottle Fail Safe (info please)

There are a few flying fields that all AC flying there demo a fail safe for the thottle. When the transmitter is turned off the thottle must go to the closed position. Triple Tree (Joe Nall) in SC is one of these. PCM radio's have this feature in their setup but PPM radio's do not. I am using a PPM radio and I'm using a fail safe made by ONFA which is normally used on RC cars. This unit works in my plane with no problems. I'm getting some flak on this because some people say the unit is used with cars and may not be ok in the plane. The unit is electronic and works witrh 4.7 volts. When it does not receive the 4.7 volts (transmitter not transmitting ot receiver battery dead) it will shut the thottle and kill the engine which is what the event director is looking for. My question, is there another fail safe unit that I should look at for planes?

Thanks
Ray Tarkenton
Old 09-07-2006, 10:43 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Thottle Fail Safe (info please)

Ray:

I would not know of any reason you cannot use your car unit. There are many radio "goodies" that span the relm of aircraft, boats and cars. I doubt your unit knows (or cares) whether it is controlling the throttle on a car or airplane. There is another option however.

You can use a Hi-Tec digital servo on the throttle. Hi-Tec makes a "low end" digital that retails in the low $30.00 range. Last time I got some I paid $33.00/ea at the LHS. I don't remember the model number. Only drawback to this option is that you either have to have the Hi-Tec servo programmer or have access to one. I have one since I use a lot of Hi-Tec servos. My LHS has one that he lets people use. These are pretty popular units among the Hi-Tec crowd so you should be able to locate someone who has one that will let you setup some failsafe throttles.

Dan
Old 09-07-2006, 12:59 PM
rayt1

Dant

Your first paragraph was my thoughts exactly. Being totally electronic I could not see anyway it would know if it was in a car or plane as long as the voltage was there. I didn't know about the Hi-Tec servo. Thanks. Will keep it in mind.

Thanks again
Ray Tarkenton
Old 09-08-2006, 02:49 AM
leszek_k

Get yourself one of Multiplex IPD receivers and that's it. IPD has a fail safe built-in. Just set it the way you like.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:41 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Ray,
If it works, it works, just tell them you have a failsafe on throttle and it is none of there business how, so long as you can demonstrate that the engine dies when the TX is turned off you are perfectly legal.
ORIGINAL: rayt1

There are a few flying fields that all AC flying there demo a fail safe for the thottle. When the transmitter is turned off the thottle must go to the closed position. Triple Tree (Joe Nall) in SC is one of these. PCM radio's have this feature in their setup but PPM radio's do not. I am using a PPM radio and I'm using a fail safe made by ONFA which is normally used on RC cars. This unit works in my plane with no problems. I'm getting some flak on this because some people say the unit is used with cars and may not be ok in the plane. The unit is electronic and works witrh 4.7 volts. When it does not receive the 4.7 volts (transmitter not transmitting ot receiver battery dead) it will shut the thottle and kill the engine which is what the event director is looking for. My question, is there another fail safe unit that I should look at for planes?

Thanks
Ray Tarkenton
Old 09-08-2006, 10:38 AM
scottsr

Now there's the answer just tell them you have one and it is none of there business . That will surly win them over . I'm sure when you say that they will say well Yes Sir You go right in I guess he told us !!! NOT !!!! I don't think that is going to work . I'm sure though if you can show them that your system works the way it is intended , then yes I don't think that it should matter what system you use . If it performs in front of the tec's then I don't think they would take it any further . Just don't use the None of their business quote . Happy Flying
Old 09-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Jim_McIntyre

PCM radio's have this feature in their setup but PPM radio's do not.
I am using a PPM radio ...
hint. hint.

Imo you're already safer the rest of the PPM flyers out there just by adding the fail-safe unit. I would tell them you're flying PPM and leave it at that. Too much information leads to confusion for some minds....
Old 09-08-2006, 12:32 PM
rayt1

I want to thank you guys for the product info and your support. I'm a average pilot and trying to make myself better and more safe so I think the requirement for the failsafe at these fields is OK. Wish my friends in our club would think the same.

This forum is great.

Blue sky and safe flying

Ray Tarkenton